Windows 10: 9926 Recovery

Discus and support 9926 Recovery in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I posted this in another thread, but thought folks should be aware of a change to Recovery options in the 9926 build I just ran Disk Cleanup and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Slartybart, Jan 26, 2015.

1. 9926 Recovery

I posted this in another thread, but thought folks should be aware of a change to Recovery options in the 9926 build

I just ran Disk Cleanup and it removed 5.89 GB of data. This data is your roll back data. I don't know how many members would roll back instead of a fresh install, but some might test it.

If you clean up the previous Windows data, you lose the capability to perform a roll back.

Insider Hub: Known issues
    It is intentional for the 9926 release - they must be working on WinRE and it wasn't ready in time.

9926 Recovery [​IMG]

:)

Slartybart, Jan 26, 2015

2. microsoft solitaire collection high cpu

Does this answer your question as to whether or not this is unique to the solitaire collection?

9926 Recovery [​IMG]

AlreadyFrustratedWith8, Jan 26, 2015
  3. recovery key alpha characters

field asking for recovery key doesn't recognize alpha

characters

Mary AnnAnderson1, Jan 26, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

9926 Recovery

I am one of those who don't Rollback. In fact, I also don't upgrade online. I always do clean install. But since I have the advantage of internet speed, before I do clean install I also try online upgrade first just to have an idea of how it goes for every build. Then play with it a little and then wipe it out for a clean install.
    Currently, my backup approach is cloning. Instead of image recovery, I keep a clean installation on a separate drive for "rolling back" (re-clone).

badrobot, Jan 26, 2015
  5. wptski Win User
    After a blue screen/chkdsk lap or two it changes to Recovery instead of Rollback.

wptski, Jan 26, 2015
  6. Blue screen? BSOD??
    chkdsk lap or two?

Care to elaborate?

I guess I should have waited and tested a bit more before changing the timeout and cleaning up.
    I wonder what will happen if I set the timeout to 10 and try the boot option?

Hmmm, maybe later. *Wink

Slartybart, Jan 26, 2015
  7. wptski Win User
    Blue screen? BSOD??
    chkdsk lap or two?

Care to elaborate?

I guess I should have waited and tested a bit more before changing the timeout and cleaning up.

Hmmm, maybe later. *Wink I get that at every reboot/shutdown and I have W7/W10 on separate physical HDs. I had the same issue on a earlier build caused by a Logitec driver. I did add one thing to this build that didn't work on 9879 but works on this build so if it'll boot up again, I'll remove that app.

I'm wondering what to boot into now, W10 or W10 Recovery? I "think" that I've tried both now.

wptski, Jan 26, 2015
  8. 9926 Recovery

Well, I found out tonight how good the Recovery is on Win-10.

Things were just going along smoothly when I did a reboot and after the reboot, I had no mouse or keyboard.
    So I just shut off the PC at the power strip on my desk.

On restarting, the OS went into an Auto Recovery procedure. It only took a couple of minutes, and when it rebooted, all was OK again.
    But just in case it doesn't recover, the next time there is a problem, I broke out my trusty Ghost 11.5 CD, booted up the PC with it and did a Ghost backup of W-10 to a secondary partition on the same drive.
    Then just for safety, I let Ghost do a "Check" of the backup Image file.
    Now I can add Windows 10 to the number of OS's that I've used Ghost to back up.

When you're trying out something new, it's always good to have a Backup Image File, in the can, so to speak.

My first install of W-10 was more or less a disaster. But my second install has gone pretty well, except for that one glitch.

Cheers Mates!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Jan 26, 2015
  9. badrobot Win User
    Totally agree with you there TM regarding image backups. I always make backup images of all my OSes. Except for this Win 10 tech preview. I find it too buggy sometimes that even recovering image is a game of chance. It will fix one thing but breaks another. Clean install is always the best solution for me. That's why I just rely on a clean install copy on a separate drive. Maybe I will go back to using images later when 10 is fully polished.

badrobot, Jan 26, 2015
  10. Blue screen? BSOD??
    chkdsk lap or two?

Care to elaborate?

Hmmm, maybe later. *Wink I get that at every reboot/shutdown and I have W7/W10 on separate physical HDs. I had the same issue on a earlier build caused by a Logitec driver. I did add one thing to this build that didn't work on 9879 but works on this build so if it'll boot up again, I'll remove that app.

I'm wondering what to boot into now, W10 or W10 Recovery? I "think" that I've tried both now. You get what every reboot/shutdown? The boot option screen?

You're supposed to get that screen in build 9926. Did you not read the Insider Hub: Known Issues information in post# 1?
    Known issues doesn't always mean a bug, it can also be just an heads up - like this one.

Why choose, the boot option is only 30 seconds and then Windows boots normally.
    If you don't need to Roll Back or uninstall, then the top option (the default) is the one you should select if you get tired of waiting 30 seconds.

Slartybart, Jan 26, 2015
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    My backup strategy is simple - I just keep copies of my VMware Player folders. Running and testing is sooo much easier in VMware. No elaborate setups needed.

12. wptski Win User
    Blue screen? BSOD??
    chkdsk lap or two?

Care to elaborate?

