Windows 10: A Couple Questions About Partitions

Discus and support A Couple Questions About Partitions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello forum, I'm a bit of a newbie as far as computers go. I've had this rig currently for about a year and am always messing with it to learn more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JKarch, May 28, 2016.

1. JKarch Win User

A Couple Questions About Partitions

Hello forum, I'm a bit of a newbie as far as computers go. I've had this rig currently for about a year and am always messing with it to learn more about computers as I consider it a hobby and learning experience. Today I decided to take a look at the current disk situation of my rig and I'm a little confused. Feels free to cringe and critique by the way, but this is what it currently looks like Screenshot - b518947407f23079779e775eb20726e7 - Gyazo . Is there anything alarming here? Anything that needs fixing? Are all these partitions necessary? Am I over-reacting? I tried researching this a bit but it still left me confused, I'd love some feedback to learn more about this aspect of computers.

:)

JKarch, May 28, 2016

2. A couple of questions about the reservation and download process

Same Question here I have 7 machine running windows 8.1 Pro after reservation is it possible to have a clean installation if i reserve to upgrade what happened to my data that already exist on the same machines Microsoft didn't clear any thing regarding
    this one more thing I have retail license and I can install this windows on different machines also will it be possible the same thing with windows 10 upgrade so many things are unclear please reply if any one have answer.???

vinodjames, May 28, 2016
  3. osboland Win User
    Just got a Nokia e-52. Couple questions about 3G...there is no 3G icon

Thanks I will try that, I don't press 'right on keypad' maybe thats why, I just continue to spell out the word.

osboland, May 28, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

I'm unable to view the link, probably too much security on my system! There are partitions created by Windows that should never be touched by human hands [even with utility-fingers]. Do you have an OS partition? A data partition? If yes to both Qs, please tell me you are, weekly or bi-monthly, making at least one if not two full image backups of OS and data partitions onto at least one if not two external hard-drives. If not yet, get a routine going before experimenting with partitions *Smile

I was able to view the link. You have three recovery partitions - I have no idea where from they came. The other partitions above those three appear to be Windows 10 generated; others here can confirm.

RolandJS, May 28, 2016
  5. This is what it is.

A Couple Questions About Partitions [​IMG]

COMPUTIAC Guest, May 28, 2016
  6. JKarch Win User
    So what should I do about the recovery partitions? Should I just leave them there? Do they serve any purpose? Will they cause any troubles down the line? Sorry if I sound like an idiot.

Thanks for the response by the way!

JKarch, May 28, 2016
  7. Kyhi Win User
    OK,
    what you have here is the OS on Disk 0 - SSD

A 500MB OEM EFI Boot Files Partition on disk 1
    A 40MB OEM Diagnostics Partition
    A 750MB OEM Recovery Tools Partition
    A 918GB Data Partition - Was the OS Partition
    A 480MB Upgraded OS Recovery Tools Partition
    A 11GB OEM Recovery Image Partition

You have plenty of disk space - so leave the partition alone.....

The problem you will have is - if you remove the HDD your system will not boot, and the SSD would have to be repartitioned and the OS reinstalled

8. JKarch Win User

Ah, I see now. So the system needs both drives to work in tandem to operate normally in it's current state. So in a sense the SSD is like the engine of a car, but the HDD is like the wheels, and the car will not move unless it has both an engine and wheels. I tried to make an analogy to better understand it for my own sake. Am I understanding this correctly?

Also would this be why recently I've been having some Windows related issues when attempting a fresh install of the OS?

JKarch, May 28, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    Basically put, having both drives installed during installation of the OS causes the need for both drives to remain connected to the motherboard. Removing one breaks the booting process for the other. I have 2 drives in my Desktops but only attached the second drive [for storage] after Windows was running, will let me detach or replace the second drive if needed.

Berton, May 28, 2016
  10. JKarch Win User
    So if I were to do a fresh install of the OS and set it up like yours where I can remove the secondary mass storage drive at ease whenever. I'd need to remove the HDD and do a reinstall on the SSD first, then after the install insert the secondary HDD for storage after? Is this correct? If incorrect how would I go about setting up my drives in the manner that you have yours, in my current state?

JKarch, May 28, 2016
  11. Berton Win User
    That's how I do mine, install the OS on C: as the only drive connected then connect the second [or third, etc.] after the system is running properly. An example of wanting to change the second drive would be going from 500GB to 1TB [1000GB] for more capacity. I try for 250GB C: drive and 500GB D: drive depending upon what I have at hand. I always keep the D: drive at the same or greater capacity as the C: drive, one of the 4 computers has a pair of 320GB drives. I always reletter the Optical drive as E: or F: first so I can use D: for the storage drive.

