Windows 10: A basic question about occassional BSOD

Discus and support A basic question about occassional BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I can see that BSOD can be a can of worms, and don't want to tangle with it unless necessary (as I have some other issues I am dealing with). I only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by clayto, Aug 31, 2017.

1. clayto Win User

A basic question about occassional BSOD

I can see that BSOD can be a can of worms, and don't want to tangle with it unless necessary (as I have some other issues I am dealing with). I only get BSOD infrequently, usually a few weeks apart, they don't persist, and the machine runs well for a while after the 100% check and restarting. The last and (as far as I remember, the only) two were 'Page error in an unpaged area'. If I am advised that I need to do a 'proper job' I will, and re-read your instructions first. But I just want to know if it is or is not a good idea to leave things alone, at least for the present?

:)

clayto, Aug 31, 2017

2. after ms updates, booklet not shutting down completely

Recently, I was getting occassional BSODs upon shutting down Windows. Did a restore, and no more BSODs. Have disabled MS updates for the moment.

hemantkamat, Aug 31, 2017
  3. Tom dB Win User
    WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT CompatTelRunner.exe

Could someone help me figure out the cause of this occassional BSOD?

dmp and info files
    are here

Thanks in advance!

Tom dB, Aug 31, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

BSOD are bugchecks to alert the user about problems with drivers or hardware.
    They should be troubleshooted to fix the current problems and for preventative maintenance.

zbook, Sep 1, 2017
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Sep 1, 2017
  6. clayto Win User
    Thank you. They are not the answers I hoped for but rather expected. I will act on it at the next BSOD. Regarding the drivers, they are constantly monitored and updated. I do have one persistent issue reported by Windows Defender which the Troubleshooter says it has not fixed (and is not reported by my drives manager). It is the Bosch Accelerometer. As far as I know it is (almost) never called into use as my 2-in-1 Hybrid is used as a small desktop and (hardly) ever moved. Hence it is something a know little about.

clayto, Sep 3, 2017
  7. clayto Win User
    BSOD again so I followed your posting instruction and tried to download --- dim.log-collector.exe --- It was blocked and removed by Norton Security as dangerous. An option to restore it was not offered. Next step?

clayto, Sep 5, 2017
  8. Spectrum Win User

It's not a malicious file, so you'll need to add it to Norton's white list if possible or temporarily disable Norton while you collect the logs.

Spectrum, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. A basic question about occassional BSOD - Similar Threads - basic question occassional

2. Occassional BSOD Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Occassional BSOD Windows 11: Not sure how this started but I presume a corrupted driver or something however occassionally on startup of Windows 11, my system immediately goes into BSOD before log-in screen and I can't seem to find the cause using WinDbg but I assume you guys will have much better...
  3. Occassional BSOD Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Occassional BSOD Windows 11: Not sure how this started but I presume a corrupted driver or something however occassionally on startup of Windows 11, my system immediately goes into BSOD before log-in screen and I can't seem to find the cause using WinDbg but I assume you guys will have much better...
  4. Basic Font question?

in Windows 10 Support
    Basic Font question?: Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1110 Never had the need to do this before, but how do you install new fonts into the Font folder? I go to the Font folder in C/Windows/Fonts, but I can find no way to install the new fonts I have? They are ttf type. I tried drag and drop, doesn't...
  5. Some questions about BSoD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Some questions about BSoD: Hello , I'm new here and i'm not sure if i sent this thread in right place .. I have Some question and cant find answer ,I would be grateful if anyone could help me to find answers . _________________________________________________ As i Have win7 i'm not sure i can ask about...
  6. Basic question about microsoft store

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Basic question about microsoft store: If I login in microsoft store, is going to be only for the store or for the whole system? submitted by /u/Chuil01 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ervu3c/basic_question_about_microsoft_store/
  7. Permissions - Basic Questions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions - Basic Questions: 1) Has Microsoft changed the names they use for Principal in WIndows 10 versus Windows 7? 2) The following file (see original and new) -- prior to my messing with editing permissions -- had a line for "Trusted Installer". After playing with permissions I attempted to put...
  8. Basic Question about User Permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Basic Question about User Permissions: Hello, I am trying to set up a second user on my laptop (Windows 10) for the first time. The idea is to give a colleague access to a single folder and its subfolders, but not its parent folders or any other folders on the machine. I have created a new user and, from the...
  9. Basic questions about DISM

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Basic questions about DISM: My wife's laptop has a corruption that sfc /scannow could not fix so I am going to try DISM. But first I have some basic questions. (And please forgive any incorrect terminology in the questions.) Last Sept I used the MCT to build a USB flash memory with Win10 AU. I read...
  10. Some basic questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Some basic questions: At the moment I am using Win 7 (Dell OEM) and still considering Win 10. However, there are a few basic questions that I would be grateful for answers to. 1) I have Windows updates set to 'ask before downloading'. The impression I get from the media and internet is that MS...