Windows 10: A question about security

Discus and support A question about security in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So, first of all sorry for asking this question again but. Recently I upgraded to the Fall update for Windows 10, and ditched Avast as I feel it used... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BlueBaron, Nov 17, 2015.

1. BlueBaron Win User

A question about security

So, first of all sorry for asking this question again but. Recently I upgraded to the Fall update for Windows 10, and ditched Avast as I feel it used to be a great software but not anymore sadly.

So the main question is, if you guys could suggest a software that is good at protecting but also very light on system resources? I originally had the idea to purchase Malwarebytes Premium and use it alongside Windows Defender. Is Malwarebyte's Premium real-time scanner/engine deemed good enough? If not, then any other suggestion would be appreciated. And thank you all in advance! *Smile

PS: So, I decided to ask this question as all the other ones are toward which antivirus is better, but I rarely see any topics about which one is very light and better.

:)

BlueBaron, Nov 17, 2015
  2. FriskyFox Win User

question about Norton Security

I cant find the remover!!!

FriskyFox, Nov 17, 2015
  3. question about Norton Security

I just updated my pc from windows 7 too windows 10 should delete my Norton antivirus or is all ok some said windows ten had its own?

G. CoreyMcCormick, Nov 17, 2015
  4. A question about security

I'd like to Recommend Bit Defender Total Security (typically goes on Deep sale towards the end of the year). I use it on all my windows PCs (Love the 'nix) and It's seriously all I could ever need.

PROS:
    • Impressive set of technologies.
    • Built in tools to replace CCleaner
    • Autopilot mode (auto update, threat mitigation, etc.)
    • Cloud control panel to trigger scans and such
    • protects 3 PCs with one license.

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions!

heypaleblue, Nov 18, 2015
  5. Hi:

MBAM -- even the Premium version -- is not an anti-virus (AV) and is not a substitute for one.
    It is designed to run alongside a robust AV to provide layered, complementary protection against zero-hour and zero-day threats often missed by AVs.

If your system specs are sufficient to run Win10, they ought to be just fine for MBAM Premium + the AV of your choice (Windows Defender or other), along with other applications (such as an anti-exploit program) and counter-measures.

You might want to have a read of this for more info: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices

>Having said that, no one security program or combination can protect 100% of users 100% of the time against 100% of malware. The most important security component is the one between the chair and keyboard.*Wink

Cheers,

MM

MoxieMomma, Nov 18, 2015
  6. BlueBaron Win User
    I got informed about this earlier via the Malwarebytes forums. So, Malwarebytes and Windows Defender should be a great combination then? And yes, you have a good point there that we ourselves are the main security factor for our computers.

What about Avira? I heard that it is the best out there with little performance impact?

BlueBaron, Nov 18, 2015
  7. simrick Win User
    100% Agreed!

I have heard Avira is very good. I also use Avast on many systems, and put it on most of the systems I work on for others. Another combination I like which is light on resources is Defender + MBAM Pro.

I also install Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free and CryptoPrevent Free in addition to whatever AV goes on the system.

But, in the end, the user is always the weak link....*Smile

simrick, Nov 18, 2015
  8. A question about security

Hi:

Yes, regarding choice of AV, there is no "best" product that suits all computers, all users, and all budgets.
    If there were, there would be only 1 AV on the market.
    Each product has its fans and its detractors.
    The link I provided in my previous reply contains many authoritative discussions about security practices, including choosing an AV.

JMHO, the "Free" products are generally not as robust these days and nearly all now come with a "trade off" or two (popup ads, toolbars, limited features, limited support, etc.).
    This post explains in more detail.
    For me, the nominal cost of a paid AV works out to pennies a day per computer, costs less than a video game, and is much cheaper than the cost of trying to recover from a serious malware incident, data breach or other catastrophe.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Nov 19, 2015
  9. Windows Defender with Malwarebytes as a backup is as good as anything

garydexter, Nov 19, 2015
  10. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Windows Defender is the ONLY TRUE FREE AV. And it's lightweight too. I haven't had any issues with it so far but as others have told, use common sense and other layers of added security: MBAM, MBAE, etc...

Panda FREEAV is another lightweight AV. It will show some advertisements though every now and then.

I have heard AVAST is also lightweight but it may have become quite bloaty over time.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

A question about security

1. A question about security - Similar Threads - question security

2. Questions About the Upcoming April 9th Secure Boot Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions About the Upcoming April 9th Secure Boot Update: I only just learned that the next wave of mitigations for CVE-2023-24932 are coming out tomorrow/April 9th, and that this update will be applied automatically by Windows Updatewill this be its own update, or will it be included in the Cumulative Update for...
  3. Questions About the Upcoming April 9th Secure Boot Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questions About the Upcoming April 9th Secure Boot Update: I only just learned that the next wave of mitigations for CVE-2023-24932 are coming out tomorrow/April 9th, and that this update will be applied automatically by Windows Updatewill this be its own update, or will it be included in the Cumulative Update for...
  4. Questions About the Upcoming April 9th Secure Boot Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Security question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security question: Hello, would Windows defender work together with Malwarebytes free, or would Malwarebytes stop windows defender from operating as in the message: you are using other antivirus providers? I cannot turn real time protection on. I uninstalled Malwarebytes free, but the same...
  6. Security question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security question: Hello, I am running windows 10 and I noticed that in Virus and threat protection setting - real time protection is in off position and i cannot put it back into on position. Above it, it tells me that I am using other antivirus providers. When I click on Who is protecting me...
  7. Change system password - my security questions don't work but I logged in using fingerprint

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change system password - my security questions don't work but I logged in using fingerprint: Hi,I haven't used my laptop in a long time so I've forgotten my password. I tried resetting it but my answers to the security questions is incorrect. I managed to login via fingerprint and I have my MS acc setup but unable to reset my password.Is there anything I can do? Or...
  8. Change system password - my security questions don't work but I logged in using fingerprint

Change system password - my security questions don't work but I logged in using fingerprint: Hi,I haven't used my laptop in a long time so I've forgotten my password. I tried resetting it but my answers to the security questions is incorrect. I managed to login via fingerprint and I have my MS acc setup but unable to reset my password.Is there anything I can do? Or...
  9. Forgot password from my local win 10 account, do not remember security questions, do not...

Forgot password from my local win 10 account, do not remember security questions, do not...: As the title says, I forgot all these things. The thing I remember are 3 letters, but do no remember other 3 numbers. My password consists of three letters and three numbers. As for the security questions, I vaguely remember the answers, but I would be able to answer them...
  10. Forgot password from my local win 10 account, do not remember security questions, do not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Forgot password from my local win 10 account, do not remember security questions, do not...: As the title says, I forgot all these things. The thing I remember are 3 letters, but do no remember other 3 numbers. My password consists of three letters and three numbers. As for the security questions, I vaguely remember the answers, but I would be able to answer them...