Windows 10: 64 bit tower moves at the speed of a glacier

Discus and support 64 bit tower moves at the speed of a glacier in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; An ASUS tower running Home Premium. The slowness of this tower is incredible and it begins from the moment it's powered on, so it's not internet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by boweasel, Dec 2, 2016.

1. boweasel Win User

64 bit tower moves at the speed of a glacier

An ASUS tower running Home Premium. The slowness of this tower is incredible and it begins from the moment it's powered on, so it's not internet related. It seems to run no faster in safe mode with networking. I have done all the following with only minimal improvement.

• Run Malwarebytes through twice. The first time it found problems, but they were only PUPs. I did quarantine them and later ran a second scan, which was clean.
    • Run RogueKiller. That found several things, the worst of which was Zero Access. I removed everything it found.
    • Adwcleaner. This also found several items which were cleaned. A subsequent scan found nothing
    • CCleaner. Ran the Cleaner and removed the everything it found. Ran the registry cleaner as well
    • Used the taskmgr and removed everything but Defender (the anti-virus) from the Startup
    • Ran Autoruns and removed everything from the logon but Defender. Aldo removed the checkmarks from any files or folders not found
    • Ran the free-for-30-days version of Hit Man Pro 3. It found a lot of minor items which it was able to remove. A second running found nothing that it deemed 'removable'
    • Opened an admin command prompt and ran chkdsk /r /f. On W10 of course it never takes you to the black screen where it displays the progress of those 5 stages. Here, it got to 10% within 3 minutes where it has stayed for the last 7 hours

I'm sort of out of ideas. I haven't tried FRST (never used it), have not tried RKill or TDSKiller. I have gone into Windows+I and said to reinstall Windows without losing any personal files. When I went back to it hours later it was on the sign on screen. I entered the password but saw no improvement and I don't know where to check to see if it completed successfully.

I have downloaded Tweaking's Windows Repair Tool, but have not run it. I WAS waiting for chkdsk to complete, but since that thing is stuck at 10%....

:)

boweasel, Dec 2, 2016
  2. abitamike Win User

I wish to change from 32 bit to 64 bit in Windows 10

I wish to change from 32 bit to 64 bit in Windows 10.How do I change this? and yes my system has enough ram, storage as well as cpu speed.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

abitamike, Dec 2, 2016
  3. Trying to install Windows 10 home from USB stick

it's an Acer tower, it run well and it's 32 bits

ADM 64 athlon 3800+ 6 gig ram

I have no problem with the computer on it's own

RonChampagne, Dec 2, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

It would be helpful if you filled in your system specs.

One thing I would suggest is a clean install.

swarfega, Dec 2, 2016
  5. Neemobeer Win User
    I second a clean install. Since you found malware, chances are there are more on the system and/or the removed malware may have damaged system files.

Neemobeer, Dec 2, 2016
  6. boweasel Win User
    We have several computers here, so filling in specs is problematic. I know it has 4 GBs of RAM and I don't know the processor. I can't think of any more specifications that you'd find helpful.

And while I'm fine with a clean install, installing it on a drive that may be on it's last legs would seem to be a waste of effort. That's why I thought the chkdsk would be sensible.

boweasel, Dec 2, 2016
  7. swarfega Win User
    You can Google for piriform speccy which is a handy tool for finding out what hardware you have in your case.

4gb of ram isn't much these days so it could be a bottleneck.

swarfega, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 64 bit tower moves at the speed of a glacier - Similar Threads - bit tower moves

2. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS: Currently, I run windows 10 home 32 Bit on a 64 Bit processor. I am looking to upgrade the OS to 64 Bit but I don’t want to reinstall Windows as the computer is from a relative who passed away and was working on a application for training pilots. As there is no exe installer,...
  3. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS: Currently, I run windows 10 home 32 Bit on a 64 Bit processor. I am looking to upgrade the OS to 64 Bit but I don’t want to reinstall Windows as the computer is from a relative who passed away and was working on a application for training pilots. As there is no exe installer,...
  4. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Moving to Windows 10 64 bit from a 32 bit version

Moving to Windows 10 64 bit from a 32 bit version: What are the minimum requirements for the 64-bit version and how can i upgrade my windows to it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-to-windows-10-64-bit-from-a-32-bit-version/809e16a6-6fc2-4967-b5ce-a15d595022b3
  6. 64 bits

in Windows 10 Customization
    64 bits: How can I play older pc games on a 64 bit windows? None of them will load. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/64-bits/b1eedd07-2134-4b35-a533-c1ff77d64d10
  7. Copy speed very slow in windows 10 64 bit and windows 7 64 bit

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy speed very slow in windows 10 64 bit and windows 7 64 bit: I bought a usb 3.0 data transfer cable for my home work station to allow moderately sized file transfer between two PC's. Installed the cable drivers (PCLinq) on both PCs (windows 7 64 bit and windows 10 64 bit). The software on both machines is painfully slow, you press...
  8. 64 BIT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    64 BIT: how do i change to a 64 bit os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/64-bit/841df499-3216-4aa0-b30c-6d666638c63a
  9. 64 bit to 32 bit

in Windows 10 Support
    64 bit to 32 bit: Have a Asus laptop with 64 bit system loaded win10 64 bit used 89% of ram contacted Asus unit not suitable for win 10 is there a way to run win10 32 bit on a 64 bit system as this should use less ram. . 39318
  10. W10 gradual move to 64 bit

W10 gradual move to 64 bit: This maybe a strange question but at the moment I have W10 32 bit working well on one of my machines. Also loaded on the machine are many other programmes which I use on a daily basis plus loads of links etc. to my network and backup facilities. I want to upgrade the...