Windows 10: A professional critique of Windows 10

Discus and support A professional critique of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This gentleman has been reviewing a multitude of Operating Systems for Years. Mr. Dedoimedo - His Email address is: www.dedoimedo.com. The article in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jack, Feb 5, 2015.

1. jack Win User

A professional critique of Windows 10

This gentleman has been reviewing a multitude of Operating Systems for Years.
    Mr. Dedoimedo - His Email address is: www.dedoimedo.com.
    The article in his column is called "Windows 10 preview build 9926 -
    awesome and horrible".

It might behoove the gentlemen at the Holy Grail to read this article.
    They might get a different perspective than what prevails at Microsoft.

:)

jack, Feb 5, 2015

2. N97 critiques

A) I'm finding the screens sensitivity to be perfect so far. I've never had to tell it twice to do the same thing. Both screen technologies have their advantages and disadvantages.

B) Not at all sluggish, it is very fast which is impressive for early firmware.

C) Not found it to be at all clunky and everything is where I expect it to be, but I am an experienced symbian user. The menus and homescreen contents can be customised to your tastes.

D) Thats a hard one to say as it all depends on how you use it.

E) For me the angle is ideal whether in the hand or on a table but it depends on how you use it.

psychomania---01, Feb 5, 2015
  3. Win 10 Critique

The Worst Version of Windows Ever Produced

Win 10 renders my computer useless.

It usurps all resources leaving nothing for the computer owner/user.

The Installer Module owns 100% of the disk resource, and frequently 90% of the CPU.

These are Task Manager statistics.

The upgrade-update service cannot be turned off. When the machine is booted Microsoft

takes over and I am defeated. I boot the machine because I have to work now.

Win 10 does not permit update scheduling, or update defeat. Win 10 has so many external

control links tunneled to Microsoft, I cannot use my computer. Win 10 will not share use.

I cannot answer an email. I cannot write an email. I cannot launch a browser. I cannot create

a new text document. Whose computer is this? Mine or Microsoft's?

Working in Linux at present.

Windows orphans third party software applications after the FREE upgrade.

Nothing is free, the upgrade costs the user dearly. The Win 8.1 Registry is invalidated.

All registered software is orphaned. I did not buy the computer to run an OS. I bought it to run engineering apps.

Solidworks will not run in Windows 10. The upgrade has defeated my intended use of the investment.

How do I go back to win 8.1? Further how do I get OS updates to the five other Win 8.1 machines I own

and get the Win 10 forced update out of the way? Since Win 10 has been updating, Win 8.1 machines

are not allowed to receive maintenance. What a mess! Win "worse than ever." The engineering software community is slowly

coding for Linux. If that will accelerate to major CAD/CAM apps, Microsoft and Windows will be history for

design and engineering. What a mess! It is hard to believe thousands of people are paid richly to develop these problems.

Ed

EdCiarniello, Feb 5, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Ah,, just one persons opinion and having a web site doesn't give anymore credibility to the author.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 5, 2015
  5. badrobot Win User
    Do you agree with the author jack? which part of the OS is giving you problems? There's always an easy fix for most of it. Just remember, whatever MS decided to do, it is beyond our control. There is really nothing more that we can do but whine and complain. But forums like this can help make things easier for us users. Let us know how we can help you adapt with Windows 10.

For a start, if you don't like Cortana, this tutorial can help you.

badrobot, Feb 5, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree, I for one would love to know what the OP thinks is so "horrible" about the new version of Windows. Just posting an article from a web site really doesn't give us any insight as to what the OP thinks about Win10TP overall, and keep in mind it's still a TP and far from the RTM.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 5, 2015
  7. davehc Win User
    He rates himself too highly. A few wrong facts there. Oerhaps he should have given it more than 9 seconds to work with it! Imo, He has overrated the problems with the search procedure. Type one letter and you sure do get a lot of returns - that makes sense to me. type two letters and you are getting closer. For example, in my search cc gets me Ccleaner, which is what I was seeking.

I am not having any of his problems with sharing, either.

" You can also tweak the folder options, to open a non-default location when Explorer is launched," Partly true. Depends on how you see a "non default". The choice is only two (defaults.

