Windows 10: A Stupid Question About Windows 10 Product Keys

Discus and support A Stupid Question About Windows 10 Product Keys in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello All, So I am happily running Windows 10 build 10240, and I' m loving it. There is so much talk here at The Windows Ten Forum regarding exactly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Rocky, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Rocky Win User

A Stupid Question About Windows 10 Product Keys

Hello All,
    So I am happily running Windows 10 build 10240, and I' m loving it. There is so much talk here at The Windows Ten Forum regarding exactly what will happen on July 29th, and how each person is going to receive and activate their public release version of Windows 10, that I decided to use a program called Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder to find out exactly what is the product key of my Windows 10. I found out that the product key that is shown is vastly different than any in this list:
    Download Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO File - Windows 10 Forums

or this list;

How to activate the latest Windows 10 build - Microsoft Community

Also, the key is different than the product key of my original Windows 8 (and 8.1) OS that I have installed on my machine. It is important to note that I do not run Windows 10 in a virtual machine, it is primary OS. Also, I did not do a clean install of Windows 10, I went the upgrade route over my Windows 8.1. So what gives? Where did this new and different product key come from?

:)

Rocky, Jul 16, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jul 16, 2015
  3. I have a question about product keys and how they are used

If it is an unused (ever) windows 7 OEM product key, you can use that unused product key to install cleanly and activate a free copy of Windows 10 on any computer you wish - but that license is now USED permanently on that specific computer and the Windows
    10 license inherits the non-transfer limitation.

Shenan Stanley, Jul 16, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

I don't know.

I'd bet, however, that you could not use that key to clean install 10240 from an .iso. If you learn otherwise, please let us know.

bobkn, Jul 16, 2015
  5. Rocky Win User
    Thanks. I am going to do some more research into this enigma.

Rocky, Jul 16, 2015
  6. Rocky Win User
    Has anybody else investigated their product key? I am curious to find out if everybody is experiencing the same thing as I am.

Rocky, Jul 16, 2015
  7. NUS
    Nus Win User
    Build 10162

Did a clean install and skipped all the points where I was asked for a product key. Windows activated itself anyway, lol? So, I changed the product key to the officail one: 8N67H-M3CY9-QT7C4-2TR7M-TXYCV.

Just had a look in the registry (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId) and I too have a completely different product key.

8. Ztruker Win User

I upgraded my VM from 10166 to 10240, key is as expected: Windows 10 Build 10240 for PC is now available

Windows 10 Pro build 10240 - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Same key on my Toshiba laptop that was upgraded from 10166 to 10240.

Ztruker, Jul 16, 2015
  9. Bumpkin Win User
    Today I upgraded a W7 machine using that key.

It installed without hitch but would not activate. There was a message to use the key that is printed on the box the DVD came in.

Maybe I should try a clean install?

Bumpkin, Jul 16, 2015
  10. NUS
    Nus Win User
    It seems like that key is for 32bit OS, and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId4 is for 64bit OS. I'm running 64bit; regardless, the key under that location is different as well.

OP, is the Jelly Bean software you used checking for 32bit or 64 bit keys?

Anyway, I assume Microsoft is just assigning unique keys to the preview builds during activation or something similar.

11. linw Win User
    I also have had all sorts of keys that I didn't recognize! I am just quietly confidant that MS will sort out my system, updated from 8.1, come 29 Jul.

Try Showkey as I think that is better at finding keys.

12. Rocky Win User
    Thanks to everybody that posted to help me sort this riddle out. Mine is 64 bit and I will try Show Key, but as was pointed out upthread, I am sure that Microsoft knows what it is doing.

Rocky, Jul 16, 2015
  13. A Stupid Question About Windows 10 Product Keys

I've been using showkey to keep track of what's going on, https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html. It gives lots of info on embedded OEM key if there is one, key used to install and current key in use. I did an upgrade to 10074 from Windows 7 via the Insiders page. I got a new key that wasn't listed by Microsoft for that build. That key stayed the same through a couple of upgrades to new builds via Windows update. It changed again at 10130 I think. Then again with 10158, or 10159 or 10162. I didn't check it again until 10162 so I'm not sure what build changed it.. Then again with 10240.

alphanumeric, Jul 16, 2015
  14. Rocky Win User
    I used Showkey and it did show the new product key but was "unable" to detect the OEM key. That is very strange because about 10 days ago I used my original installation disc to re-mount my Windows 8.1 OS into my system, and build 10240 is the first preview build over that OEM install.

