Windows 10: A drive takes up a letter, doesn't appear in disk management

Discus and support A drive takes up a letter, doesn't appear in disk management in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello After reinstalling win10 i noticed that i have a drive that takes up a letter and it doesn't appear in disk management, so i can't change it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Matwoj, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Matwoj Win User

A drive takes up a letter, doesn't appear in disk management

Hello
    After reinstalling win10 i noticed that i have a drive that takes up a letter and it doesn't appear in disk management, so i can't change it's letter to something like Z: and hide it. It's nothing major but I'd just like F: to be the letter that pendrives get when i connect them.
    Does anyone know how to change the letter of that drive with it not showing in disk management?
    Thanks

:)

Matwoj, Aug 30, 2016

2. Problems assigning drive letter in Windows 10

I am running Windows 10. Within the past week or so I've had two problems assigning drive letters - I put them both in the post as they may be related.

First, when I assign a drive letter it takes anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to complete. It doesn't seem to matter what external drive is involved or what letter I want to assign.

Second, the most recent time I tried to assign a drive letter (to an external drive previously used) I received a message that said "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the
    refresh task. If the problem persists, close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer."

The drive in Disk Management shows a Healthy NTFS Primary Partition and the drive appears in File Explorer. First I tried restarting Disk Management. No change. Second I tried rebooting the computer. No change. Finally I tried doing Action | Refresh. The
    line for Drive 4 completely disappeared from Disk Management. The full lines for disks 0-3 and the blank lines for disks 5-6 still appear. Every few minutes the line for disk 4 will show up again as a healthy partition, then it will disappear again a few minutes
    later.

I wonder if the two problems may be related or where to go from here. When the Disk 4 line shows up in Disk Management, everything looks just fine with it.

TryingTiara62, Aug 30, 2016
  3. Missing Drives On Windows Explorer

This is similar to what is happening on my home computer. Certain drive letters will not appear in Windows Explorer. I have to manually type the drive letter to list the contents. It affects the external hard drives and USBs that I connect to the computer
    that automatically get assigned the next consecutive drive letter. They simply do not appear in Explorer, but show up in Device Manager with no issues.

If I use Disk Management and reassign the drive to a different letter, then the external hard drive appears in Explorer normally. It's only certain letters (like E: and F: and GA drive takes up a letter, doesn't appear in disk management :) that don't appear. They used to appear fine, but stopped a long time ago after
    an update was applied.

istargazer, Aug 30, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Is it a network drive which has been mapped to a drive letter? If so,you can just right click the drive and remove it.

Steve C, Aug 30, 2016
  5. Boice Win User
    Will the drive appear when in some third-party software like AOMEI Partition Assistant or EaseUs or else?

Boice, Sep 9, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    An actual drive should appear in partition management software but I don't think a mapped network drive will.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. A drive takes up a letter, doesn't appear in disk management - Similar Threads - drive takes letter

2. External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...: Hi everyone,I'm facing an ongoing issue with my external SSD, as it consistently skips drive letter E and defaults to drive letter F every time I connect it to my computer. Despite attempting to fix it through Disk Management and changing the drive letter back to E, it only...
  3. External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...: Hi everyone,I'm facing an ongoing issue with my external SSD, as it consistently skips drive letter E and defaults to drive letter F every time I connect it to my computer. Despite attempting to fix it through Disk Management and changing the drive letter back to E, it only...
  4. D: drive disappeared, doesn't appear in BIOS or Device/Disk Manager

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    D: drive disappeared, doesn't appear in BIOS or Device/Disk Manager: So everything was normal until yesterday when I booted up my computer and what to my wondering eyes should appear, not my D: drive that's for sure. It had just vanished and I can't open anything referencing something on it. It's a Seagate Firecuda 2TB ST2000LX001, had it for...
  5. D: drive disappeared, doesn't appear in BIOS or Device/Disk Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D: drive disappeared, doesn't appear in BIOS or Device/Disk Manager: So everything was normal until yesterday when I booted up my computer and what to my wondering eyes should appear, not my D: drive that's for sure. It had just vanished and I can't open anything referencing something on it. It's a Seagate Firecuda 2TB ST2000LX001, had it for...
  6. D: drive disappeared, doesn't appear in BIOS or Device/Disk Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 - disk management - attach VHD doesn't assign drive letter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - disk management - attach VHD doesn't assign drive letter: After doing a system image backup to another drive, I tried using disk manager to attach the .vhdx image file with read only checked, and it appears to attach the image, but no drive letter is assigned. What am I missing here?...
  8. Can't assign a letter for drive in Windows Disk Manager

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't assign a letter for drive in Windows Disk Manager: I have a drive which have three partitions one unallocated, I want to change the letter of a partition. I can't change the drive letter.. i tried many software but I can't. Please help Thanks in advance. Here is the Image >> [ATTACH]...
  9. Task manager doesn't show drive letters next to some drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Task manager doesn't show drive letters next to some drives: I'm on 2004, but the issue was there in 1909. On the performance tab of task viewer, for some reason some of my drives, don't show the drive letter next to them. [img] 156027
  10. Can't edit drive letter in disk manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't edit drive letter in disk manager: I have a recovery partition on my laptop which is currently assigned drive letter E: I am continually getting notifications that the drive is full. The notifications are getting super annoying. I was going to unassign the drive letter so that I don't get the notifications....