Windows 10: A Bridge (Win 10) To Far?

Discus and support A Bridge (Win 10) To Far? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I took my 10 yr. old much used and software bloated Dell 1720 Inspiron and gave it a clean install of Vista, then loaded a "new" and unused copy Win 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Fisher Mann, Jul 23, 2017.

1. A Bridge (Win 10) To Far?

I took my 10 yr. old much used and software bloated Dell 1720 Inspiron and gave it a clean install of Vista, then loaded a "new" and unused copy Win 7 and upgraded it including drivers. Next I found the download page for the 10 day trial of Win 10 and installed that.
    While the Win 10 worked fine on the old lappy I could not connect to the internet no matter how much I tried different drivers and WiFi set ups. It would not even recognize that networks were available. I know
    WiFi cards that work with Win 10 are out there but whether they would fit and work in the Inspiron may be a different story. I successfully rolled back to Win 7 but this issue of the inaccessibility of WiFi continues to bug me because I would like to get the Inspiron up and running on Win 10...(4 gb memory, (3.6 usable) plus high end for it's age Nvidia graphics card)
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

Fisher Mann, Jul 23, 2017
  2. cahsolo Win User

Network bridge does not work in windows 10

I was using laptop1 with Win 8 with wifi connection to bridge to another laptop2 via LAN (network bridge), and it was working properly.

Now laptop1 is upgraded to Win 10, however the network bridge doesn't work anymore.

Tried to disconnect and recreate the bridge, but still fail.

How to solve this issue?

Do I need to roll back to Win 8?

cahsolo, Jul 23, 2017
  3. RolyTK Win User
    cannot start my windows 10 destop lenovo computer

there are both on the usb win 10 stick legacy and uefi

At the time it crashed this time i was busy downloading Support Bridge from Lenovo

RolyTK, Jul 23, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

A Bridge (Win 10) To Far?

Just find out what chipset your wifi uses and download them. As for bloated, it does not stop the machine from running if the hard drive has programs on it. It is the speed of the bus and the CPU/GPU that can dog you down.

I have three Intel Core 2 Duo systems running Windows 10 just fine.

bro67, Jul 23, 2017
  5. Hi Fisher Mann

First check out exact card you have and whether you can access it. Instructional videos are available to take apart just about any laptop. My older Dell (D630 with XP Sticker) has the wireless card under keyboard. Not to bad to get at, yours may be different.

You can then select a card, I went Intel with AC band. Now most of the new cards are what they call "Half Height" and your old card will be full height.

Not an issue, you can buy and adapter on ebay (or your choice) that is full height and it allows you to install a half height. Less than $5 US.

The risks. Not all the card capabilities may be usable, like number of antennas. I also find that with my card I have to use a driver from February 2014 even though new drivers are available. Not sure why but I assume it is the way the chipset interacts with it and of course Win 10 wants to use very modern protocols.

You likely will find a similar issue meaning the biggest job you will have is finding just the right driver.

Very doable, just persistence.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 23, 2017
  6. Thanks for the input will give it a go.

7. strollin Win User
    Another possibility is to get a USB wifi dongle. They can be had for very little money and actually work quite well.

strollin, Jul 23, 2017
  8. A Bridge (Win 10) To Far?

I can honestly say I knew about them but never thought about using one in my situation. thanks!

9. Samuria Win User
    If you goto Dells site put in your tag number and see if they have drivers for your card

Samuria, Jul 24, 2017
  10. I did do that and had updated all my drivers in advance of the download.

I retried a trial version of 10 again. The install was quite slow and took about 3 hours from start to finish. This time the WIFI was there and could connect to the internet but was screamingly slow. Spent hours researching things and finally found I needed to register/load IPv4 through the Command Prompt. Works quite well now!!

Will mark as Solved!

Fisher Mann, Aug 11, 2017
  11. I was able to get an even much faster browsing experience, albeit weaker signal, by logging into my router directly instead of going through my Netgear 300 extender. I had just read where people had WiFi issues after upgrading to Win 10 and using an extender. Probably some sort of unfixable driver issue with Win 10 seeing the extender worked with Win 7. The extender works perfectly fine with my Win 10 HP machine.

Fisher Mann, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

A Bridge (Win 10) To Far?

1. A Bridge (Win 10) To Far? - Similar Threads - Bridge Far

2. Unable to install VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver: I am Unable to install VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver. I keep getting the error :Could not add the requested feature. the error is: The specified module could not be found.Can someone help me in resolving the issue as I am unable to connect my virtual boxes to the...
  3. Unable to install VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to install VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver: I am Unable to install VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver. I keep getting the error :Could not add the requested feature. the error is: The specified module could not be found.Can someone help me in resolving the issue as I am unable to connect my virtual boxes to the...
  4. Tried to bridge the connection of the Wifi and Ethernet, now my ethernet does not work on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried to bridge the connection of the Wifi and Ethernet, now my ethernet does not work on...: Tried to bridge the connection between my Wireless Wifi and ethernet. All of a sudden my ethernet status goes down and now says "network cable unplugged", even though its not. Ethernet cable is brand new too. Motherboard is a ASUS Tuf B760M Wifi DDR5...
  5. Tried to bridge the connection of the Wifi and Ethernet, now my ethernet does not work on...

Tried to bridge the connection of the Wifi and Ethernet, now my ethernet does not work on...: Tried to bridge the connection between my Wireless Wifi and ethernet. All of a sudden my ethernet status goes down and now says "network cable unplugged", even though its not. Ethernet cable is brand new too. Motherboard is a ASUS Tuf B760M Wifi DDR5...
  6. Issue with Thunderbolt bridge between two devices.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with Thunderbolt bridge between two devices.: I recently built a new pc tower which has included a Thunderbolt EX 4 card. earlier today I found out that by configuring a Thunderbolt bridge between my Macbook and my pc that I could share files across both of them, which was really cool and useful.However, after I...
  7. Issue with Thunderbolt bridge between two devices.

Issue with Thunderbolt bridge between two devices.: I recently built a new pc tower which has included a Thunderbolt EX 4 card. earlier today I found out that by configuring a Thunderbolt bridge between my Macbook and my pc that I could share files across both of them, which was really cool and useful.However, after I...
  8. Adobe Lightroom and Bridge both open command prompts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adobe Lightroom and Bridge both open command prompts: So I'm seeing both the mentioned programs open and close command prompt windows in a flash before closing them without anything actually happening. This seems, presently, to only happen when asking either program to show a file in Windows Explorer. Happening on a new Pc with...
  9. Adobe Lightroom and Bridge both open command prompts

Adobe Lightroom and Bridge both open command prompts: So I'm seeing both the mentioned programs open and close command prompt windows in a flash before closing them without anything actually happening. This seems, presently, to only happen when asking either program to show a file in Windows Explorer. Happening on a new Pc with...
  10. Bridge two networks on windows

Bridge two networks on windows: Closed. This question is off-topic. It is not currently accepting answers.Hi I wonna ask if I have an ethernet network with an ehtenet NIC and access on internet and another wifi extended network with its wifi nic on a seperate network, if i bridge together the networks on...