Windows 10: A newbie question on Windows To Go

Discus and support A newbie question on Windows To Go in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I used a 128GB SSD and attached it to the eSata port. Works like a charm. USB3 ports are nearly as fast. Sounds like a good rainy project for me. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by davidhk, Feb 10, 2016.

1. A newbie question on Windows To Go

Sounds like a good rainy project for me.

DeaconFrost, Feb 10, 2016
  2. Kyhi Win User
  3. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, Feb 10, 2016
  4. mike s Win User

A newbie question on Windows To Go

Has anyone figured out a way to update an unofficial WinToGo USB drive to the latest rev?

Windows updates worked fine for me until TH2 which, as we know, required a complete in-place reinstall.

All means of forcing it on a WinToGO drive failed for me with some variant of "You Can't Install Windows to a USB Flash Drive Using Setup". That includes changing the PortableOS registry key to "no".

What would happen if you used DISM to apply a newer install.wim to an older USB installation? Would it work? If it did, would the existing content (instlaled applications, etc) be lost?

mike s, Feb 10, 2016
  5. Kyhi Win User
    You would have to Apply the New Install.wim to update...

Applying a new wim will overwrite existing OS files and leave those file not present in Install.wim alone..

But how this will effect your current OS (user profile, programs) is a no good test option..

As the OS will think it is Newly installed - and the programs, user profile and user files are old...
    So most likely will not integrate into the new OS

6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Can't get it to work (latest rev) -- I think until there's a brand new ISO available it won't work. TH2 only installs in place which kills it.

With an external SSD though I've found the best way to have a portable Windows system is simply to install any distro of Linux that supports Virtual Machines and then create a bog standard Windows VM to run on it Both VBOX and VMWARE run easily enough on pretty well all sensible Linux distros.

Booting from an SSD connected to a USB3 Port via SATA--USB3 connector port only takes a few seconds and starting the Windows VM is fine --speed really isn't an issue when running of USB3 and an SSD - the Linux host has minimal overhead so the Windows VM is fine.

Even using a USB2 port the speed can be perfectly acceptable -- I often use this now for different Office Languages as I do work all over the place from time to time in various different countries and English isn't always available --at least not without a lot of hassle. !!!

An advantage also of this method is that as you are using a VM the "Virtual Hardware" doesn't change so activation when used on different devices isn't normally the issue as would be the case with the Standard Windows to Go. IMO seems a bit pointless having a "Portable system" but then needs reactivation every time you use it "out in the field" - or at different clients sites where the tool would be really useful !!!

On to a slightly different topic concerning booting from a VHD -- I'd like to try a W12 server on a similar NAS box to mine - mine has -- currently 4 data HDD's and the system booted up from the micro sd card and SSD using CENTOS.

I've fitted an SSD over where a DVD would go but using AHCI only boot from an Internal (USB2) slot, a micro sd card or HDD1/2 is possible. I could plug the SSD into the internal USB slot but it's a waste of the SATA speed of the SSD.

Currently the CENTOS system can BOOT from the micro SD card which then loads the OS from the SSD and runs fine.

I need to create a similar installation for a colleague -- but it must use Windows 10 or preferably W2012 server. (W2016 server too new and all sorts of changes in licensing too).

Is there any mechanism that would allow the micro SD card to boot and load a Windows VHD on to the SSD and then Windows would be running on the SSD as a normal Windows system.

Screen shot shows what I want to do

A newbie question on Windows To Go [​IMG]

/dev/sde is a 32 GB micro sd card on the mobo (removable card) which is the boot device (only 400MB used for boot and OS loader)

/dev/sdf is the SSD where I would want my Windows OS

the other device is the storage pool of the 4HDD's - 14 TB for the NAS. I don't want any OS on those -- pure data / storage volumes.

Any ideas from you Windows Gurus on making this work. It's the stupid hardware that will only allow you to boot from the CD port if you pull out all 4 HDD's (then they aren't hot swap either so you can't access after boot !!!) if you don't enable the poor RAID (software) system. I'm using the AHCI hardware sata controller.

The Microserver is a great piece of kit --stores neatly under the TV Hidden and out of the way -- if I need to access the OS now I do it via RDP from a laptop or mobile phone --works fine --just annoys me that you have to try all sorts of dodges to use an SSD --afte all who needs a DVD device on a SERVER !!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 11, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    This is by far the easiest way of doing it.

Only problem with using a flash drive is that you can only do a legacy bios install (as you can only put on partition on flash drive) unless using the special windows to go certified usb flash drives.

This is a god way of installing an Insider version. With a decent flash drive eg san cruzer extreme, it is fast enough for use albeit a, bit slow to start up.

cereberus, Feb 11, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

I don't think you've tested this on TH2 - latest release of W10 (Fast ring) -- that system only updates IN PLACE so there's no ISO image to build the system from. !! No prob with current (non insider preview) releases.

The other drawback is that you might be in some location where you can't enable legacy boot -- for example on some corporate computers. To make the thing as flexible as possible it should on boot prompt for UEFI or MBR (or simply choose automatically).

Note also you DON'T need to use certified devices to make a Windows to Go system -- you can do it manually -- you only need the Certified devices if using the Windows to Go applet in the control panel (Windows Enterprise versions).

SSD's even connected to USB2 ports are quite decent assuming your hardware isn't really old / slow / lack of RAM.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 11, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    Builds are the whole numbers. 10240, 10596, 11592 etc.

10586.0 compared to 10586.123 isn't a new build or release - it just means you've installed some cumulative fix patch.

