Windows 10: 8.1 32-Bit to 10 64-Bit How to...

Discus and support 8.1 32-Bit to 10 64-Bit How to... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there! I'm planning to add more RAM to my machine. In order to make that work, I would have to switch from 32 Bit WIN 8.1 to the 64 Bit Version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hybrid Vigor, Mar 1, 2016.

1. 8.1 32-Bit to 10 64-Bit How to...

Hi there!

I'm planning to add more RAM to my machine. In order to make that work, I would have to switch from 32 Bit WIN 8.1 to the 64 Bit Version of the OS. Since Windows 10 is still free, I would give the thing a try. But as far as now I've read many things causing my brain to buzz out loud. My questions are:
    Should I add the RAM-hardware before I install Windows 10? Can I still change hardware after Win 10 was installed?
    Can I download a 64 Bit ISO image and use my 32 Bit 8.1 activation key? If so, when should I activate, during install or afterwards? Will a local account work, as in 8.1?
    Is it possible to apply a backup image of my 8.1 system if I don't like Windows 10? Do I have to make special steps to "inactivate" the product key for downgrading? Is there anything else regarding activation or downgrade I should think of and consider? I don't want to end up with none of both OS working and with an messed up product key. Thanks for reading and commenting!!!

:)

Hybrid Vigor, Mar 1, 2016

2. deactivating windows 10 with a upgrade from windows 8.1

i bought windows 8.1 that came with 32 bit and 64 bit versions. i upgraded it to windows 10. my current computer has windows 10 32 bit but i want windows 8.1 or 10 64 bit. is there a way of deactivating windows 10 32 bit and putting a 64 bit version on
    another computer

ClaytonAmey, Mar 1, 2016
  3. Tried twice to update from Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, only I get Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit

Original Title: 64 Bit Upgrade and NOT 32 Bit!

I tried twice to update from Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, only I get Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit! Can't the upgrade process know that my version of Windows 8.1 Pro is 64 Bit and upgrade it to that? I can't use 32 Bit Windows 10 Pro!

Joseph Corredor, Mar 1, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

8.1 32-Bit to 10 64-Bit How to...

You will only be able to convert from 32bit to 64bit via a clean install. I think your process will be as follows:

1. Back up and make system images of your current Windows (in case anything goes wrong!)
    2. Upgrade from W8.1 to W10 - this will give you your free upgrade and can only be to the 32bit version as you are starting with 32bit. Activation will be automatic and give you a digital entitlement on your PC.
    3. Make new backups of your files, setup system restore and make a system image (again in case anything should go wrong!)
    4. Perform clean install of 64bit W10 which you can download from the Microsoft Tech Bench. Skip any activation steps during the install and, once you have completed the installation, W10 will activate automatically from the digital entitlement.

philc43, Mar 1, 2016
  5. Thanx so far.
    Can I cange hardware after the PC received the digital entitlement?
    Is it possible to create a local account?
    Can I use a system Image made by an external program like Backupper or Macrium to downgrade? What will happen with the product key?

Hybrid Vigor, Mar 1, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    Install RAM first, it will not be usable while still in 32bit but will be readily available and used properly when you switch to W10 x64.

CountMike, Mar 1, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Sorry - this method is out of date,

You do not need to upgrade 8.1 first.

Simply clean install 10 and activate using Windows 8.1 key.

You must be using version 10586.

cereberus, Mar 1, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes - except the motherboard itself. Adding RAM, new hard drive, new SSD, etc. won't affect Windows activation. New motherboard will.

Yes. When creating an account, click the skip button when it asks you for your Microsoft accoun login, then click the skip button again when it asks you to create a new Microsoft account login.

You can use the system image to revert back to the old OS. When you restore the old system image, everything will go back to exactly the way it was when the system image was made. Nothing happens with the product key.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 8.1 32-Bit to 10 64-Bit How to... - Similar Threads - Bit Bit

2. how can i bypass bit locker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i bypass bit locker: i have a lenovo ideapad 3 and as soon as i turn it on it asks for bitlocker code which i do not have and it wont let me do anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-bypass-bit-locker/7745068d-6526-41a2-a3c2-de47920529a5
  3. how can i bypass bit locker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i bypass bit locker: i have a lenovo ideapad 3 and as soon as i turn it on it asks for bitlocker code which i do not have and it wont let me do anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-bypass-bit-locker/7745068d-6526-41a2-a3c2-de47920529a5
  4. why is my mouse cursor freezing a bit when hovering it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is my mouse cursor freezing a bit when hovering it: I have tried uninstalling mouse driver and tried to update it, changed mouse HZ, also tried to perform cmd commands like sfc /scannow, but it still doesn't work....
  5. why is my mouse cursor freezing a bit when hovering it

why is my mouse cursor freezing a bit when hovering it: I have tried uninstalling mouse driver and tried to update it, changed mouse HZ, also tried to perform cmd commands like sfc /scannow, but it still doesn't work....
  6. My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...: My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code 0x000000f also saying the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. Can anyone help?...
  7. My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...

My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...: My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code 0x000000f also saying the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. Can anyone help?...
  8. My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. i got my pc reset and now the font in browsers, file explorer looks a bit different

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i got my pc reset and now the font in browsers, file explorer looks a bit different: i got my pc reset by a repair shop for ram and other stuff and now microsoft edge, file explorer fonts look a bit different. here are some examples:-...
  10. i got my pc reset and now the font in browsers, file explorer looks a bit different

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i got my pc reset and now the font in browsers, file explorer looks a bit different: i got my pc reset by a repair shop for ram and other stuff and now microsoft edge, file explorer fonts look a bit different. here are some examples:-...