Windows 10: 64Gb RAM on Gigabyte Z170 MB, GTX 980 Ti, Only 61.6 Usable RAM

Discus and support 64Gb RAM on Gigabyte Z170 MB, GTX 980 Ti, Only 61.6 Usable RAM in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I know the "Hardware Reserved" memory topic has been discussed many many times, but I read through many posts, people who experience this problem often... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by toyssamurai, Nov 6, 2015.

1. 64Gb RAM on Gigabyte Z170 MB, GTX 980 Ti, Only 61.6 Usable RAM

I know the "Hardware Reserved" memory topic has been discussed many many times, but I read through many posts, people who experience this problem often report that they have unusually high reserved memory, which is different from my case.

I have a Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH motheboard, 64Gb RAM, with a nVidia GTX 980 Ti. I am not using the onboard Intel Graphics, and as far as I can tell, I have disabled the only line related to it in the BIOS. In Windows 10, the System control panel reports that there is 64Gb RAM, but only 61.6 Gb is usable. The Task Manager shows that the 2.4 Gb RAM is "Hardware Reserved".

According to many posts I read, and Microsoft's own website, it is NORMAL for the OS to reserve some RAM for hardware usage. That, I have no problem with. However, when I checked my Windows 8.1 machine (64 bit), its System control panel reports that all my 8Gb RAM on that machine is available -- although, that machine's Task Manager does show that 1Gb RAM is hardware reserve.

My question is, is it normal? 2.4Gb out of 64Gb is not a not, and if it's reserved for hardware, I have no problem with that. But, why doesn't my old 8.1 machine's System control panel report the same condition while it also reserves 1Gb for hardware usage? From what I can tell from posts eightforums, even older Windows OS's System control panel would deduct the reserved memory out from the usable RAM.

:)

toyssamurai, Nov 6, 2015

2. I have 8GB of installed RAM, yet only 7.47GB is usable.

Hi,

I'm having a slight problem with the amount of usable RAM on Win 10 64-bit. When I initially upgraded my desktop to have 8GB of RAM, I had 7.89GB of RAM usable. I recently upgraded my CPU to an i5-4690, and to do this I had to perform a BIOS upgrade. After
    the BIOS upgrade, I still had 7.89GB of RAM usable with the on-board GPU disabled and my GTX 1050 Ti being used. However, after a restart, my amount of available RAM suddenly switched to 7.12GB. To follow this up, I changed the memory allocation to the onboard
    GPU in BIOS to the minimum (320MB), which surprisingly brought the amount of usable RAM up to 7.47GB, even though the onboard-GPU was and is disabled in BIOS and completely uninstalled from Device Manager. I'm clueless as to why I cannot use 7.89GB of RAM
    again even though the onboard Intel HD 4600 is disabled. I've tried multiple forums and no solutions have helped so far. My specs are Intel Core i5-4690, 8GB RAM (2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX), EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB and Windows 10 Home 64-bit. It's a GIGABYTE
    H81M-DS2V mobo. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Roan.

Roan Knowles, Nov 6, 2015
  3. And8717 Win User
    System Shared Memory

Hi,

I have this issue:

I installed a new GPU on my PC (GeForce GTX 1050 Ti) and after that my System information has changed so..

Before:

Installed Memory (RAM): 16.00 GB

After:

Installed Memory (RAM): 16.00 GB (7.95 GB usable)

Now I have 2 questions:

• is possible decrease or disable the Shared System Memory? (I can't from bios)
    • in my video card info the Shared System Memory amounts to 4070 MB where are the others 4 GB of my RAM..
      why only 7.95 GB usable an not 12 GB?

Thanks a lot

Andrea

And8717, Nov 6, 2015
  4. NickJP Win User

64Gb RAM on Gigabyte Z170 MB, GTX 980 Ti, Only 61.6 Usable RAM

I just checked on my desktop and laptop - both running Win10 x64. The desktop is an Asus P9X79 mobo with 32Gb RAM, no onboard video, and Task Manager shows hardware reserved memory as 58Mb. On the ASUS UX32VD laptop (10Gb RAM), which has both Intel and nVidia graphics adapters, both enabled and with drivers loaded, hardware reserved memory is 114Mb.

NickJP, Nov 6, 2015
  5. What you are seeing is normal. The CPU has a MAX memory address space of 64GBs. However the same address space is used for addressing hardware thus you cannot fully utilize it for memory. When you fill up the address space, the hardware reserve is eating into your memory, otherwise it would just eat into address space.

logicearth, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

64Gb RAM on Gigabyte Z170 MB, GTX 980 Ti, Only 61.6 Usable RAM

1. 64Gb RAM on Gigabyte Z170 MB, GTX 980 Ti, Only 61.6 Usable RAM - Similar Threads - 64Gb RAM Gigabyte

2. Usable Ram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usable Ram: I have Windows 11 download with a 64-bit operating system and a x64-based processor but when I check my ram it says I have 8GB of ram but 7.98 usable! Does any know how to get my 7.98 GB of ram back?...
  3. Usable Ram

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usable Ram: I have Windows 11 download with a 64-bit operating system and a x64-based processor but when I check my ram it says I have 8GB of ram but 7.98 usable! Does any know how to get my 7.98 GB of ram back?...
  4. Usable Ram

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Usable Ram: I have 4GB installed on my pc and it says 3.5GB usable only, why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usable-ram/7ed6d799-244f-4e07-a295-e364185167d4
  5. ONLY 2.99 gb ram usable of 8gb ram

ONLY 2.99 gb ram usable of 8gb ram: I am using hp pavilion gaming laptop with 64 bit processor and have 8 gb of installed ram but still showing only 2.99 usable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/only-299-gb-ram-usable-of-8gb-ram/53b7f13c-ff30-439b-90bb-a27a094df8d1
  6. 8gb of ram only 3.9 usable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    8gb of ram only 3.9 usable: So I have a 8gb of ram but windows was only using 3.9 it says that the rest is dedicated to system resources or something like that. I've been trying to fix it but have not been successful. So now I'm asking for help here. specs: CPU: ryzen 5 2600 GPU: gtx 1660 RAM: Viper...
  7. Usable RAM.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usable RAM.: Hello, I have 4 GB of RAM installed in my computer. But it shows that only 3.7 is usable. Please help me ASAP. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usable-ram/58afd9d1-86a8-4fe7-bcbd-5431b825ab37
  8. Usable RAM

Usable RAM: Hi on my windows 10 x64 x64 system I have 4gigs of memory installed and only 3.2 (3.19) gigs is usable, ive tried booting into the bios and it doesnt give me a option to change my memory, ive also tried msconfig unchecking and checking putting 4092 mb of memory on start up...
  9. Ram usable

Ram usable: When i play fortnite in taskmanager it always show 60 percent r less usage of ram (memory) i i cant use ram more than that .bec beca of thia sometimes games lose frames...
  10. RAM ISSUE. Only 2GB usable of 6.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    RAM ISSUE. Only 2GB usable of 6.: I've been having a problem with my laptop where it reads the 6gb of RAM installed but says that only 1.92 are usable. Can anybody help me solve this? I have Windows 10 64 bit. Please help, even the simplest tasks are slow with it 85212