He has it wrong regarding the Classic shell, also. They have kept up to date and now have a Beta which runs perfectly in Windows 10. I have it installed and am testing it as I write.

But. I do agree that, with it's present progress, Windows 10 is not looking exciting enough to warrant recommending the uninformed should dip into their wallets and purchase it.

As BunnyJ says....

davehc, Feb 5, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

What a narcissistic a-hole. As if he's the only person in the world capable of giving an "honest" review. Despite the fact that it's filled with factual errors and opinions disguised as fact. He claims his review has no bias, yet it's absolutely clear what his bias is... he hates all things Metro, and wants to rid himself of them.

Just a few of his "honest" facts:

1: He claims you can't hit the windows key and start typing, which is clearly untrue.
    2: He is purporting that obvious bugs (network shares not working) is somehow what the final product will be like
    3: He goes on and on about the Classic Shell blacklisting, despite the fact that the same thing happened in previous builds, and the author of classic shell acknowledged that there were indeed compatibility issues, which he fixed in new versions of classic shell (which were not blacklisted).
    4: It's clear he's not actually *used* cortana, because none of his screen shots show the cortana search, they all show the non-cortana enabled search. Cortana seach says "Ask me anything" and all of his screenshots say "Search the Web and Windows" which is the default search. In fact, he goes out of his way to crop out the search box when he shows cortana screenshots (unless he has something typed in) Which for all we know are copied from somewhere else. So either he's never used it, or used it only enough to take two screenshots.

For someone who supposedly has so much experience reviewing OS's, he doesn't seem to understand that early beta releases have bugs, and that functionality that is present isn't always what will be in the final version, it may be transitional. A great example is how we had a totally different start menu in previous builds (which was new functionality), but was not the final version, nor is the version we have likely the final version.

This is why Microsoft didn't used to like giving people access to their early releases. It's all too easy for people to jump to conclusions about what the final will be, and start screaming to the world about how the sky is falling based on something that isn't even going to be in the final.

This guy needs to climb down off of his self-important high horse and get a smack from the clue-bat.

Mystere, Feb 5, 2015
  9. Wynona Win User
    Jack, I went to the site and immediately found several errors. It seems to me this reviewer hasn't exactly done his homework. One statement he made; ". . . couldn't find it in 9 seconds . . ." tells me volumes.

And here I was thinking that Microsoft just isn't quite through with the UI. *Huh

This reviewer is like the majority of consumers; if a lightweight version is included in Windows, it should work exactly like the full version of the program they're selling for a couple hundred bucks. It isn't going to happen, not now, and not ever, unless MS should decide to build an OS with full versions and charge accordingly.

That's not to say he's not tech savvy, but well, I've never heard of him. He makes some valid points and I'm in agreement on some of them; however, it seems his nitpickings are gleefully described.

I hate Cortana and I had the dickens of a time getting it disabled and I'm still not really happy with what's left. It doesn't make me happy to report that I hate it, though.

Whoops! Stick a fork in me; I'm done! Can you believe this!?

Wynona, Feb 5, 2015
  10. Wynona Win User
    Thank you sir! I'm gonna read it right now! StarFerret bit me because I let this thing on her computer! *Drink1

Wynona, Feb 5, 2015
  11. Wynona Win User
    Jack, go here and look at the reviews by Ed Bott: The Ed Bott Report | ZDNet

Note that his reviews are straight up, mince no words, point out flaws, give kudos; all in a truly professional manner. Just as we do, Ed Bott understands that Windows 10 is nowhere near what it will be at release time.

His credentials include:

Wynona, Feb 5, 2015
  12. davehc Win User
    " it's absolutely clear what his bias is... he hates all things Metro, and wants to rid himself of them"

Even worst, Mystere. If you browse you will find many entries for the guy, but hardly a one on Windows - all Linux.

davehc, Feb 5, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

Actually, the guy is very prolific.. Most of his articles are Linux, but he does have a number of Windows articles... And even some halfways reasonable ones. For instance, he has a very reasonable one on the whole keylogger fiasco. So the guy can be reasonable when his baises are not so front and center.. but wow... Even if we take this article as somewhat satirical or at least a caricature of himself... the fact he gets so much stuff wrong makes it hard not to dismiss it outright.

