Windows 10: 8.1 Pro-x64 to 10 Pro-x64 locked out after upgrade cannot downgrade

Discus and support 8.1 Pro-x64 to 10 Pro-x64 locked out after upgrade cannot downgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was running 8.1 Pro on a cheap Acer box (i3 + 8gb ddr3 + 512gb SSD) as Administrator. I had forgotten that once upon a time I had the machine hooked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by 10userNYC, Sep 23, 2015.

1. 10userNYC Win User

8.1 Pro-x64 to 10 Pro-x64 locked out after upgrade cannot downgrade

I was running 8.1 Pro on a cheap Acer box (i3 + 8gb ddr3 + 512gb SSD) as Administrator. I had forgotten that once upon a time I had the machine hooked up to a TV --which means that I had created a user "TV User" probably with the password in the "hint" or "forgot password" box on 8.1 because it was being used as a public/open to the family/friends machine.

So when I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 it locked/disabled the Administrator account (which I know the password for) and it enabled this "TV User" account which I DO NOT know the password for.

I tried all the usuals... booted to install/ISO and tried to repair... error could not repair. Tried to revert back to 8.1... error with partition, could not revert. Tried to "reset" or wipe the box... error with partition. Booted with the install ISO and tried to activate the administrator account via command line (net user administrator /active:yes) but as soon as the machine reboots the administrator account is back hidden.

I don't really care about the machine. I can reinstall very easily. What I am concerned about is the licensing for 10. I have a legit 8.1 license but I think that means I'll miss out on my "free upgrade" if I put 8.1 back on it... and I do not have a 10 license nor do I want to pay for one.

What are my choices? Are there any ways to either create a new user or activate the Administrator account so I can get back in? OR... nuke the machine and reinstall but still keep my 10 licensing? This is my **ONLY** bare-metal Windows box and I'm in a bit of a hurry because I want it asap to do some admin tasks (upgrade firmware on SSD's and RAID cards, etc.)

Thanks. I did search/Google for this for a few hours before I posted.

:)

10userNYC, Sep 23, 2015

2. Hyper-V causing boot loop in Windows 10 Pro x64

After upgrading to Windows 10 x64 Pro from Windows 8.1 x64 Pro and activating Hyper-V in Windows 10 x64 Pro my computer reboots. After a couple of tries it goes in automatic repair and attempts to repair the startup. This cycle just repeats itself.
    I tried many combinations of things in the bios, shutting down, reseting the defaults in bios and nothing has worked so far. I rolled back to Windows 8.1 Pro and Hyper-V works fine. I use Hyper-V with the emulators for phone and tablets in Visual Studio
    2013 and 2015. Re installed the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and activated Hyper-V and same reboot loop occurs. The only way I can boot into Windows 10 x64 Pro is disable Virtualization in bios. Anyone else having similar problems with hyper-V on Windows
    10 x64 Pro?

Thanks for your help?

DouglasHogue, Sep 23, 2015
  3. Win 10 boot manager GUI menu, no mouse pointer

I don't understand your answer. Can you explain further please.

If you are suggesting that I have a hardware problem let me point out that I have a 5 year old home built desktop with an ASUS motherboard, a Dell display, a Logitech keyboard and mouse. They all worked happily on Win 7 Pro, Win 8 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro, and then
    failed on Win 10 Pro. One failing partition has Win 10 x86 and the other x64. The non failing partition is Win 10 Pro x64. Those were all retail versions of Windows.

My other machine was a laptop which worked happily on OEM Win 8.1 x64, retail Win 8.1 Pro x64, and then failed on retail Win Pro x64.

My belief is that there is a Windows software problem which inhibits the mouse pointer when I do an upgrade install to Win 10.

Bob

Bob_Denton, Sep 23, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Why would you miss out on the free upgrade? Reinstall Windows 8.1 make sure it is activated. Make sure you have an administrator account created and that you can log into other than the built in "Administrator" account. Then upgrade to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool - no need to even run any updates for Windows 8.1 beforehand.

Media Creation Tool:
    Windows 10

NavyLCDR, Sep 23, 2015
  5. 10userNYC Win User
    Thanks. I wasn't sure about the 10 upgrade program. I thought that you needed to have 8 or 8.1 running and licensed a few months ago and get an invite and then upgrade within a set window... or something like that. I'm reinstalling 8.1 right now. Thanks again.

10userNYC, Sep 23, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Nope. You can do the Media Creation Tool upgrade at your convenience!

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 8.1 Pro-x64 to 10 Pro-x64 locked out after upgrade cannot downgrade - Similar Threads - Pro x64 Pro

2. Windows 10 Pro x64 update to 21H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro x64 update to 21H2: Hi All,I'm having software problems and the vendor wants me to update to 21H2. Windows Update does not offer me that update. So I went to the update catalog to do a manual installation, but it's not clear to me which file to download.Can anyone tell me exactly which file to...
  3. Windows Script Component [1, 1] Bilinmeyen hata Win 10 Pro x64

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Script Component [1, 1] Bilinmeyen hata Win 10 Pro x64: Her açılışta bu hatayı alıyorum,daha önce aynı sorun için auto run programı önerilmiş fakat çalışmıyor autorun exe. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-script-component-1-1-bilinmeyen-hata-win/1d95e34d-4867-407f-85a6-2a74048e62cc
  4. windows 10 pro x64 v2004 installation

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 pro x64 v2004 installation: I installed windows 10 pro v 2004 x64 as clean install from booting from USB win10 iso to install in second SSD drive (first drive has same win10 version installed which I want to remove) The installation completed successfully on rebooting I found the option of dual windows...
  5. Upgrading from x86 to x64, activated x86 win 10 pro key invalid for x64 win 10 pro.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from x86 to x64, activated x86 win 10 pro key invalid for x64 win 10 pro.: So, I've gone through hell to make bootable media to install x64 version of windows... I had previously downloaded a 64-bit version of windows 10 pro on an external drive As a backup version of windows incase of disaster. It helped once while it lasted with huge success and...
  6. Windows 10 x64 pro crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 x64 pro crashes: My Windows 10 x64 repeatedly crashes. The event viewer states Level: Critical, Source: Kernel-Power, Event ID 41 Category 63, the XML view details: - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> + <System> <Provider...
  7. Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro x64 from Windows 10 Home x64

Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro x64 from Windows 10 Home x64: I just purchased the upgrade to Win 10 Pro. I did not seem to get an activation/product key, but there is an "Install" button where the "Buy" button was, but what do I do when it asks for a product key? This is on a Dell Inspiron 17 5000 Series that I purchased new with...
  8. Compaq rollback 10 to 8.1 Pro (x64)

Compaq rollback 10 to 8.1 Pro (x64): I was (over the telephone) attempting to assist someone rolling their Compaq Presario CQ57 back from 10 Pro x64 to 8.1 Pro. The upgrade was done on 8/18, so well within the 30 day window. Using the standard roll back option from the recovery menu, we get an error that...
  9. Upgrade install from W8.1.1 Pro X64 to W10 TP X64

Upgrade install from W8.1.1 Pro X64 to W10 TP X64: I installed W10 TP as a VM under Oracle VB on two computers. 32 bit on one and 64 bit on the other. Both work very well and are reasonable quick as a VM. I decided I wanted to run it direct, so did a Macrium backup of my Acer laptop then did an upgrade using a mounted 64...
  10. W7-W10 Pro x64 Upgrade error

in Windows 10 Support
    W7-W10 Pro x64 Upgrade error: I updated my drivers and bios on my Dell E6230, then tried the update. I get the following error. [img] Can I get some direction on what to look for? Thanks. 35454