Berton, May 28, 2016
  12. Mystere Win User
    It's definitely a strange configuration. But, don't go deleting things without understanding what they do.

Right now you are not getting the full benefits of the SSD since parts of your OS are still installed on the hard disk.

Mystere, May 28, 2016
  13. JKarch Win User

How would I go about correcting this to get the full benefits of my SSD?

JKarch, May 28, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    Here's an easy way to do it:
    Make a Macrium image of your SSD (Disk 0 which is your OS - "C" ) to your D data drive. Make sure you have "verify" enabled.
    Disconnect Disk 1.
    Clean install W10 onto the SSD Drive 0. This will make all the necessary partitions.
    Shut down.
    Re-connect Disk 1.
    Boot to Kyhi's recovery media.
    Run Macrium Restore and drag the image from D on to the new C partition of your SSD.

Someone else just successfully did this yesterday:
    Solved Previous dual-boot: deleted old Win8, now Win10 won't boot - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, May 28, 2016
  15. Kyhi Win User
    Here's an easy way to do it:
    Boot to 's recovery media.
    Make a Macrium image of your SSD (Disk 0 which is your OS - "C" ) to your D data drive. Make sure you have "verify" enabled.
    shut down
    Disconnect Disk 1. (HDD)
    Boot into the windows setup media + Clean install W10 onto the SSD Drive 0. This will make all the necessary partitions.
    Shut down.
    Re-connect Disk 1. (HDD)
    Re-Boot into 's recovery media.
    Run Macrium Restore and drag the image from D on to the new C partition of your SSD.

Thema:

1. A Couple Questions About Partitions - Similar Threads - Couple Questions Partitions

2. A couple of questions

in Windows 10 Support
    A couple of questions: Q #1. Can cookies be manually added to Google Chrome Browser? I recently purchased a new computer. I backed up my cookies and passwords and added them into the new machine. What I didn't realize that I had to "Turn on Cookies" so websites could recognize my usernames and...
  3. A couple of questions about Edge Chromium

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A couple of questions about Edge Chromium: Does anyone know if it is possible to keep a site muted after the browser gets restarted? When I use Win+Tab I can see pages I've had open/history in Edge on my iPhone, but I don't see any pages I've had open on my actual computer. Does anyone know how to get them to show?...
  4. Question about deleting a partition.

Question about deleting a partition.: [ATTACH] For some reason MSI made two partition on the 500GB M.2 SSD on my GS65 (drive C for Windows and D for Data). I recently added a 1TB nvme to the laptop and was wondering if it was ok for me to delete Drive D so that there are only 2 partitions on my laptop. I'm not...
  5. Question about EFI partition.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about EFI partition.: I converted my boot drive to GPT a couple of days ago. Took a bit of effort because I used minitools instead of reimaging. I had to re-register a couple of pieces of software but other than all my software and hardware are functioning correctly. This is a snapshot of the MS...
  6. A Couple of Questions about Windows Store Apps

A Couple of Questions about Windows Store Apps: 1) Is it possible to move an existing app which is installed from an internal HDD to an External HDD? 2) Is it possible to download apps to an external HDD but use those apps on another Windows 10 PC? Thanks in advance. submitted by /u/N4WW4F [link] [comments]...
  7. A couple of questions about a clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A couple of questions about a clean install: Hi, I'd like to ask two questions regarding what happened in my case when installing Windows 10 recently. When I clean installed using my USB installation media for version 1903 18362.356 a strange thing happened during the Windows Setup stage. After entering my Microsoft...
  8. Question about recovery partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about recovery partition: OneKey Recovery no longer works on my laptop, presumably because of a clean install, so I'm planning to start using Macrium Reflect. There's a hidden partition called "PRB_DRV". How can I tell whether it's safe to delete this partition? 131144
  9. a question about partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    a question about partitions: [img] I would like 2 know if its possible to some how reclaim the unallocated space and merge it back with C: windows drive... I know disk management wont allow it because the unallocated space isn't adjacent to the main partition... the 2 smaller recovery partitions...
  10. Couple questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Couple questions: First of all does anyone know a simple way to deny permissions to an unknown user in the registry? S-1-15-3-1024-1065365936-1281604716-3511738428-1654721687-432734479-3232135806-4053264122-3456934681 this unknown user has read permissions all through out the registry - I...