Windows 10: A few basic display adapter questions

Discus and support A few basic display adapter questions in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; New Lenovo P50 Win10 Nvidia Quadro M1000M (Driver 8/27/15, 10.18.13.5404). The Nvidia was part of the base package--didn't really need it. 1. If... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by markg2, May 6, 2016.

1. markg2 Win User

A few basic display adapter questions

New Lenovo P50 Win10 Nvidia Quadro M1000M (Driver 8/27/15, 10.18.13.5404).

The Nvidia was part of the base package--didn't really need it.

1. If I have this fancy adapter why then is the Intel HD Graphics 530 also running per device manager? Shouldn't one or the other be automatically disabled?

It appears that the Nvidia is not the default operator of the two. I needed to load a graphics program by its .exe. I had right clicked for another reason and was given the option to (paraphrased) 'use high performance graphics' which to me indicates the Nvidia otherwise apparently would not have been used. This seems nuts. If there are two display adapters and one is clearly superior, it should always be used?

2. If a second monitor is VGA, DVI can I attach it to the machine's HDMI port with an adapter (machine doesn't have a VGA port) or no? Btw, the machine also has a Thunderbolt™ 3 Port.

Mark

:)

markg2, May 6, 2016
  2. John Sarc Win User

microsoft basic display adapter question and concern

Hi,

To resolve your concern regarding sleep feature, see this link:
    Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC.

Also, with regard to Graphics card, we suggest that you get in touch with your computer manufacturer.

Let us know if you have any questions.

John Sarc, May 6, 2016
  3. movilogo Win User
    a few basic questions before I buy 5800 express

a. can't comment

b. see this thread

/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&message.id=178037#M178037

c. Yes it can happen. 5800 firmware has several bugs and can often throw random problems!

In some cases, hard reset is only solution to fix those. On other hand, if you want to avoid that, you need to hack the phone (which can't be discussed here).

movilogo, May 6, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

1) Web search for NVidia's Optimus technology. (It uses the Intel graphics for low-performance purposes, and the nVidia GPU for high performance stuff. The point is power saving in a notebook.)

2) Yes, there are adapters from HDMI to VGA and DVI. (I'm a little surprised about the VGA: it's analog, and I didn't think there were any analog video signals on an HDMI port. Judging from the price of an HDMI to VGA adapter, it must be passive.) There are also Thunderbolt adapters: Thunderbolt is a superset of DisplayPort.

bobkn, May 6, 2016
  5. markg2 Win User
    1) I use a laptop 98+% of the time on commercial power. I do not see any cons to disabling the Intel adapter. I see these benefits: A. giving any graphic CPU time back to non graphic use, B. Since the Nvidia has 2GB of RAM it likely wouldn't need to use the system's memory, C. If you have it (the better adapter) you may as well use it. I have no dog in this fight. If for any reason the aforementioned is illogical or would create some problem I'm unaware of let me know. Otherwise I guess I'd disable the Intel adapter not having the need for the technology that 'seamlessly switches between the two processors based upon demand/energy use'?

2) Here's the reason for asking. Last evening the adapter arrived, I attached the Acer VGA to the HDMI port and the Acer seemed to work fine (except I couldn't get the monitors to switch in extended to the laptop being '1' whereas I had no problem with the old Win7 Lenovo T61). Until I got an error 'Display driver stopped working' and the Acer image was gone. I rebooted to no avail. Display/Detect found no second monitor. Same situation this a.m. That's why I was thinking the problem was the VGA/HDMI transition. Frankly, I don't know what else to try/look for (I've reattached the connector at the HDMI port and the VGA end has been screwed to the monitor). It could be the connector but I have no way of testing and I'm not sure that the driver failure would relate to the signal adapter. The connector was ~$8 and a VGA/Thunderbolt is ~$12-22. Both of which are a lot less than a new compliant monitor. Suggestions?

(edit): The driver error didn't say which driver. Maybe I should try disabling each driver separately to see if the monitor problem is related to one or the other adapters????

Mark

markg2, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. A few basic display adapter questions - Similar Threads - few basic display

2. basic display adapter drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    basic display adapter drivers: How can I update the driver for the basic display adapter windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/basic-display-adapter-drivers/b5adc157-a44f-4366-ae17-6342d8c362ef
  3. basic display adapter drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    basic display adapter drivers: How can I update the driver for the basic display adapter windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/basic-display-adapter-drivers/b5adc157-a44f-4366-ae17-6342d8c362ef
  4. microsoft basic display adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft basic display adapter: microsoft basic display adapter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-basic-display-adapter/c3f88116-72f2-480d-93dc-9b37b5c4b807
  5. Microsoft Basic display adapter

Microsoft Basic display adapter: Hi folks,first of all I wanna say I know this question has been asked a lot but after many tries I still haven't found a fixAfter updating my drivers with driver booster and a restart I noticed my NVidia drivers were replaced with "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"I have tried...
  6. microsoft basic display adapter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft basic display adapter: VGN-FS570, clean install from xp to win 10 having a problem the graphic display, only seeing microsoft basic display adapter, not getting the full screen of the display, cannot change the adapter, tried to install adapter, not supported by your device the problem is cannot...
  7. Microsoft basic display adapter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft basic display adapter: The name of GPU is not shown in device manager, it's showing MICROSOFT BASIC DISPLAY ADAPTER. And when I try to upgrade GPU DRIVERS it's told best drivers are already installed. And Nvidia installer cannot continue is also being written when I try to install it by Nvidia...
  8. Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter: Driver cannot be installed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-basic-display-adapter/1596a9b8-f87d-4a42-908b-f285f803dd18
  9. Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter: I have a GTX 1050ti but device manager shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter i tried updating it but it didn't work i tried updating my OS to Windows 10 but it still shows "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" i tried plugging my graphics card to other computers it works but it...
  10. Basic Display Adapter Issue

Basic Display Adapter Issue: I have a problem with my newly upgraded old laptop to windows 10 pro. The display is not good, the video is fragmented and sometimes freezing. I have checked all the drivers in the device manager and updated all but still no changes. In the display adapter the driver is named...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why on;y get basic display adapter