Mystere, Feb 5, 2015
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I for one don't think the article is too bad -- he pointed out the VERY 2 Things that almost made me abandon the release -- The hideous search facility (but I got that back by re-installing the previous build's start menu - build 9879) and the wretchedness of having for some things to use an Ms account -- and if you DO revert back to a local account after setting up an Ms accuont you have to use a different name --NO NO NO a ZILLION TIMES NO THANKS.

Otherwise the release so far is fine. I HATE the store with a passion - it's bad enough on Google or Apple - most of the apps are total CRAP. For windows I'm used to (and expect better) quality stuff.

If you can essentially AVOID using the store, avoid using an MS account and re-install the re-sizeable menu (from release 9879) I think release 9926 is fine. At least the article was a reasonably intelligent one unlike some of the so called "Journalistic Stuff" that appears these days.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2015
  15. Looey Win User
    Why are you so angry to start name calling?

Are you of the opinion everyone should use a Microsoft account? Is Microsoft going to make their account logon a prerequisite to run Windows 10 after it is fully developed? They could save a lot of people a lot of time by stating what they're going to do. Do you know what the finished product will require?

Looey, Feb 5, 2015
Thema:

1. A professional critique of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - professional critique

2. Idiots and IT and Technician Professional Wannabees

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Idiots and IT and Technician Professional Wannabees: I'm absolutley sick and tired of these idiots not looking up **** when something goes off wrong.For example I work for a Tech Company somewhere in Manhattan, I had this asshat who told me "Don't ask me stupid questions because I'm an IT Pro" and your concern is that why isn't...
  3. Idiots and IT and Technician Professional Wannabees

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Idiots and IT and Technician Professional Wannabees: I'm absolutley sick and tired of these idiots not looking up **** when something goes off wrong.For example I work for a Tech Company somewhere in Manhattan, I had this asshat who told me "Don't ask me stupid questions because I'm an IT Pro" and your concern is that why isn't...
  4. Windows 11 64 bits professional sleep mode and adjust brightness issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 64 bits professional sleep mode and adjust brightness issues: After last update on Windows 11 64 bits professional I can not put on sleep mode the laptop nor adjust brightness.I have tried shutting down and re start the laptop without sucess...
  5. Windows 11 64 bits professional sleep mode and adjust brightness issues

Windows 11 64 bits professional sleep mode and adjust brightness issues: After last update on Windows 11 64 bits professional I can not put on sleep mode the laptop nor adjust brightness.I have tried shutting down and re start the laptop without sucess...
  6. I reset windows 11 professional

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I reset windows 11 professional: I reset windows 11 pro on April 12 2024 it updated everything but missing apps as suggested. MSEDGE.EXE is not present I really need MSEDGE to work How can I get edge back please....
  7. I reset windows 11 professional

I reset windows 11 professional: I reset windows 11 pro on April 12 2024 it updated everything but missing apps as suggested. MSEDGE.EXE is not present I really need MSEDGE to work How can I get edge back please....
  8. What's the best professional text-to-speech software, and what's the best professional...

What's the best professional text-to-speech software, and what's the best professional...: I want to buy AI text-to-speech software that will read web pages to me and sound natural. What the best one? I also want to buy speech-to-text software so I can type with my voice. What the best one? Ideally it can learn names and new slang also. Currently use PC. Could...
  9. I have a new PC running Windows 11 Professional but the software I need to use won't...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a new PC running Windows 11 Professional but the software I need to use won't...: Hi I bought a new PC running Windows 11 Pro to replace a older one which the hard drive failed. The software I need to use doesn't operate correctly on Windows 11 but it worked perfectly well on Windows 10 Professional. How can I replace the Windows 11 with Windows 10.I have...
  10. I have a new PC running Windows 11 Professional but the software I need to use won't...

I have a new PC running Windows 11 Professional but the software I need to use won't...: Hi I bought a new PC running Windows 11 Pro to replace a older one which the hard drive failed. The software I need to use doesn't operate correctly on Windows 11 but it worked perfectly well on Windows 10 Professional. How can I replace the Windows 11 with Windows 10.I have...