Windows 10: Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10

Discus and support Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10 How to Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10 Microsoft WordPad is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10

How to: Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10

How to Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10

Microsoft WordPad is a basic rich text editor first included with Microsoft Windows 95 and all versions of Windows since. It is more advanced than Microsoft Notepad but simpler than Microsoft Word.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18980, Microsoft converted WordPad into an Option Feature for you to uninstall or reinstall to save disk space if needed.

This tutorial will show you how to install or uninstall the classic WordPad (write.exe) app for all users in Windows 10.

While you can uninstall Microsoft WordPad if wanted, it currently will fail to reinstall afterwards.

Until this is fixed in a future build of Windows 10, you can do a repair install of Windows 10 to restore Microsoft WordPad.

UPDATE: This is no longer an issue in build 18999 and higher.

Contents
    • Option One: Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Optional Features
    • Option Two: Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Command Prompt

EXAMPLE: Microsoft WordPad

Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Optional Features
    1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Apps icon.

2 Click/tap on Apps & features on the left side, and click/tap on the Optional features link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3 Do step 4 (install) or step 5 (uninstall) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Install Microsoft WordPad
    This is the default setting.

A) Click/tap on Add a feature. (see screenshot below)

B) Scroll down, check WordPad, click/tap on Install, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. To Uninstall Microsoft WordPad
    A) Scroll down, click/tap on WordPad under Installed features, click/tap on the Uninstall button, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshots below)

6 You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Command Prompt
    You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

1 Open an elevated command prompt.

2 Do step 3 (install) or step 4 (uninstall) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Install Microsoft WordPad
    This is the default setting.

A) Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 5 below.

DISM /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:Microsoft.Windows.WordPad~~~~0.0.1.0

4. To Uninstall Microsoft WordPad
    A) Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 5 below.

DISM /Online /Remove-Capability /CapabilityName:Microsoft.Windows.WordPad~~~~0.0.1.0
    5 You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 20, 2018

2. Wordpad

Hello Tatic,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please provide some additional information, so that we can assist you better.

What exactly you mean when you say ‘deleted’, are you referring to the application which was showing in the Start menu or the application was uninstalled from your computer?

WordPad is a basic word processor that is included with almost all the versions of Microsoft Windows.

I would suggest you to follow below mentioned steps.

1. Click on Start menu and type ‘WordPad' in the taskbar search and click on the result. This will open WordPad.
    2. If you’re not able to open WordPad, Press
      Windows + R and type ‘Write’ and hit enter.
    3. You will WordPad application launching on the
      screen.
    4. Navigate to C:\windows\system32\ and look for a ‘write’ (File).
    5. You will see the application now.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes or No’.

Harish

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Harish_kum, Oct 27, 2019
  3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Oct 27, 2019
  5. TaticPT Win User
    Wordpad

I did uninstalled it by accident and when I tried to open it, it says "Could not create new document"

TaticPT, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Wordpad for Windows 10

I installed Wordpad for Windows 10. However, when I attempt to "Open" a file, my file list doesn't contain the subfolder that I need. the subfolder exists in Windows Explorer. Any suggestions?

youraarpness, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10

1. Install or Uninstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Install Uninstall Microsoft

2. Wordpad app uninstalled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wordpad app uninstalled: Hi All,Wordpad app has been erased. I'd like to re-install but I understand that it's no longer available. How can I get around this problem? Thanks in advance.Dorabella...
  3. Wordpad app uninstalled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wordpad app uninstalled: Hi All,Wordpad app has been erased. I'd like to re-install but I understand that it's no longer available. How can I get around this problem? Thanks in advance.Dorabella...
  4. I need help with uninstalling wordpad.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help with uninstalling wordpad.: Ever since i got wordpad i've gotten thousands of popups opening the same **** document even when i'm playing games, soon i'll wake up to billions of tabs open and they are all going to be wordpad documents...
  5. I need help with uninstalling wordpad.

I need help with uninstalling wordpad.: Ever since i got wordpad i've gotten thousands of popups opening the same **** document even when i'm playing games, soon i'll wake up to billions of tabs open and they are all going to be wordpad documents...
  6. Re-install WordPad

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Re-install WordPad: Hi! My brother accidentally deleted WordPad on my computer, and now I can't seem to re-install it... It also had a bunch of school documents in it, and I was wondering if there was a way to recover them?Thanks a lot!PS: This thread was marked as Microsoft Store because in...
  7. Re-install WordPad

Re-install WordPad: Hi! My brother accidentally deleted WordPad on my computer, and now I can't seem to re-install it... It also had a bunch of school documents in it, and I was wondering if there was a way to recover them?Thanks a lot!PS: This thread was marked as Microsoft Store because in...
  8. How to Uninstall and Reinstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Uninstall and Reinstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Since the release of Windows 95, all of us have encountered Microsoft’s rich text editor WordPad once in our life. WordPad is a powerful yet […] This article How to Uninstall and Reinstall Microsoft WordPad in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  9. How can I Uninstall wordPad on windows 10?!?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I Uninstall wordPad on windows 10?!?: How can I uninstall Wordpad on Windows 10, it is so annoying!!! Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-uninstall-wordpad-on-windows-10/0755c1ff-4e28-4d96-92a0-b5765b6a9ff4
  10. Wordpad for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wordpad for Windows 10: I installed Wordpad for Windows 10. However, when I attempt to "Open" a file, my file list doesn't contain the subfolder that I need. the subfolder exists in Windows Explorer. Any suggestions?...