Windows 10: 9926 Release Journal

Discus and support 9926 Release Journal in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm testing Win10 9926 a number of ways. It's a new day for Windows with the January TP release and I have to learn a lot about it. I have a number of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Slartybart, Jan 25, 2015.

1. 9926 Release Journal

I'm testing Win10 9926 a number of ways. It's a new day for Windows with the January TP release and I have to learn a lot about it. I have a number of posts here and there, but it's difficult to test, post, and track the information I find during testing or by reading and answering posts made by other members.

Since I'll be installing and reinstalling I need a 'cloud' based journal so I don't accidently lose my notes in the process.

This is just the place for that. I'll use this thread mostly to track things I'm working on and might not reply to posts made in this thread, please don't be offended if you post something here and I don't get around to replying.

02/06/15: Changing tactics - all installs went well, but it's too much to track. Issues found on one should be found on all. Using virtualization adds a layer, so I'm dropping that from testing. The single boot would be the preferred test bed, but the USB network adapter won't install on that machine (too old, no drivers, a hacked install using the HWID in a different installer (same chip) is flagged by Win10 - hash mismatch), so that is being dropped too.

I submitted feedback to MS suggesting that they supply a test suite and an app to track what users have tested and the results. This serves everyone well - MS can 'direct' testing it wants to see, users get instructions on what and how to consistently test across releases.

There's an inherent bonus of training in giving us a test suite. Every feature would be in the suite with instructions and telemetry (just like the We need your help in the Insider hub). Feedback would be prefilled by the test run, only extra comments would be required by the user. These are computers! Let them do the heavy lifting (figuring out how to categorize feedback, what version is being tested, what the results are /telemetry, if the user added any additional feedback and storing the results for future regression testing.) It benefits everyone.

I am installing the January release three ways
    1. Insider Pro: Virtual machine | Preview build update - Hyper-V guest machine a Win8.1 host
      This will go on the VM I have been using to test the previous builds.
    2. Insider Pro: Physical machine | ISO - single boot
      This will go on a Dell prepped for sale, but I'll use it for a test machine until a buyer surfaces.
      Desktop: L: Dell™ Inspiron™ 580s: Comprehensive Specifications (PDF)
      (Late 2009 model, i5 processor, 4 GB RAM)

This is the only testbed I will be using:
      Insider Pro: Physical machine | ISO - boot from VHD on my Win8.1 machine

Category posts below (Installation, Configuration, RFC, General) will have sub-categories for each install. Hopefully I can keep it all straight.

:)

Slartybart, Jan 25, 2015
  2. estorrs Win User

Download printer Driver for Windows Journal 10.0.37

No this question has still not been answered.

I am looking for either an old version of Windows Journal (not windows viewer) so that I can install a version of Windows Journal that will allow printing. Currently the new version of Journal that was most recently released does not have the print
    drivers.

I still need help.

estorrs, Jan 25, 2015
  3. Wiss. Win User
    Windows 10 Enterprise - Where is the 'Manage Wireless Networks' option

I got release 9926 and this option is at the bottom of the WiFi list, where you can "forget" a network and re-enter the password.

The app uses the new metro interface which is beyond weird!

Wiss., Jan 25, 2015
  4. 9926 Release Journal

1.Insider Pro: Virtual machine | Preview build update - Hyper-V guest machine a Win8.1 host
    Page1 notes: 9926_ISO Hyper-V_p1.pdf
    Page2 notes: 9926_ISO Hyper-V_p2.pdf

2.Insider Pro: Physical machine | ISO - single boot

• Upgrade vs. Custom (Advanced)
      Is Custom or Advanced the right word for a regular install?
      The wording under custom might confuse some people.
      The files, ..... will not be copied to Windows.
      Will Windows run from the CD or flash drive? No, it means that everything will be overwritten, you will lose your data, your programs, and your settings.
      I don't have any suggestions to clarify that (Custom or explanation under it) yet.

• Options set at install time:
      update apps - off
      Settings: everything off except Defender

That's as far as I can go until I try booting into test mode and see if the Wifi install will complete. Hopefully I can get past that check and the device will work in normal mode. If I have to disable Driver Signature Enforcement every boot, then this Win10 install is done and I can put Win7 back on and try an upgrade.

I don't have another WiFi adapter that would work any better (another old one) and I time share Internet use so I cannot connect via Ethernet.

