Windows 10: 8 minutes after login until a usable desktop

Discus and support 8 minutes after login until a usable desktop in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My daughter has a Dell Inspiron P20T, a simple little 11" ultrabook. After logging in, it takes around 8 minutes before she can actually use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by 3DPiper, Jun 19, 2017.

1. 3DPiper Win User

8 minutes after login until a usable desktop

My daughter has a Dell Inspiron P20T, a simple little 11" ultrabook.
    After logging in, it takes around 8 minutes before she can actually use the computer.
    I checked the task manager/performance and the CPU and disk were at 100%.
    I went deeper into the resources monitor, and found these programs were using the most of either CPU or disk for the 8 minutes:

perfmon.exe
    compattelrunner.exe
    UNPCampaignmanager
    MPSigStub
    backgroundtakshost.exe
    svhost.exe
    wsappx
    netsvcs
    msmpeng

Are these essential? Is there a way to speed up her post-login boot time?

:)

3DPiper, Jun 19, 2017
  2. VKL4352 Win User

Win 10 Fast cold Start and very slow Restart

My PC Hp pavilion notebook ( i5 processor, 8 GB memory ). Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 Build 16299.64.

• Details:
    • After shut down on Power ON it takes about 30 sec until system is fully usable including login process.
    • When using Reset from Windows Key ( no logout ) it takes about annoying 5 min 40 sec - 6 min until system is fully usable and accessible.
    • The stages of Reset are following: Window Restarting...... Hp logo.... Black Screen.... Window Please wait.... Total about 2 min 40 min.
    • The next Lock Screen without account names and login entry, After touch any key and login entry became visible Total 1 min 20 sec including login.
    • Desktop is visible with disabled taskbar. Later The rest of desktop appeared. Total time until taskbar, desktop icons, window key are fully usable about 2 min 40 sec. System is ready to use.
    I performed some tests on HDD like scan for errors, chckdisk. No Errors were found. HDD has 3% fragmentation.

I scanned for viruses and malware using McAfee and Malwarebytes. No treats were found.

I also tried uncheck option " Turn on Fast Startup " from Power Plan. No positive results except time from cold start

was increased.

Other than mentioned above problem PC is working.

ANY Ideas for fix??

VKL4352, Jun 19, 2017
  3. CindyCCc Win User
    Trackpad stops working 5 minutes after starting up computer (Windows 10)

I Have an asus q550 notebook laptop that originally came with windows 8. After installing windows 10 I started having issues with my trackpad.

The trackpad works perfectly fine on the login screen and when the computer initially starts up, but sometime during when all the files are still loading up (about a couple minutes after the basic desktop screen shows up) my trackpad will all of a sudden
    stop working and will not work again until I restart my computer.

Does anyone have a solution to this issue?

CindyCCc, Jun 19, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there, 3DPiper. Yes, those are system essentials.

Please press Windows key + X keys simultaneously and choose Task Manager > Choose Startup tab. Take a screenshot (Windows key/Print screen key) and post here or list the programs here. In Task Manager you may have to click "Show more" at the bottom left.

How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums Windows 10 Tutorials

Edit:

What antivirus are you running?

Tony K, Jun 19, 2017
  5. 3DPiper Win User
    I am only using Windows Defender as the antivirus.
    Here is a screenshot of her Startup:

8 minutes after login until a usable desktop [​IMG]

I think I will check for updates to make sure she has the latest version

3DPiper, Jun 19, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Thanks for those. Yes, check for updates by all means. Check to make sure that is on auto download and install as well.

Tony K, Jun 19, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jun 19, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

Please run these:

Disk cleanup (Please read red cautions carefully): Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Check Disk: Drive Error Checking in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

DISM: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

SFC: Run SFC Command in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Using full scan option: How to Scan with Windows Defender in Windows 10 Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

You may also consider these to limit resource consumption with these tutorials. Please use all relevant tutorials listed after you deem necessary.

Use Microsoft Privacy Dashboard to Manage Your Privacy in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Turn On or Off Background Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Although some are necessary, you have some “High impact” items starting up. You may consider either disabling startup items then use or create a shortcut or tile to start the program after boot or uninstall the program depending upon use and great consideration. Disabling startup items by right-click highlighting, then click disable in the lower right corner.

With any of these programs we can guide you to create a shortcut for the Start screen, Taskbar, or Desktop to start up afterwards. I highly recommend this for the Steam Client Bootstrapper, which is a gaming site.

