Windows 10: A Good Email client while the global malware problem is being fixed

Discus and support A Good Email client while the global malware problem is being fixed in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi Folks I'd suggest for the next few days at least to use a different EMAIL client than outlook until the whole sorry mess of the current worldwide... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by jimbo45, May 14, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

A Good Email client while the global malware problem is being fixed

Hi Folks

I'd suggest for the next few days at least to use a different EMAIL client than outlook until the whole sorry mess of the current worldwide malware thing has been fixed.

1) APPLY all the security patches (should always be a given anyway).

2) Set your email to IMAP rather than POP3 so it doesn't get stored on Local folders -- in any case IMAP is a good idea as you can access email from other devices such as phones, tablets, other computers etc and you can connect to Ms Exchange servers too.

3) Thunderbird is robust and fairly "Outlook like" so people shouldn't have too much trouble using it. If you have set to IMAP then once this scare is over and you go back to Outlook the email will still be in the same folders.

4) If you can run it on a Linux system (Host or VM) then you are extra protected from this malware even if you open a dubious email link as the executable can't run on a Linux machine (currently -- who knows what these scumbags will get up to in the future).

5) Again treat any email you don't know about or are even slightly suspicious of with the same care as a Hand grenade with the pin removed !!!

(BTW Thunderbird can handle multiple accounts on different servers and has calendar stuff too so it shouldn't be a real problem to use it for a while -- and of course it's FREE).

Cheers -- and SAFE emailing.

Jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 14, 2017

2. RD Client App

Good morning,

I was wondering if the problem with RD client for iPad (password not being stored so not able to log in) was global or just affecting certain users?

Anyone else got the experience after the update on the 18th March?

Thanks,

Phil

philgoodwin_826, May 14, 2017
  3. exporting from live mail to import into windows 10 mail

Having the same problem, it seems the Win8/10 dev team forgot that there's an email protocol called POP3 that downloads email to your computer, still very popular in the real world, and other previous Microsoft email programs supported this protocol. Not
    everybody wants to use an imap or web based email. Being able to import email messages from other client software is a fundamental feature for any good email client, apparently Microsoft have decided that Win10 Mail isn't going to be a good email client, it's
    going to be a mobile phone app!

BryanMannering, May 14, 2017
  4. dencal Win User

Whatever e-mail provider you use ditch any from unknown sources, and NEVER click on links without establishing it is bona fide, even if purportedly from a known person Company or Enterprise.

dencal, May 15, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Absolutely -- but if the worst does happen then you can minimize the effects and disruption to possibly other machines on a network or Home LAN even -- typically even an average house with say 2 / 3 kids has a few computers around.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 15, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    And do not forget to make regular image backups.

cereberus, May 15, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

AND DATA too -- especially if your data is on different drives -- ransomware wants to attack ALL the HDD's not just the OS.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 15, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

I would suggest that ISP email accounts *might* be at risk because they are often secondary services that aren't important in the ISP's products.

Having said that, I use gmail, so I would hope that Google have this under control.

swarfega, May 15, 2017
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@swarfega

For connecting to work accounts you can't usually use things like gmail - (at least in some of my client gigs) although if you use it I would imagine Google should have sufficient resources to either deal with the problem or prevent it happening in the first place.

Problem would definitely be worse though if you removed email from the server to local folders to use offline -- then you'd get potential problems - however a virus could still be transmitted to your PC if you clicked on an attachment if Google's AV scanning wasn't 100% OK.

That's why currently I'm using Thunderbird on Linux -- there's no way a windows executable will run on this OS -- not to say that Linux won't be attacked in the future -- I believe APPLE Mac OS (a Linux / Unix derivative) has had some attacks in the past -- more difficult to do but not 100% impossible.

Watch also Mobile phones -- there's huge money for these nasty people if they can really get this stuff distributed by Android phones -- most people don't think twice of syncing all their devices -- getting malware on to a computer network via mobile phones is the next target I'm sure -computer networks can be protected in some way or another - but millions of individual mobile phones especially with people as young as 4 using them -- you've NO CHANCE !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. A Good Email client while the global malware problem is being fixed - Similar Threads - Email client while

2. email client problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    email client problems: Whenever my email client tries to load emails from the servers I get authentication failure every time, I put it down to my particular client having problems but I've tried it with different clients now and I'm getting the same problemFair email for androidMailbird for...
  3. email client problems

in Windows 10 Customization
    email client problems: Whenever my email client tries to load emails from the servers I get authentication failure every time, I put it down to my particular client having problems but I've tried it with different clients now and I'm getting the same problemFair email for androidMailbird for...
  4. email client problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. updating email client

updating email client: hiyaim getting the following error code when updating my yahoo account0x8019019awhat does it mean and how can i fix itthanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updating-email-client/4a7c8754-087a-4e39-9ce6-35e9ee828797
  6. Good mail client for Windows 10?

in Browsers and Email
    Good mail client for Windows 10?: Find a new mail client, because the one from Microsoft never works properly It should automatically sort out spam and advertising, similar to Gmail Furthermore, he should not have annoying waiting times when retrieving mail Guter Mailclient für Windows 10?
  7. Default email client problem in MS outlook

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Default email client problem in MS outlook: Hi, I keep getting this"either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the message request" error popup whenever I launch outlook. I've tried all the solutions mentioned here and it is still there. I've also tried the Adobe solution posted...
  8. A good email program

in Browsers and Email
    A good email program: I have used MS Office and office out look for many years. But it seems that Outlook , like the Ol' Gray Mare just ain't what she used to be. I'm having problems with it and would like to change. Does any one know of a good one to use.? I also have used gmail but I would...
  9. POP3 email clients

POP3 email clients: I have Windows 10 Pro and I'm desperately trying to find a program that actually works using POP3. I've tried Yandex, Mailbird, (which I have paid full price for in 2016 and 2018 when it said POP3 with NO constructive help from them to get it to work) Thunderbird but have...
  10. email client

in Browsers and Email
    email client: I have Windows 10 pro and have been using Windows Mail; unfortunately it is erratic syncing and I just lost a valuable folder. It seems ok at times and I like its simplicity because I am at an average tech level. I have had other issues with it so have discontinued use....