Windows 10: A grey box appears then disappears when signing into microsoft account

Discus and support A grey box appears then disappears when signing into microsoft account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, when I try to sign in to my microsoft account via the store, cortana or settings, a grey box appears then after a couple of seconds will disappear.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by marylou, Aug 16, 2015.

1. marylou Win User

A grey box appears then disappears when signing into microsoft account

Hi, when I try to sign in to my microsoft account via the store, cortana or settings, a grey box appears then after a couple of seconds will disappear. This means I cannot sign into my account at all! Any help much appreciated, I am running windows 10, on a HP laptop that used to run windows 7, also it is a 64 Bit. If you need any other information, please ask *Smile

:)

marylou, Aug 16, 2015
  2. Gordeemcb Win User

Guys I fought with this same issue there is an easy fix. open news, store or any other windows app. choose login from there, if it already lists the Microsoft account you want don't click on it. instead click new account. log in from there and follow through.
    now you are logged in on the windows account A grey box appears then disappears when signing into microsoft account :)

Gordeemcb, Aug 16, 2015
  3. A grey box appears then disappears when signing into microsoft account

You may want to first separately create a new Microsoft account
    at this address
    . Remember that setting a new Microsoft account is overly complicated, they will probably ask you an already existing email address, send you a code number to that address to validate your new Microsoft account, and so on.

I have to confess, Microsoft has a complex thinking, too much for the average person - most of the population - who is not skilled in computers. Something in this company has a way too complex and complicated thinking. Hopefully one day things will turn
    much, much simple.

With a new account, go to the task bar of your desktop (left lower corner) type msconfig in the box where is written 'search windows', the System configuration window will pop up, select 'services' tab, then at bottom right click 'enable all', then click
    ok, and choose to restart the computer. Once restarted, click the small windows icon at the left bottom corner on the task bar (deactivate the tablet mode if is set on), click the third lower link 'settings', click 'accounts', click 'sign in with Microsoft
    account' and use the account you just created. Even if this works, you are not out of trouble, Microsoft may ask again to verify the signing in with a code number... and other complex steps... keep it simple, read completely all the text in each window
    before clicking a button, choose the simplest options and discard all 'extra' options at all moment.

Mathias001, Aug 16, 2015
  4. Harpert Win User

Hi,

can you make a screen dump of what is happening?
    Were you using a local account or a Microsoft account before the upgrade?
    Are you sure that Microsoft Store is working at all?
    Did you try switching off Windows Update via the Services.msc? this will also cause the Store not to function anymore

can you login locally (not with a Microsoft account?)

Harpert, Aug 16, 2015
  5. marylou Win User
    It is not letting me paste the screen shot in, but I was using a local account I believe, the store works up until the point where you sign in to install apps and thats when the grey box appears and won't let me log in. No, I have not tried switching off windows update and I can log in locally. Thanks for replying

marylou, Aug 16, 2015
  6. I had the grey login box but after a few tries it lets me login to my MS account. This is in the store or settings it used to happen.

I still have a problem where my windows lock screen/login screen has just the time etc on a grey background; no pictures etc.

JohnnyBlazE, Aug 16, 2015
  7. Same problem. Please point me to a simple solution cuz I am a simple person, not a Microsoft programmer.

QUOTE=marylou;346676]Hi, when I try to sign in to my microsoft account via the store, cortana or settings, a grey box appears then after a couple of seconds will disappear. This means I cannot sign into my account at all! Any help much appreciated, I am running windows 10, on a HP laptop that used to run windows 7, also it is a 64 Bit. If you need any other information, please ask *Smile[/QUOTE]

gschoenfeld1955, Aug 16, 2015
  8. A grey box appears then disappears when signing into microsoft account

I succeeded in taking a screenshot of my problem logging in under Cortana. It is attached. Please help!

gschoenfeld1955, Aug 16, 2015
  9. LaurieJC Win User
    I have the same problem and same grey box. After upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7, it seems Windows just automatically took the local logon from Win7 during the install. Never asked me for my Microsoft account. So I find out with the local account there is a lot I can not do. I cannot "Sign in with Microsoft account instead" - get big grey box, that disappears. I cannot add another new user account - same grey box. Cannot use the Store. Cannot sync. Cannot use Cortana, etc.

I've searched the Internet for hours, and find that so many people are having this same problem. This is definitely a Microsoft issue. A very few have solved the problem but those steps don't work for my computer. One person's fix was getting the latest update. That didn't work for me either. Someone must have a fix. Maybe an adjustment in the Registry. I'm getting very frustrated.

