Windows 10: A driver won't update and it's causing my device to report a driver error? Maybe?

Discus and support A driver won't update and it's causing my device to report a driver error? Maybe? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I contacted ASUS support already, but when I locate the error message in settings it takes me to microsoft support. I'm getting a warning saying my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ellie Bell, Feb 22, 2024.

1. A driver won't update and it's causing my device to report a driver error? Maybe?

I contacted ASUS support already, but when I locate the error message in settings it takes me to microsoft support. I'm getting a warning saying my driver health is limited. My device wants me to install this update "Hewlett-Packard - USB - 6/1/2018 12:00:00 AM - 46.2.2631.18152" but the update just fails if I try to install it. ASUS wants me to send my laptop in, but I think I just need this update to install and my issue will be resolved? All I can find online is how to hide the update, but I want to actually fix the issue. Any help is appriciated. Thanks!

:)

Ellie Bell, Feb 22, 2024
  2. DIA
    Dia Win User

Error Message: The device, ATITool Driver, is reporting "52".

Today is the second time my PC (Windows 7 OS) blinked out and I got the blue screen warning me that an error had occurred. When I ran a diagnostic, the report claimed that "The device, ATITool Driver, is reporting "52"." I opened the Device Mgr. and clicked on ATITool but the program didn't give me the option of updating the driver. It shows the warning/error message: "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

How do I fix this, please?

3. Windows 10 update won't install printer driver - Error 0x80240017

Recently I got a driver update for my HP printer delivered through the Windows 10 updater. It seems that the driver was successfully downloaded but cannot be properly installed, every time I try I'll get the following error:

The printer is actually a network printer. I checked the driver through the device manager and the newest driver is supposedly already installed. So I went ahead and uninstalled the printer (which is now a problem since I cannot simply add the printer again because I have no access to the network currently) to get rid of the update error, but the error still persists. Troubleshooting the updater also has no effect.

Now I wanted to check the registry entries (as was suggested here) for the printer in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print but the HP printer doesn't show up any more (maybe uninstalling was too early) and therefore I have no idea what registries I could delete without breaking anything.

Does anyone have an idea on how to proceed? Maybe even a complete different approach?

EDIT:

• the suggested approach in the comments to install the HP driver suite didn't work for me

user190080, Feb 22, 2024
  4. A driver won't update and it's causing my device to report a driver error? Maybe?

Faulty Audio Driver Causing Constant Error Reports/Logs

Easiest is to add this Take Ownership shortcut on your right click menu, to use in cases like this on files and folders which won't cooperate:
    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/add-take-ownershi...

When you get to the folder that will not open or flashes permission errors or any blocking message, just right click it to Take Ownership, down to the target file.

If you uninstalled the wrong driver then System Restore to a point before this happened:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-r...

If that doesn't work then go into the Device Manager and find the device that's in error with a yellow ! missing it's driver, trace it using it's Hardware ID here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

What's the error when you try to install Realtek driver?

The folder is alright to leave with your account as the owner, that's sufficient.

What told you this was the driver that was installing itself to block the needed driver? Did you follow the steps in the Driver Talent tutorial to trace the exact driver before removing it?

Report back results for each step so I know what else to suggest.

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the answers and results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-2020 (retired), Feb 22, 2024
Thema:

A driver won't update and it's causing my device to report a driver error? Maybe?

1. A driver won't update and it's causing my device to report a driver error? Maybe? - Similar Threads - driver won't update

2. A driver won't update and it's causing my device to report a driver error? Maybe?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A driver won't update and it's causing my device to report a driver error? Maybe?: I contacted ASUS support already, but when I locate the error message in settings it takes me to microsoft support. I'm getting a warning saying my driver health is limited. My device wants me to install this update "Hewlett-Packard - USB - 6/1/2018 12:00:00 AM -...
  3. Device driver won't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device driver won't work: I'm having an issue with my device it won't work on my computer but works on my laptop I know the driver is finished as I see the installation is complete. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/device-driver-wont-work/3bac877d-f87d-4681-be34-ff6ce4eeeac1
  4. Device driver won't work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device driver won't work: I'm having an issue with my device it won't work on my computer but works on my laptop I know the driver is finished as I see the installation is complete. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/device-driver-wont-work/3bac877d-f87d-4681-be34-ff6ce4eeeac1
  5. Faulty Audio Driver Causing Constant Error Reports/Logs

Faulty Audio Driver Causing Constant Error Reports/Logs: So I've noticed that over the last few days my laptop fan is just running constantly, even when I'm not doing any high-load tasks like using many broswer tabs or gaming -- this is extremely abnormal, and I know because I can usually tell how hard I"m pushing my computer just...
  6. Faulty Audio Driver Causing Constant Error Reports/Logs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Faulty Audio Driver Causing Constant Error Reports/Logs: So I've noticed that over the last few days my laptop fan is just running constantly, even when I'm not doing any high-load tasks like using many broswer tabs or gaming -- this is extremely abnormal, and I know because I can usually tell how hard I"m pushing my computer just...
  7. Device driver won't work

Device driver won't work: Hello I bought a new mouse for my gaming PC.I tried using it today but it only updated the driver but the mouse still not working. I tried putting it to my laptop and it work perfectly. I updated my drive but it won't fix the issue. The mouse won't work in my PC but working...
  8. Drivers update causing error on pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drivers update causing error on pc: Yesterday my windows pc did a drivers update and suggested a restart, after around an hour of restarting I figured something was wrong so turned it off and back on and now every time I turn on my pc I get an error message with stop code inaccessible boot device. I took all...
  9. Drivers update causing error on pc

Drivers update causing error on pc: Yesterday my windows pc did a drivers update and suggested a restart, after around an hour of restarting I figured something was wrong so turned it off and back on and now every time I turn on my pc I get an error message with stop code inaccessible boot device. I took all...
  10. Device manager won't update drivers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Device manager won't update drivers: for my graphics driver, when I try to manually update it from device manager, the download bar will appear, but never follow through. it'll download for a bit and then just before it finishes downloading, it suddenly aborts and tell me the newest driver is already installed....