The IN PLACE as you put it upgrades are still upgrades. The whole new OS is downloaded and applied as an upgrade. You can convert the .esd to an ISO if you want but they absolutely are upgrades. That is why you download ~3GB not ~3MB.

When you get a new build you need to upgrade whether on insider program or not. You can not do this on Windows to go. The only thing you can do is re-install. You could use dism to overwrite Windows directory but as previously mentioned it will make you run through OOBE and all your programs and users will be lost.

Your old user directories will still exist but you'd have to make a new user and copy the data back as you haven't upgraded - you have clean installed but left a bit of old stuff hanging around.

10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I'm sure we all know what an UPGRADE is

All I want to know has anybody actually TESTED THIS and GOT IT WORKING on the latest Insider release
    People give all sorts of reasons as to what to do etc -- perhaps people ought to READ the posts before replying -- DOES IT WORK (I.E have you tested it or seen someone else's working installation).

Reminds me of the old Greek (classical days) ways of doing things -- for example Philospher Aristotle etc -- if you wanted to know how many teeth a Horse had he'd get groups of people having endless discussion about the size / weight / nr of tail wags etc about a horse and then deduce the number of teeth --- Nobody would actually open the poor creature's mouth and COUNT THEM. !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 11, 2016
  11. Kyhi Win User
    Uefi booting requires a system partition....

Certified USB drives are not flagged as removable media, and allow partitions...
    Standard USB drives are flagged as removable media, and do not allow partitions...

You can create an ISO of any version of windows,, Old or New...

Other then corporate not allowing Legacy Boot Support
    there is no reason for UEFI bootable OS on USB stick...

12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

As above - HAS ANYBODY ACTUALLY DONE IT YET ON INSIDER BUILD LATEST RELEASE.
    Most of us know about ESD-->ISO etc etc - but in this instance the boot mechanism DOES NOT WORK (at least on my system -- W10 PRO X-64 insider build).

Not wanting to get mad with people or throw insults around - I've merely asked a SIMPLE QUESTION - nobody has given an answer to yet.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 11, 2016
  13. Kyhi Win User

Find or link me to the Products.xml for the newest insider release

14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Join insider program and you'll get it as an update - there isn't a specific "Product" to directly download from Ms.

W10 to Go was fine until this latest release. Note it still works on Non insider releases - i.e "Normal" W10 installations.

You can even do it as a VM if you don't want to destroy an existing W10 install or if you don't have a spare machine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 11, 2016
  15. Kyhi Win User
    Then create your own - Install.wim..

By capturing your Current Installation...

Thema:

1. A newbie question on Windows To Go - Similar Threads - newbie question

2. Question for an OS newbie regarding windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question for an OS newbie regarding windows 10: I might need to swap out a hard drive that could possibly be failing. I've noticed a very faint ringing noise that can sometimes be heard when my laptops idle. It may just be something I never noticed but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I recently upgraded to 10 only a few...
  3. Newbie buying Dell desktop some basic questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Newbie buying Dell desktop some basic questions: I am an 88 year old Win 7 Pro desktop user. Now purchasing a Dell Model i3670-5575BLK-PUS (9th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-9400 Processor 2.9GHz). Questions: 1.Wondering if there is a newbie instruction guide for those of us moving from a Win7 pc to Win 10 Home pc. If so can someone...
  4. newbie question

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    newbie question: If I set up a Windows 10 VM on a Windows 10 Pro system and install Windows 7 Pro on the VM (need to run legacy programs like CorelDraw X4, WordPerfect X4, etc.) , and then network that system to another Windows 10 Pro system, will I have problems with any of the following:...
  5. newbie questions from non-newbie about update to 1909 and unattended

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    newbie questions from non-newbie about update to 1909 and unattended: So I'm not exactly a newbie, but recently I have been very, very pressed for time,*Shock so I can't do my usual "try it and see what works." But I know that the longer I put off all these updates, the more problems I will have, and I want to get these updates done and behind...
  6. Newbie question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Newbie question: Actually I am not entirely new to backups but I have always had this mind block about backing up I have several back up programs--GFI and AOMEI. And a I had a backup scheme set up under Win 7. But having upgraded to Win 10 I need to revise and perhaps create a whole new...
  7. Win 7 to Win 10 Newbie Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 7 to Win 10 Newbie Questions: Hi All. I’m new here, but have received a lot of help over in the Windows SevenForums side of things. I’m also totally new to Win 10 other than hearing a ton of horror stories about it. So, with the end-of-life for Win 7 coming soon, I have to pull my head out of the sand and...
  8. Sandboxing Newbies Questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sandboxing Newbies Questions: Hi I have been searching the web trying to learn what I can about sandboxing. However, I am finding it all a bit confusing since there does not appear to be anyone who has put up any guidnce for beginners in sandboxing. Yes, I've learnt what sandboxing is and what it...
  9. Simple Newbie Question About "Photoshopping"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Simple Newbie Question About "Photoshopping": I don't have photoshop, only MS Paint on my Windows 10 computer. I never photoshopped anything and have absolutely no experience in these type of things. I simply want to take two separate pictures of two of my dogs, and put one dog's head on the other dog's body. I want...
  10. Newbie question - Lumia Windows 10 mobile

in Windows 10 Support
    Newbie question - Lumia Windows 10 mobile: Maybe I`m not in the right place/forum, but I`m sure someone can help me. I`m a new user of W10phone (Lumia 650). It`s my first Windows phone, and for now it`s not bad for me. I have only two questions. - How can I play radio streams from file (folder on SD card)? - How...