Laurie

LaurieJC, Sep 4, 2015
  10. disconnect from internet
    can you go to settings then accounts
    then from the left choose add family member
    then choose add other account
    this will add a local user
    then click the name of the local user just created and change its privledges from standard to administrator
    then right click start button chose logout
    then choose the local user just added
    it will go thru a process similar to out of box experience
    then open settings then accounts switch to Microsoft account
    if it works good if not then its a deeper issue

icpwolverine, Sep 4, 2015
  11. LaurieJC Win User
    Nope. That doesn't work - disconnect from internet. Can not add a user or delete at user. When Add a Family Member is selected, GRAY BOX appears than goes away. Windows did an update yesterday, and now my start menu won't open, most of my programs, I cannot open because a box pops up and says it "locked". This includes my Photoshop, Lightroom, even iTunes. I did a restore from two nights ago, but that didn't fix the problem. The only way I can get to the Control Panel is to go into the File Manager, Windows folder, System 32 and find control.exe.

I'm screwed. This Windows 10 update has basically left my computer unusable except the the internet. What a disaster.

I've been scouring the internet for days on this and no one seems to have a fix for this. I have decided that there is nothing left to do but a clean install. My only problem is that I don't have all the software discs with me, they are in storage and I cannot get them. I'm getting a larger hard drive tomorrow, and I hope Win10 will active on the new drive okay.

LaurieJC, Sep 7, 2015
  12. If you havent done so go to windows.com and download the Microsoft media creator and either put in on a usb flash drive or burn the ISO to a DVD. Keep in mind to download the version from that site that corresponds to the version already installed. Then do an I place upgrade. Not a reset or restore

icpwolverine, Sep 8, 2015
  13. LaurieJC Win User

Thanks. I already downloaded the file yesterday. From what I understand, I should take the extra step and clone my old hard drive to the new one (I just got the cable for that), as a precaution, so Win10 will be activated on the new one. Then use the media creator the to a clean install. Hopefully all goes well.

LaurieJC, Sep 8, 2015
  14. As long as windows is already activated from the upgrade process and as long as you downloaded the same version as what's activated you can clean install to any hard drive. Just when it asks for a product key select skip

icpwolverine, Sep 8, 2015
  15. BillP Win User
    I have experienced the same gray box after upgrading from Window 7. I did not login with a Microsoft account and blame that on the failure to have Cortana work as well as signing into the store

BillP, Sep 10, 2015
Thema:

1. A grey box appears then disappears when signing into microsoft account - Similar Threads - grey box appears

2. When I try to sign into my Microsoft account in my settings. A grey box appears for a...

in Windows 10 Customization
    When I try to sign into my Microsoft account in my settings. A grey box appears for a...: In Microsoft settings.Grey BoxWon't allow me to sign inPops up then disappears https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-try-to-sign-into-my-microsoft-account-in-my/d671ab33-be6d-4383-a2bd-ad87d5af3f0f
  3. When I try to sign into my Microsoft account in my settings. A grey box appears for a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I try to sign into my Microsoft account in my settings. A grey box appears for a...: In Microsoft settings.Grey BoxWon't allow me to sign inPops up then disappears https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-try-to-sign-into-my-microsoft-account-in-my/d671ab33-be6d-4383-a2bd-ad87d5af3f0f
  4. When I try to sign into my Microsoft account in my settings. A grey box appears for a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. A grey box appears then disappears when signing into microsoft account. Cant log anymore...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A grey box appears then disappears when signing into microsoft account. Cant log anymore...: A grey box appears then disappears when signing into microsoft account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-grey-box-appears-then-disappears-when-signing/31cafa2e-4c12-4eb0-b5c6-120aca5e9944
  6. A grey box appears then disappears when signing into microsoft account. Cant log anymore...

A grey box appears then disappears when signing into microsoft account. Cant log anymore...: A grey box appears then disappears when signing into microsoft account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-grey-box-appears-then-disappears-when-signing/31cafa2e-4c12-4eb0-b5c6-120aca5e9944
  7. A grey box appears and then disappears

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    A grey box appears and then disappears: For a couple of days I am getting this but...here how it goes....Whenever I try to sign in anywhere outside of the Microsoft store, I get grey box which disappears very quickly.Whenever I try to login in XBOX, MINECRAFT, XBOX CONSOLE COMPANION it just shows a grey box which...
  8. A grey box appears and then disappears

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A grey box appears and then disappears: For a couple of days I am getting this but...here how it goes....Whenever I try to sign in anywhere outside of the Microsoft store, I get grey box which disappears very quickly.Whenever I try to login in XBOX, MINECRAFT, XBOX CONSOLE COMPANION it just shows a grey box which...
  9. A grey box appears and then disappears

10. Grey Box appears when typing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Grey Box appears when typing: I get this grey box that pops up whenever I am typing on chrome, word, etc. It seems to be an autosuggest since if I hover over the box, it is selectable and if I click a word gets typed. Any ideas what is wrong or how I can fix it? [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...