Windows 10: 9.2 GB Folder with unknown purpose in %programdata%

Discus and support 9.2 GB Folder with unknown purpose in %programdata% in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; C:\Program Data folder is mostly used by third party softwares to store info's such as: settings/preferences/Linsense Info/software updates/log files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AJM94, Apr 30, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

9.2 GB Folder with unknown purpose in %programdata%

Hi there
    boot up any live Linux distro which has a GUI - then with the Live distros file browser just delete the files if Windows / File explore can't handle long file names. Linux doesn't have that file and path name length restriction.

You can create a bootable USB Linux Live distro by downloading the ISO and then using RUFUS to create a bootable USB from the ISO image. (Usually better than messing around with physical DVD's these days).

Linux Mint is good but here's a really easy one Live CENTOS with KDE. Easy Windows like GUI --the file manager (explorer) name is called DOLPHIN.

Right mouse click on the file / folder and choose DELETE

Index of /rolling/7/isos/x86_64

Scroll down the list and choose CentOS-7-X86_64-LiveKDE.iso.
    It's 1.6G download and last update was last week (Apr 29 2017).

If there's any problem with handling NTFS files simply install ntfs-3g. Should be in there by default. Note it's a LIVE distro so changes to the OS aren't retained over re-boots.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 1, 2017
  2. topgundcp Win User

True. Any linux would do, personally I would prefer Slacko Puppy linux because the file size is only around 200MB:
    Download latest Puppy Linux release

topgundcp, May 1, 2017
  3. AJM94 Win User
    Thanks all, I might try the Linux way. The comments about the file/folder name length makes sense (and I'm aware of its restrictions in Windows), allthough I still find it weird that I'm able to browse to them through explorer and even through CMD. So this shouldn't be it.

AJM94, May 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

If you get Kyhi's disk (my post #2) you get a lot of programs on it, and Macrium includes Fixboot - a good way of repairing boot problems.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 9.2 GB Folder with unknown purpose in %programdata% - Similar Threads - Folder unknown purpose

2. Unable to hide the ProgramData folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to hide the ProgramData folder: I had to unhide the ProgramData folder while attempting to solve an issue, but it turned out to be something else entirely, so now I'm trying to rehide it. However, after going into the properties menu, clicking on the 'hidden' box and pressing apply, nothing changes. It acts...
  3. Unknown file won't delete in C:\ProgramData

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown file won't delete in C:\ProgramData: I found a hidden file named 11aa-27B9C597AD296D2F.log in C:\ProgramData and can't delete it. It appears to be some kind of office document. There is also related hidden documents in the C:\ named 1a-27B9C597AD296D2F.log, invoice-27B9C597AD296D2F.txt, and...
  4. Unknown file won't delete in C:\ProgramData

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown file won't delete in C:\ProgramData: I found a hidden file named 11aa-27B9C597AD296D2F.log in C:\ProgramData and can't delete it. It appears to be some kind of office document. There is also related hidden documents in the C:\ named 1a-27B9C597AD296D2F.log, invoice-27B9C597AD296D2F.txt, and...
  5. Unknown file won't delete in C:\ProgramData

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. "Sound Research" Folder in AppData Local, unknown purpose.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Sound Research" Folder in AppData Local, unknown purpose.: In my local appdata folder C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\ I found a folder called "SoundResearch"Within it is a folder called "NativeMessaging." Inside that folder, there is a .json file called "com.soundresearch.contentclassifier" with the following text:{ "name":...
  7. "Sound Research" Folder in AppData Local, unknown purpose.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Sound Research" Folder in AppData Local, unknown purpose.: In my local appdata folder C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\ I found a folder called "SoundResearch"Within it is a folder called "NativeMessaging." Inside that folder, there is a .json file called "com.soundresearch.contentclassifier" with the following text:{ "name":...
  8. Folders in ProgramData: Are this folders safe?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folders in ProgramData: Are this folders safe?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Kriger369 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jd45d3/folders_in_programdata_are_this_folders_safe/
  9. What is the purpose of these unknown partitions?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is the purpose of these unknown partitions?: [img] Can someone please look at the below capture and tell me what the purpose of partitions 1, 2 ,4 & 5 are? Should I keep them, and if so how can they potentially help me in the future? Thanks for your help! 95218
  10. ProgramData Folder Not Hidden

in Windows 10 Support
    ProgramData Folder Not Hidden: So I have 2 Windows 10 build 1709 machines. One I just noticed that the ProgramData folder is not hidden. I tried to hide it, but it just will not. I checked the settings and properties against my good machine and it all lines up except for not being hidden. Is there a...