I'm wondering what to boot into now, W10 or W10 Recovery? I "think" that I've tried both now. You get what every reboot/shutdown? The boot option screen?

You're supposed to get that screen in build 9926. Did you not read the Insider Hub: Known Issues information in post# 1?
    Known issues doesn't always mean a bug, it can also be just an heads up - like this one.

Why choose, the boot option is only 30 seconds and then Windows boots normally.
    If you don't need to Roll Back or uninstall, then the top option (the default) is the one you should select if you get tired of waiting 30 seconds. I mean a blue screen(BSOD) and it wants to reboot where is does a CHKDSK. After the first crash I "assume" the Rollback became Recovery with the proper drive letter or E: in my case and its name being Windows Pro Technical Preview. The old version is listed as Windows Technical Preview with drive letter C: like this (C*Smile. Sit appears that I have a good chunk of my HD with a trashed OS for the time being anyway. I have a VHD backup from a third party app of 9879 waiting in the wings.

I just remove an app that I added for the first time on the build and I deleted the %temp% folder where most if not all the messed files are located. It wouldn't let me delete one file(wtct5c25.tmp). I remember on 9879 I could delete all files from %temp%.

wptski, Jan 26, 2015
  13. 9926 Recovery

It sounds to me as though your system has issues that are being manifest by you doing a Win10 install.

BSOD - post a thread in the BSOD section, there might be a hardware issue
    BSOD Crashes and Debugging - Windows 10 Forums
    When you post there, please follow the instructions in this tutorial:
    BSOD - Posting Instructions

CHKDSK - sounds as though your drive might have severe corruption or be failing
    post a thread in Drivers and Hardware - Windows 10 Forums

There are two issues that need correcting before you attempt another Win10 install
    I'd like to keep the focus of this thread on the original topic - a new boot screen might be seen.

Thanks,

Bill

Slartybart, Jan 26, 2015
  14. caperjack Win User
    Backups why,i do believe we will have to start over after the prievew is done anyway ,so i dont backup anything as i am only using win10 for fun, not work of anykind ,so when a disaster strikes i will just reinstall win10.
    and when the free win10 becomes avaible i will do it on a fresh install of win8.1 *Drink1

caperjack, Jan 26, 2015
  15. Spready Win User
    I did a system restore for various reasons while on the new build.. Once it was completed I can no longer use the start button or notification button.. They are still present but nothing happens when I press them... Do I reinstall the new build?

Spready, Jan 26, 2015
Thema:

9926 Recovery

1. 9926 Recovery - Similar Threads - 9926 Recovery

2. Windows 10 Build 9926 Custom Theme Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Build 9926 Custom Theme Problem: Hello everyone. I tried to install custom themes on my laptop running W10 TP 9926. Firstly i tried to install this theme THEMECLICK I did install uxstyle defined there. And used Ribbon Disabler. Than everything worked fine but after restarting explorer.exe or the laptop...
  3. USB port malfunction on fresh install 9926/10041

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB port malfunction on fresh install 9926/10041: hi all, after fresh install windows 10 9926 or 10041, my usb port can't work properly. to be exact, when i try to install my wifi adapter (tp-link), even the installation take too long, and end up fail. then using other tp-link model adapter, the driver successfully install...
  4. updating from 9926 to 10041 on SLOW, error 0x80070050

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    updating from 9926 to 10041 on SLOW, error 0x80070050: Hello, When i try to update from 9926 to 10041, i get the error 0x80070050. It downloads the update, gets stuck on "preparing to install" step and then shows me the error 0x80070050. I searched online, could not find a solution, many of the solutions (with different...
  5. If I install Build 9926

If I install Build 9926: If I install build 9926 will it update straight to 10049? If I choose the fast track? 5142
  6. Windows 10 Build 10240 not coming through on Build 9926?

Windows 10 Build 10240 not coming through on Build 9926?: I am currently running Windows 10 Build 9926 due to having issues installing Build 10162 using a USB. I had Build 9926 installed before and successfully updated to 10162 however a failed graphics driver install forced me to reinstall and since Microsoft pulled build updates a...
  7. Unable to upgrade from build 9926 to anything

Unable to upgrade from build 9926 to anything: So I have had build 9926 for sometime and felt now would be a good time to upgrade...(been away traveling). First I attempted standard windows update but this simply tells me everything is up to date. I found an article to clear the update cache /reboot / and try again. This...
  8. Stuck on Build 9926, can't upgrade

Stuck on Build 9926, can't upgrade: Been using Windows 10 Tech Preview on and off since it first came out last year. Have been busy lately so haven't been able to keep up to date with updates. Want to upgrade to Build 10240 but Windows Updates isn't detecting there is a new build available. Have Microsoft...
  9. Anyone here stuck at 9926 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyone here stuck at 9926 ?: Like my eM350? What did you do to upgrade to the newer builds? 6172
  10. Windows 10 build 9926 setup wont recognize dvd/usb drivers

Windows 10 build 9926 setup wont recognize dvd/usb drivers: Alright, so I have a separate partition and I'm using a program called EasyBSD to mount the boot.wim so that I can boot to the ISO to install Windows onto the separate partition. When I load Setup, it askes for DVD/USB drivers. What should I do from this point? 5081