To uninstall a program (after great consideration), uninstall by opening Settings (WinKey/I) > Apps > Find or search for the program in the list > Right click > Choose uninstall.

Dell System Detect: http://www.dell.com/support/article/...stions?lang=EN

Dell QuickSet Utility: http://www.dell.com/support/article/...ility-?lang=EN

Steam: Welcome to Steam

To help understand what’s running:
    perfmon.exe– Is the Windows Performance Monitor.
    compattelrunner.exe – Sighted below.
    UNPCampaignmanager - Universal Notification Platform or UNP usually applies to computers on a domain.
    MPSigStub - MS installer application used in conjunction with Windows Automatic Updates.
    backgroundtakshost.exe – Windows system process that runs silently in the background.
    svhost.exe – Windows system process that hosts multiple Windows services.
    Wsappx - Provides infrastructure support for the Microsoft Store.
    Netsvcs - Loads several other critical services for proper Windows operation.
    msmpeng - Antimalware detection engine of Windows Defender.

In the article listed below, compattelrunner.exe is a program that came via update KB2977759 in prior OSs and the .exe is listed in the MS article below. It is related to the Customer Experience Improvement Program in preparation for upgrading a machine. This is also installed on prior Windows OS, although may not be a remnant on yours. This may be assuming that your machine has been upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Also, the .exe program is a part of Windows 10 to prepare a machine for further updates or upgrades. I searched for and have it listed in my System32 folder, although I do not have the KB update.

Please try searching for this update in Settings > Update & Security > Update history. If it is there, we may consider other options. It may be essential for further updates or upgrades since 10 is an ongoing OS.

In the meantime if the problem persists, you may want to perform the solution in the post by Kristoffer Abs at CompatTelRunner.exe in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community. However, this needs to be turned on prior to the next Windows 10 upgrade.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2977759

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 8 minutes after login until a usable desktop - Similar Threads - minutes login until

2. Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes: Under “Power and sleep,” my desktop is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes. Under “additional power settings” it is set for “high performance.” However, the desktop does not go to sleep after 15 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't go to sleep for hours. I ran the power...
  3. Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes: Under “Power and sleep,” my desktop is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes. Under “additional power settings” it is set for “high performance.” However, the desktop does not go to sleep after 15 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't go to sleep for hours. I ran the power...
  4. Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Black screen for ~20 minutes after login

Black screen for ~20 minutes after login: I have a virtual environment where everyone logs into they physical desktop and then connects to a dedicated virtual desktop via VMware. I've already taken this to VMware support, and they say it's not their problem. With certain users on certain VM's, after they enter their...
  6. Black Screen for A Few Minutes After Login

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black Screen for A Few Minutes After Login: First of all, thanks in advanced for your help. I've been having this issue for quite a while and it's still happening. Every time after I log in (password screen), the screen only displays black screen for a few minutes before the background and everything shows up. During...
  7. Windows 10 boots normally but stucks on the desktop after 2-3 minutes of login

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 boots normally but stucks on the desktop after 2-3 minutes of login: Hi, My HP envy m6-k015dx sleekbook was running normally with Windows until last week it started to freeze on the desktop after a few seconds of login. I booted into safe mode and disabled all Start-up apps from the Task Manager and disabled the display adapters in device...
  8. 8 GB 3.97 USABLE

8 GB 3.97 USABLE: So i just woke up, and i tried to open my pc, as i ussualy do, and the coolers and leds worked fine, but the pc wasn't opening.So i took the ram, i cleaned it, and i put it back.And the pc worked fine, but i saw that i can use only 3.97 gb, please help!...
  9. Desktop Locks After 5 Minutes of Inactivity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Desktop Locks After 5 Minutes of Inactivity: So after the latest update my computer has been locking after 5 minutes of inactivity. I have looked through all the power options and sleep timers and no matter what I do I cannot seem to turn this feature off. This is happening to a friend of mine as well so I'm wondering...
  10. 4GB out of 8 GB usable - how to fix?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    4GB out of 8 GB usable - how to fix?: Why is Windows reserving half of my RAM? How can I release it? Is my GPU stealing it? It has 4GB on the card. [img] [img] Specs PSU: Cougar STX 650W 80 Plus Mobo: Asrock A75M-HVS P1.80 Processor: AMD Llano A6-3650 2.60GHz Socket FM1 Memory: Corsair Vengeance...