Windows 10: A question about installing a new videocard.

Discus and support A question about installing a new videocard. in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi there, I ordered a geforce 1070 to replace my old 970, now I have a question. Do I install the software it came with first, then update the driver... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Scyris, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Scyris Win User

A question about installing a new videocard.

Hi there, I ordered a geforce 1070 to replace my old 970, now I have a question. Do I install the software it came with first, then update the driver with the nvidia one after? Of course i'll uninstall the 970's driver before I put the new card in. The card I am getting has a oc/boost function, so I am bascally asking if I need the Asus software for this function to work, which would mean I need to do what I mentioned above. Or, Can I just install the nvidia drivers and forget about the asus ones?

For reference this is the exact card I am getting: ASUS Dual OC GeForce GTX... DUAL-GTX1070-O8G from Mike's Computer Shop > PARTS & UPGRADES > Video Cards usually I just install the drivers off of nvidia.com but I wonder if it'd be better to put in the software it comes with first, then update the driver.

Any info would be great.
    Thanks all.

:)

Scyris, Oct 31, 2017
  2. wujingY Win User

A question about installing

Dear
    pdomino
    :

Thanks for your reply!But I am also confused about this solution.Should I uninstall
    Microsoft Visual 2005 C++ Redistributable at first?And then,you suggest me to reinstall
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86).Is it certain?

I am not proficiant in computer and software so that I have to get clear answer from you.

Thanks for your help,and I am looking forward to your reply.

From

wujingY, Oct 31, 2017
  3. pdomino Win User
    A question about installing

Uninstall c++ and reinstall.

C++ LINK

pdomino, Oct 31, 2017
  4. vgchat Win User

There's no need to Geforce, since they are both Nvidia GPU's. If Nvidia's GeForce is as good as AMD's Crimson, then there should be a place in GeForce to OC it.

As for installing drivers from third parties (such as Asus, Sapphire, XFX etc..), I do not do that, as they tend to offer Overclocking software or fan controlling software, that you can find in Nvidia or AMD drivers (Crimson or Geforce).

As for getting a boost, that's a standard feature of modern GPU's as well as CPU's that your GPU driver will handle.

vgchat, Oct 31, 2017
  5. Hi,
    Just uninstall the current driver then shutdown and replace the gpu.
    Don't bother with the cd asus issued it is an old driver and nothing but crapware on it.
    Windows will install a driver before you get to your desktop.
    Then just go to NVidia and download and install the current driver for the card.

ThrashZone, Oct 31, 2017
  6. Scyris Win User
    I assume I want that geforce experence software as well with the drivers? I usually never install it.

Scyris, Oct 31, 2017
  7. Hi,
    The new driver will have it from NVidia if you want GFE/......

ThrashZone, Oct 31, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

All the drivers you need will be available on NVidia's website, just select your model. Its always best to download the driver rather than use an included cd as mentioned above as they can often be rather old, specially if the product has been out for a while.

swarfega, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. A question about installing a new videocard. - Similar Threads - question installing videocard

2. Question about installed programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about installed programs: So, I installed Windows 11 and decided to under volt my gpu. I installed Aida64 extreme and i did not save a desktop shortcut because i do not like those. Restarted my pc and I tried to run my aida64 exe file.spent 10 min to search for a way to find my exe somewhere...
  3. Question about software installers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about software installers: Should all software installers be run with administrator privileges to avoid problems? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-software-installers/06cf3289-bdd0-44a3-b1ea-6caef224a313
  4. win10 family 64bits - Impossibility to install videocard driver and videocard model undetected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    win10 family 64bits - Impossibility to install videocard driver and videocard model undetected: HiI had a working machine 3 days back, but I had to format and reinstall windows alongside an other OS.It is not the first attempt and it always worked just fine in the past.For an unknow reason, my videocard model isn't detected by windows and I can't install the proprietary...
  5. win10 family 64bits - Impossibility to install videocard driver and videocard model undetected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win10 family 64bits - Impossibility to install videocard driver and videocard model undetected: HiI had a working machine 3 days back, but I had to format and reinstall windows alongside an other OS.It is not the first attempt and it always worked just fine in the past.For an unknow reason, my videocard model isn't detected by windows and I can't install the proprietary...
  6. Question about installing Windows 10 on new computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about installing Windows 10 on new computer: I'm building a new computer and I want the drive Windows is installed on the be K, and my external SSD to be H. Is this possible? Does Windows have to be C? Do I even need a C drive? Also, if I am able to do this, would the K drive on Windows explorer sidebar show up above...
  7. Question about new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about new SSD: Hi, I'll get straight to the point. I've been using my HDD for a long time now and I tried to update my windows and it just wont update. Not through the updater integrated in windows, the update asistant or even using the image tool ISO or direct Upgrade. It just keeps on...
  8. Question About Installing v1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question About Installing v1903: Hello, I just received the "featured update to Win 10, Version 1903" in my Windows Update with the option to download and install. I did not use the manual search for any updates as it was sent while my computer checked for updates while I was doing something else. My...
  9. New update - and new question about branch

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New update - and new question about branch: Greetings. Today my Win10 wanted to restart because of a new windows update, so I let it do that. Now I have a new setting (??) under advanced options in "Update & recovery". The last setting are like this: "Choose what branch you'd like to get new previews builds from."!...
  10. Question about install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about install: I have the Windows 10 ISO on DVD ready to clean install. I have never upgraded or did a clean install as of yet. I am now running Windows 7 SP1. I read that I can now use my Windows 7 key to clean install 10. But what I want to do is upgrade my PC first with a new motherboard...