Besides, I ran out of room for notes on the envelope *Wink

3.Insider Pro: Physical machine | ISO - boot from VHD on my Win8.1 machine

Slartybart, Jan 25, 2015
  5. 1.Insider Pro: Virtual machine | Preview build update - Hyper-V guest machine a Win8.1 host

• Personalize: The vertical scroll bar on the Themes pane constantly moved up and down.
      Change background to solid color changes the slide show image set.
      - A second attempt using ...more colors made the intended change.

• Taskbar properties
      • Taskbar tab: small icons
        the search box changed to the magnifying glass icon
        pressing the search icon launches Cortana
        pressing the [Not now] button presents a message telling you that Cortana needs your permission
        pressing the [Close] button removes the message, but leaves the pane
        -> I think the [Not now] button should dismiss Cortana, not get a another msg from it and the 2nd [Close] would be unnecessary.
        typing msconfig or Disk Cleanup in the Search box does nothing - no results are returned, no spinner, nada
        Note: I have not connected to the Internet (see Wifi below)

• Navigation tab
        Inactive picks:
        a) Charms corner
        b) Recent corner
        c) Don't show start after I sign in
        the option is selected, I can't change it.

• Start tab
        Deselect both options under privacy - pressing the [Apply] (not ok) button closes dialog window

• Control Panel
      • Autoplay - off
      • File Explorer: show hidden, hide known extensions, no icons on thumbnails, fairly standard changes
      • Index options: remove web cache (Offline files), remove Default user
      • Internet options: too many to list, but noted that SSL 3.0 is still selected.

Slartybart, Jan 25, 2015
  6. 1.Insider Pro: Virtual machine | Preview build update - Hyper-V guest machine a Win8.1 host

• Picking nits:
      • Quick access location still has those unnecessary pins
      • User folders are 'rooted' to This PC - I think that is just wrong. User folders should be 'rooted' to the user profile. That way you are taken to your profile when you hit the address up arrow. As it is, you're taken to This PC.
      • New folder icons - I dunno if I like these. I did like the icons in the previous build (I think)

• Hardware
      • Wifi adapter
        This is an old USB adapter that requires a change to the INF file of an installer for a different device (same chip).
        Changing the HWIDS and using the driver software from the other device installer works in Win7.
        Win10 complains about the Hash and DB, and tells me the file has been tampered with - I say No kidding, hmmm

• While screwing around with the network adaptor, I tried to open a .config file (text). The filetype isn't know and a Store dialog was presented, but no use a local application (I might have missed it, I wasn't a happy camper at this point)

Slartybart, Jan 25, 2015
  7. Why?

My guess is you have disabled or minimized the taskbar search. If you had that in its full size, you would notice that this search occupies the exact same space as the taskbar search, so it overlays it... essentially using the same space. I don't really understand why people have such a hard time understanding how this is supposed to be a good thing. I have the same problem. The taskbar search occupies start menu space - but it is totally not functional. You can't type anything into the search. You think that is a good thing? I installed Win10 9926 on a physical machine, I had//have trouble getting an old USB Wi-Fi adapter working, so I don't have Internet access on that box. I get no results form the taskbar / start menu search box on that machine.
    Modern search works very nice, just not from the taskbar / search menu

I can type in the search box [_msconfig_____] and [_msinfo32_____] just sat there.
    I dismissed Cortana twice (not now and then close)and the white results box only had the hamburger menu in the upper left corner

If you shrink the taskbar, you get the magnifier icon, which brings up a search box - this is nice.
    Still no search results though. It might be hung looking for those trendy things that everyone loves *Wink

I'll have to try a search from that location the next time I fire up the VM with access to the net.
    edit: Taskbar search works fine if you have an Internet connection. Trending is still there, but search works.

Bill

Slartybart, Jan 28, 2015
  8. 9926 Release Journal

I think the stickiness of windows was compromised a while ago - but don't quote me on that. I was hoping that Mystere's Ctrl-X would save the window location and that the window would always open to that position. Apparently it doesn't.

I posted earlier that the last window closed (of a program - i.e. File Explorer or IE) - might 'save' the size and position of the window - it shouldn't work that way. I never got around to test the theory, but I've often thought that the key might be

Control Panel -> Folder Options -> Browse Folders: Open each folder in it's own window

Ran a quick test - it might be the key. See what you get on your machine USMC362

open in own window doesn't solve the issue - forget it.

