Windows 10: A couple of random BSODs when PC is inactive

Discus and support A couple of random BSODs when PC is inactive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I used to have massive problems with my old setup, but thanks to axe0's attention I have fixed it all. Since then, I've upgraded my rig,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kaiketsu, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Kaiketsu Win User

A couple of random BSODs when PC is inactive

Hello,

I used to have massive problems with my old setup, but thanks to axe0's attention I have fixed it all.

Since then, I've upgraded my rig, and ever since I've got a couple of seemingly random BSOD-s. They seem to happen when PC is left idle. Ie. 30-40 mins of inactivity, I notice my screen light up and a BSOD on the screen. I've also got one or two BSODs when randomly clicking on desktop.

Things I've upgraded: mobo, RAM, PSU. My Win10 install is fresh.

Important note: my Mobo and RAM aren't officially compatible. It's something I didn't notice upon buying the RAM - the mobo doesn't list my RAM as supported. HOWEVER, the RAM was set in BIOS to default values (as on the box) and passed memtest + I've finished a couple games on such setup without any issues or BSODs.

Attachment 108668

Please take a look and tell me if something needs a bit of tweaking.

:)

Kaiketsu, Nov 2, 2016

2. Windows 10 freezing, shutdown, BSOD errors and constant 100% disk usage.

Specs added to post.

BSOD errors happen every couple of days, but random shutdowns after a few minutes of online time are more common. Also there is the constant high disk usage, >90%.

Tried the driver verifier method some time ago but it does not makes my pc crash for the BSOD errors to appear nor do i know what exactly makes my pc crash.

SanndyTheManndy, Nov 2, 2016
  3. Win10 BSOD, Help.

Past couple days I'm getting random BSOD and I can't seem to find the problem, can someone help please. I've attached the link to the minidump and msinfo files.

One odd thing is it never happens while I'm working only once when it was shutting down. I for some reason am suspecting windows update. When I come to my PC in the AM it has restarted. The minidump files match what's in event viewer.

I ran verifier and I attached the image in the link. It's reporting a problem with scsiport.sys.

http://1drv.ms/1ZG4sCW

Thanks

Corey

Corey Fleece, Nov 2, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Kaiketsu,

Apologies for the delay.

Are you still in need of help?

axe0, Nov 6, 2016
  5. Kaiketsu Win User
    If you could look at the BSODs I got, I'd be grateful *Smile they are not nearly as menacing as last time, but they do happen from time to time. Perhaps there's a common cause, again.

Kaiketsu, Nov 6, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    A couple of random BSODs when PC is inactive [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    DRIVER VERIFIER

Warning Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.
    Please follow this tutorial to run driver verifier.

Driver verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or when you have a bluescreen, whatever comes first.

If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset in safe mode driver verifier, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

Note Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.

axe0, Nov 6, 2016
  7. Kaiketsu Win User
    Sorry for late reply - I did not get a BSOD when running verifier. *Smile

I did get a whole lot of different issues, though - but that's hardware stuff. If you could take a peek and maybe give me a hint, I'd be grateful:

Z87 Sniper - sudden instability

in any case, I didn't see any BSODs lately. Was something specifically flagged in those that happened to me?

Kaiketsu, Nov 11, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

FYI, if you're still overclocking it may affect the BSOD problem or be the cause of the BSOD problem so I would recommend to turn back to stock while troubleshooting.

9. Kaiketsu Win User
    Well, I run the PC overclocked pretty much since I bought a new mobo and RAM *Wink

axe0, is there anything in those logs that looks obvious to you? I didn't get a BSOD since I started the thread, fortunately *Smile and verifier didn't BSOD either. If you see nothing that's screwed, I'll assume those were just some random instability "sparks" and return if situation persists.

Kaiketsu, Nov 11, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    I don't see much, the cause is likely the overclock (but can't say for sure without you reverting the overclock back for testing)

11. Kaiketsu Win User
    Thank you *Smile if the situation persists I will reactive the thread *Wink

Kaiketsu, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. A couple of random BSODs when PC is inactive - Similar Threads - couple random BSODs

2. [BSOD] Random BSOD when using PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [BSOD] Random BSOD when using PC: Hi,Recently after I cleaned my system unit, I've been experiencing BSOD. I have had BSOD 6x in 2 days and I have no idea how to fix my issue.Tried checking Google and followed the below steps.SFC ScannowCHKDSKUpdate drivers All drivers are updatedWindows UpdateMemory...
  3. [BSOD] Random BSOD when using PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    [BSOD] Random BSOD when using PC: Hi,Recently after I cleaned my system unit, I've been experiencing BSOD. I have had BSOD 6x in 2 days and I have no idea how to fix my issue.Tried checking Google and followed the below steps.SFC ScannowCHKDSKUpdate drivers All drivers are updatedWindows UpdateMemory...
  4. [BSOD] Random BSOD when using PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD every couple hours randomly

DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD every couple hours randomly: Randomly BSOD every couple hours for the least couple days, it show as"DPC Watchdog Violation". I used BlueScreenView and it says that its caused by ntoskrnl.exe. I already tried using DSIM restore health and SFC scan and they show that nothing is wrong,...
  6. Inactivity on pc

in Windows 10 Customization
    Inactivity on pc: After a few minutes of inactivity, my pc returns to the home screen and i have to reenter my pin. How do I stop this from happening as I don't want to repeat sign in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inactivity-on-pc/5812d6bf-882e-4826-8c6e-67a58aedf0f8
  7. Multiple Bluescreens at startup or when pc is inactive

Multiple Bluescreens at startup or when pc is inactive: Hey, my pc went nuts. It feels like 4 different problems. Problem 1: I had a bsod loop at startup. I couldn't even start a Windows installation or autorepair. After some tries i managed to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. For a week or so, everything worked fine....
  8. Random BSODs when turning on my PC

Random BSODs when turning on my PC: Since a few fays ago I'm having random BSODs when turning on my PC. AFONSO-(2019-12-22_17-36-50).zip 146970
  9. Windows 10 falls asleep randomly, sometimes after a couple of hours of inactivity and...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 falls asleep randomly, sometimes after a couple of hours of inactivity and...: Similar questions have been asked before without any solution. So, BEFORE ANSWERING, please avoid any common ordinary answers and please note: 1) Windows is already updated to the latest version (1903). 2) All power saving settings are already checked. 3) Task scheduler...
  10. Random BSOD's when stressing the PC

Random BSOD's when stressing the PC: Hi, I have been getting random BSOD's in the last month or two. I am a Media Production student, therefore I use the PC for video & photo editing, VFX etc. During these activities, when the PC is under high stress, it tends to crush with a random BSOD, such as...