Windows 10: 8 port switch vs WAP

Discus and support 8 port switch vs WAP in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a network cable from my router to a socket in another room. Am I better off using an 8 port switch ( e.g. netgear ) or just convert a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by reddwarf4ever, Dec 28, 2015.

1. 8 port switch vs WAP

I have a network cable from my router to a socket in another room.

Am I better off using an 8 port switch ( e.g. netgear ) or just convert a wireless router to a WAP ( which I know how to do ) I will end up with 3 outlets using the WAP method, but thats enough....so wondered if there are any advantages to either, other than number of outlets ?

thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Dec 28, 2015

2. Microsoft Lumia 650 - settings

Your reply was somewhat helpful - thank you; except my phone does not have the name WAP Gateway and WAP Port fields in the MMS APN setting section. It has Proxy server and Proxy port. Is this the same thing WAP? According to Consumer Cellular, it isn't.

PatriciaSmith_650, Dec 28, 2015
  3. Verizon Nokia Lumia 928 can't receive MMS but can send. APN settings? Phone number "Unknown" and "message not found."

same problem here.

mms apn

username: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

password:

wap gateway: wireless.cingular.com

wap port: 80

mmsc: Web Server's Default Page

mmsc port: 80

max size:

jakoh---01, Dec 28, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

8 port switch vs WAP

All other things being equal, most folks would agree the Ethernet connections are more reliable than Wi-Fi. It all boils down to whether you will be using Notebooks and want their portability. I have a Router plus an 8-port Switch, system works fine for both Wired and Wireless connections and have 2 printers attached by Ethernet cable plus NAS drives, any computer can reach them whether Windows [Wired and Wireless], Mac OS X [Wireless] or Linux [Wired and Wireless].

Berton, Dec 28, 2015
  5. Hi
    maybe I didnt explain myself properly....not worried about wifi.....just wanted to know if there was any advantage plugging a remote pc into a wired 8 port switch socket vs a socket in a a router converted to a WAP......
    the whole point is to just get a wired internet connection in a remote room.

as i have a wired network connection to this room from my router, wondered which would be best ?

thanks

reddwarf4ever, Dec 28, 2015
  6. pbcopter Win User
    It really doesn't matter since you will be using the Wireless router as a switch (the switch part of the router) in your application

pbcopter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

8 port switch vs WAP

1. 8 port switch vs WAP - Similar Threads - port switch WAP

2. Display vs HDMI Ports

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Display vs HDMI Ports: Which to use is the Question. I built a computer (never done that before) to use 4 monitors. My video card (not a gamer) is a Nvidia Quadro P-1000 which has 4 display mini outputs with connectors for large display connection outputs. I bought - Display to HDMI cables for use...
  3. Switching Machines vs Autohotkey.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switching Machines vs Autohotkey.: Unable to find comment on this;3 PC setup, 7 monitors. I use MWB beautifully, with one odd exception that is driving me up the wall. I have all 3 copies of MWB set to honor Ctrl+Alt+number *1, 2, 3 to switch machines, i.e. move the active cursor to a different box. Doing...
  4. Switching users vs logging out?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching users vs logging out?: Hello, i just added my brother to my desktop as a user and wanted to make sure that his background programs aren't running when i am on my account and vice versa. Is making sure that he logs out before i log in/not using the switch accounts option good enough to stop this...
  5. WAP IP Address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WAP IP Address: How does one find the WAP's IP Address (without Fing, Wire Shark, etc.) Example: When I am on my home network, if I type in "ipconfig /all" in to CMD, and type the IP address of the default gateway in to my web browser, I can login to my ISP's router/ WAP. However, in the...
  6. Advice on WAP

Advice on WAP: Hoe this is the correct forum have created WAPs from old routers in the past and worked well. Need to set one up for a family member, but require the WAP to have a strong a signal ( as the router ) as possible. does it make a lot of difference if I use an old BT or other...
  7. Windows Defender 8(8/8.1) vs Windows Defender 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender 8(8/8.1) vs Windows Defender 10: Can you please let me know the various endpoint security features offered via windows defender 8 and windows defender 10. I also heard MS is offering ATP support on Windows 8 , so if that is the case, I can buy some time to migrate to windows 10 and still purchase ATP ?...
  8. WAP viewing settings

WAP viewing settings: I created WAP from an old belkin router and it works fine. i want to change the SSID of this ‘ WAP’ can’t remember how to do this...I changed the I.P address to 192.168.1.100 as per the conversion procedure.....this was setup for a friend, is it possible that I can’t access...
  9. Netgear DG834G as a WAP

Netgear DG834G as a WAP: setting the country and security level etc seems a bit flaky in this router, keeps losing settings, even after apply...sometimes the password option window doesnt appear.....I eventually got the settings to stick, logged out ( maybe this is the magic bit ) then logged in...
  10. Windows 7 vs Windows 8 vs Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 7 vs Windows 8 vs Windows 10: I'm a Mac person... What is the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8 and Windows 10? I've learned that newer is not always better. Also, I believe Windows 7 or Windows 8 was considered a bomb, right? The content of this question is I am trying to figure out...