Windows 10: A question about USB drives

Discus and support A question about USB drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey, Don't know if this a dumb question or not but I'm asking just because I'm curious. Deleted data still stays on a drive, right? At least until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BicycleRow, Mar 2, 2017.

1. A question about USB drives

Hey,

Don't know if this a dumb question or not but I'm asking just because I'm curious.
    Deleted data still stays on a drive, right? At least until it's overwritten by another thing? When I plug a flash drive or even a phone via USB in a PC and delete a file from there, is the left data on the flash drives or on the PC's HDD/SSD?

:)

BicycleRow, Mar 2, 2017

2. I have a question about a usb driver for the blood pressure meter from Medisana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused.

To make sure I understand correctly, does it have a program where you need to install in the computer first?

As this is a product related issue, I would suggest you to contact the manufacturer for assistance regarding this issue. They will be better suited to guide you with this.

If you have any Windows related queries in the future, let us know. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Mar 2, 2017
  3. Albertla Win User
    I have a question about a usb driver for the blood pressure meter from Medisana

In win 7 it all did work, now it installs the usb driver but the program thus not react on it. So I can't read the pressure out and put it in a graph, necessarily for the doctor.

I tried already win 7 compatibility but with no succes. Thus anybody knows a answer?

Albertla, Mar 2, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

A question about USB drives

But you can't usually see it. The way it has been done since back in DOS days is only the first character of the file name is deleted and the space that file occupied is marked as available when needed for other files which will then over-write the deleted file. Frequently a recovery program can get the deleted file back if the first letter of the file name is remembered by the user but it relies on that file not being over-written. Or in other words, if a file is accidentally deleted it's best to try to get it back right away, that's why the Recycle Bin is important but that doesn't always work with External drives.

Berton, Mar 2, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    Yes, when you delete files from any computer media, (ie) phone, flash drive, HDD etc Most people cannot access these files,they are not "seen" but The data is still accessible if you use the right kind of recovery software. Unless it has been overwritten or the drive has been Wiped.

spunk, Mar 2, 2017
  6. Yep the USB. Data Recovery as Fast as Possible has a good rundown of how this overwritten process works.

ellellell1, Mar 2, 2017
  7. it will be stays in the external devices, not the computer hard drive. If you delete a file from computer hard drive, you can find it in recycle, but if you delete a file from the external device, you cannot find it from recycle.

rickchristine, Mar 5, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

This is not true. When you delete a file from an External USB HDD or Flash Drive it goes to the Recycle Bin on your C: Drive accessible from the icon on the desktop. As long as you don't unplug the drive before you try to restore the files back to the external, it will be accessible. If you unplug the External or restart your computer, the file will not be accessible to restore, but will still be taking up space in the Recycle Bin. To clean out the Recycle Bin, you must run Disk Cleanup

spunk, Mar 5, 2017
  9. Hi spunk,

You can try it again. I used a USB 2.0 Drive and USB 3.0 Drive to try, I can find no files in the desktop recycle. For internal HDD, delete the files is the computer makes a delete mark, it will store the file to recycle, because the HDD is internal device, but for USB Drive, an external device, delete the file means clean the file, the computer will not make a delete mark.

rickchristine, Mar 6, 2017
  10. Phone Man Win User
    My external 3.0 drive has it's on Recycle folder as does all my internal drives.
    All of these will show in the Desktop recycle bin.
    If I remove the external drive it still has the file but it no longer shows in the Desktop recycle bin.
    When I plug the drive back it the deleted file will reappear in the Desktop recycle bin.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. A question about USB drives - Similar Threads - question USB drives

2. USB Drive Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Drive Question: Can anyone give me advice on how do I stop my USB drive to not keep flashing constantly? My 4GB pen drive is not staying stable. I need some help on it. I tried running some command prompts, tried deleting the driver, and restarting the computer, tried plugging and unplugging...
  3. Question about Windows Indexing USB Drives

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Question about Windows Indexing USB Drives: Windows Indexing of external discs. If such discs are being powered off and maybe powered on again a couple of days, or even a week later, does Windows' index 'remember' what is stored where on these drives? Or will Windows start indexing them from scratch? One might argue...
  4. A question about a recovery usb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A question about a recovery usb drive: Hi, so I am posting this because my computer isn't too new but it is still running 10 smoothly. But since it isnt too new now, it may stop responding, lag, not boot properly, give errors, etc . There are some trojans that overwrite your MBR like it happened in 2016. I may...
  5. Question about USB Security Key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Question about USB Security Key: Hi, I got a question about the USB Security Key feature. I'm planning to use a USB Security Key to login and logout of my PC. The question is, I have to plug the USB Security Key if I want to log in, what would happen if I plugged it out while still using the PC. Will I...
  6. Question about cloning a drive

Question about cloning a drive: Hi, I am wanting to do a fresh install of Windows 10 pro, i have a ton of Music related applications that i would rather not go through the process of reinstalling and activating etc etc Could i clone my C drive (that's my OS drive) and then do a fresh install of Windows 10...
  7. Question about USB installation drive

Question about USB installation drive: Hi, could Windows have problems if it was installed with a USB bootable drive that was prepared from an external HDD? Let me explain: since I didn't want to uselessly load the PC on which I prepared the installation USB drive I sent it at download to an external HDD. Now, I...
  8. Questions about TRIM for drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Questions about TRIM for drive: Hiya. So I have perhaps an unusual situation. My computer has C: and D: drive. The D: drive is an exact backup clone of C: drive for instant recovery purposes (All my computers have been set up this way for over 15 years). I'm using Macrium Reflect that updates the clone by...
  9. Question about Recovery Drive

Question about Recovery Drive: I have a primary drive which is 500 GB - I would like to split it so that I can use half for OS and half for data. I made a recovery USB (before I split the drive) and I would like to know that if I restore whether the disk partition will go back to how it was when the...
  10. question about using a boot usb

question about using a boot usb: Hi, I recently did a windows update and now the pc wont boot up but just goes into the repair mode. I have tried all options to no avail. I have made a boot usb as I hoped to be able to just boot into windows with that. There seems to be only 2 options . Repair ( which just...