Windows 10: 6tb external hard drive reads 1.5tb unallocated in Windows 10?

Discus and support 6tb external hard drive reads 1.5tb unallocated in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Using a new 6tb external hard drive plugged into a USB port for backup. Need to format but it only reads 1.5tb of unallocated space in Windows 10? Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GARoss, Aug 29, 2017.

1. GARoss Win User

6tb external hard drive reads 1.5tb unallocated in Windows 10?

Using a new 6tb external hard drive plugged into a USB port for backup. Need to format but it only reads 1.5tb of unallocated space in Windows 10? Is this an Intel RST driver issue? If so, how can I tell if the RST driver need updating?

Windows 10 64-bit ver 1703 OS Build 15063.540
    AMD 1700 8-core
    Asus Prime X370-Pro MB

:)

GARoss, Aug 29, 2017
  2. Bill_360 Win User

Windows 10 does not detect multiple identical External Hard Drives May-15-2016

I have a new Dell XPS8900 desktop running Windows 10, and a one year old Western Digital 6TB external hard drive. I bought a second identical Western Digital 6TB external hard drive. Windows will only recognize these one at a time but not both together.
    I changed the the drivers' names to unique ones. I've seen resolutions for this problem under Windows 7 and tried to follow it bought wouldn't work. Anyone have a fix for this?

Bill_360, Aug 29, 2017
  3. Accidental deletion of UEFI partition

There is a misunderstanding here. There is only one hard drive. Because it is damaged, the only way to read it was to take it out of my Gateway computer, put it into an external enclosure, and connect it to a different computer via a USB port. Disk
    1 (on the AOMI image) is irrelevant -- it refers to the surrogate computer that is allowing me to read the damaged hard drive (labeled Disk 2 on the AOMI image). Both the AOMI image and the Diskpart image refer to the same hard drive -- the one with the deleted
    UEFI partition. The size of the hard d rive is 1TB, not 1.5TB

StuarthJones, Aug 29, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Try using diskpart. With the drive connected, open a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) and run:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <- replace the # with the actual number assigned to the 6TB external hard drive
    clean <- this will completely erase the drive selected above, make sure it is the new external drive!
    convert gpt
    exit
    exit

You should then see 6tb unallocated space in Windows that you can partition and format however you like.

NavyLCDR, Aug 29, 2017
  5. GARoss Win User
    Thanks. It appears the issue was because I had the new, unformatted drive setup as an external USB drive. I have since connected the drive in my case via SATA & now able to format to NTFS all 6Tb. I'll move it back to USB but I'm guessing it will be okay now that it's formatted.

GARoss, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 6tb external hard drive reads 1.5tb unallocated in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - 6tb external hard

2. No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.: I am trying to create partition on a new external hard drive but it won't let me since there's nothing to right click. The hard drive is 1.9tb but when I look the details in disk management, none of that storage space shows up. It also doesn't show up in My PC. Is there...
  3. No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.: I am trying to create partition on a new external hard drive but it won't let me since there's nothing to right click. The hard drive is 1.9tb but when I look the details in disk management, none of that storage space shows up. It also doesn't show up in My PC. Is there...
  4. Can’t read external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t read external hard drive: Hey guys so i have an external hardrive that i use for my mac and has about 700gb of data. I need to transfer a 30gb file from my mac to windows with the external, but when i insert the drive into my pc, it gives the sound that a usb has been inserted but i can’t see the...
  5. Windows 10 not recognizing Seagate 5TB external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 not recognizing Seagate 5TB external drive: I bought a new 5TB Seagate external portable backup drive. Windows 10 would not recognize it. Windows 10 Device Manager could see and name the device, but when doing 'create and format' the disk, the screen went blank. It even froze the PC. Many other problems materialized...
  6. Reading External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reading External Hard Drive: How do I open the files on my external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reading-external-hard-drive/54ea6c70-619c-40b0-bd81-d9778007ec97
  7. External 6Tb Hard drive is now 1.5Tb!

External 6Tb Hard drive is now 1.5Tb!: My 6Tb external backup hard drive was having problems. I decided to reformat it. When I tried it failed & Windows identified it as a RAW drive, not NTFS. I tried Seagate Tools but that said the drive was okay. I deleted the volume & created a Simple Volume, then formatted to...
  8. "Unallocated" hard drive

"Unallocated" hard drive: Hi I've got a hard drive that just completely stopped working. Removed it, and connected it to my laptop. It kept on asking if i wanted to format the drive., after tying everything i could, i gave up and formatted the hard drive. Everything went okay, and without any...
  9. Hard drive unallocated

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive unallocated: When i finished building my pc i installed windows 10 on my ssd and also i had installed a 2T hard drive. The computer in disk managment reads the hard drive as drive 0 and all of it is unallocated space. I have tried to assign it a letter in disk mangement but it wont let me...
  10. Unable to read external Hard Drive

Unable to read external Hard Drive: I have Windows 10. I am trying to retrieve data from a Western Digital hard drive which has worked on this system in the past. I now find that the system is unable to recognise the drive and I get a message "incorrect parameter" Some help would be apreciated. Regards...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 to read disk 6TB drive

2. 6TB drive shows up as 1.5TB in windows 10

3. format 6tb external hard drive windows 10

4. windows 10 allocate 6tb drive