Slartybart, Jan 28, 2015
  9. I have a different search issue.

I can't stop it from doing an Internet search in addition to a local search.
    I guess I could unplug the Network. *Sad I fired up the VM and tested taskbar search with Internet access.

9926 Release Journal [​IMG]
    So the hang I mentioned earlier is due to the lack of Internet access - or something else on the physical machine install - could be an update, but.... no Internet *Sad

I have mixed feelings about Searching the Internet AND local files. I think there is a great advantage to the capability, but it would be nice to have a choice.

I don't know how MS would decide - settings, buttons, a protocol (web: | all: | own9926 Release Journal :) no protocol would be local searches.

I'd prefer the protocol so I didn't have to go into settings when I searched
    string results from msconfig this machine web:msconfig the web all:msconfig this machine AND the web own:msconfig my own files It looks as though they have the switches, but it's after the fact. C'est la vie - I'm not on the design team. Is there a design team? There was - that got us to 9926, but I think we're going straight forward with the Development teams. 9926 isn't that bad, it has a lot of new stuff and that hasn't coalesced with the previous releases ... more to the point, the new stuff broke a lot.

Bing is still flakey - it took 5 tries to clear or change things in settings. Suggestions would not turn off, Content filters prompted for age confirmation, but didn't turn off. Setting things to default and trying again, eemed to help, doing one and saving seemed to help. In the end everything was set the way I wanted it. Will it be that way when I return to Bing settings on the web? Who knows!

October 1, 2015!

Slartybart, Jan 28, 2015
  10. Insider.microsoft.com forums

A MS poster recommended visiting update.microsoft.com if you experience update issues.
    A Realtek driver (card reader) was repeatedly offered and failed, so I tried it.

I accepted the control offered and was 'returned' to Settings -> Recovery -> WU
    checked for updates and all was well
    - an added bonus - no 933x Preview build was offered (slow or fast ring)

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

9926 Release Journal

1. 9926 Release Journal - Similar Threads - 9926 Release Journal

2. I lost all my journals in Microsoft Journal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost all my journals in Microsoft Journal: I opened Microsoft Journal, appeared the tutorial, and all my folders and journals disappeared. Please help! It's very urgent. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-all-my-journals-in-microsoft-journal/c580385a-f03d-43e9-8e4e-7634e0a5a7e0
  3. I lost all my journals in Microsoft Journal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I lost all my journals in Microsoft Journal: I opened Microsoft Journal, appeared the tutorial, and all my folders and journals disappeared. Please help! It's very urgent. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-all-my-journals-in-microsoft-journal/c580385a-f03d-43e9-8e4e-7634e0a5a7e0
  4. journal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    journal: Windowsjournaljournal https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/journal%E3%81%A7%E5%8D%B0%E5%88%B7%E3%82%A6/d22b95de-d537-466f-a692-083b526318e6
  5. journal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    journal: Windowsjournaljournal https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/journal%E3%81%A7%E5%8D%B0%E5%88%B7%E3%82%A6/d22b95de-d537-466f-a692-083b526318e6
  6. Journal Note Writer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Journal Note Writer: Hi all,I was just given a new work computer running Windows 10 Enterprise.In the past, when given a new computer I did this to install the Journal Note Writer printer.Installed Windows Journal Note Version 10.0.10586.237.Open to make sure it runs.Close.Copied Windows Journal...
  7. Windows journal

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows journal: Hi, I just want to install windows journal but my PC is saying the administrator has a policy that will not enable it. How do I install it please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-journal/7218734a-6edb-4ddb-81d7-636ff6c8caa9
  8. windows journal

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows journal: Will windows journal work on windows 10 it was one of the best programs microsoft ever had and as usual they screw it up and come out with a hard to use program we are not all computer geeks...
  9. Windows Update and Release 9926

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Update and Release 9926: Windows Update is controlled by the Technical Preview install and set to automatic. I noticed that it is only partially automatic now. There were two updates that did not download and install, one I noticed during the Preview Build Update (PBU) and one after the machine...
  10. 9926 Recovery

in Windows 10 Support
    9926 Recovery: I posted this in another thread, but thought folks should be aware of a change to Recovery options in the 9926 build I just ran Disk Cleanup and it removed 5.89 GB of data. This data is your roll back data. I don't know how many members would roll back instead of a fresh...