Rocky, Jul 16, 2015
  15. Some of the early build ISO files had a PID.txt file in them that had a Pro key. The same key Microsoft listed for that build. If you clean installed from the ISO, the key in the PID.txt file was automatically used. A keyfinder would show the key matching what Microsoft said it should be. Latter on Microsoft removed the PID.txt file. This lets you install Home or Pro depending on what key you enter on a clean install. Upgrades work different, even if there is a PID.txt file so keys will be different. What version gets installed from the Insiders page depends on what version of Windows you upgrade from. An upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate got me Windows 10 Pro. An upgrade from Windows 8.1 (Core) got me 10 Home. I haven't done an upgrade from an ISO so I don't know how that works, you might get Pro regardless of what version your upgrading from. That's the way upgrade media worked in the past. it was an upgrade to a fixed version.

My Windows 8.1 MSDN ISO's will install Core or Pro depending on what product key is detected or entered. They will accept 8.0 keys and 8.1 keys even OEM embedded keys. My laptop came with windows 8.0 Core. I get 8.1 Core when I install with my MSDN 8.1 ISO. I don't get prompted to enter a key and it activates online automatically. If I want to skip Core and install Pro I add a PID.txt file with my Pro MSDN key in it. It saves me from having to upgrade to pro via add features. A big time saver. showkey will show my Windows 8.0 Core "OEM key", my Windows 8.1 Pro "Original key", and my Media Center "Installed key". Which key is Microsoft going to use for my free upgrade? Logic would say it will be the 8.1 Pro key so I get 10 Pro. 8.1 Pro is what is installed and running. Media center doesn't factor into it as its lost in the upgrade.

alphanumeric, Jul 16, 2015
Thema:

1. A Stupid Question About Windows 10 Product Keys - Similar Threads - Stupid Question Product

2. A Question about OEM Product Keys.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A Question about OEM Product Keys.: Hello guys,I know that this might be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.I am wondering about OEM Keys, hence the title of this thread. I am considering switching to blendOS, or Ubuntu. Linux Distros because I have fricked up my Windows 10 installation in...
  3. A Question about OEM Product Keys.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A Question about OEM Product Keys.: Hello guys,I know that this might be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.I am wondering about OEM Keys, hence the title of this thread. I am considering switching to blendOS, or Ubuntu. Linux Distros because I have fricked up my Windows 10 installation in...
  4. A Question about OEM Product Keys.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Questions About the Windows 11 Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questions About the Windows 11 Product Key: I am building a new PC and I want to install windows 11 on it. On Microsoft's website, I can download Windows 11 for free, or I could pay for a USB one, or I can pay for the Windows 11 Home downloaded. If I download Windows 11 for free, how can I get a product key for the...
  6. Questions About the Windows 11 Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questions About the Windows 11 Product Key: I am building a new PC and I want to install windows 11 on it. On Microsoft's website, I can download Windows 11 for free, or I could pay for a USB one, or I can pay for the Windows 11 Home downloaded. If I download Windows 11 for free, how can I get a product key for the...
  7. Question about Windows 10 Product Key on old PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Windows 10 Product Key on old PC: I just recently built a new computer and used my Windows 10 Product Key from my previous computer when installing Windows 10 on to my new PC. I've already did a factory reset on my previous PC and I plan to sell it. So what happens with my old PC when it's booted up? Will it...
  8. Question about a product key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about a product key: So this random guy that I have never met before but have spoken to a small handful of times randomly gave me a Windows 10 Pro key as well as Enterprise for as he put it, an early Christmas present . The guy says he works with computers and stuff and cited this as to how he...
  9. Question about Windows 10 Product key online recovery

Question about Windows 10 Product key online recovery: Hello, a few months ago while I was searching Microsoft Help I saw a suggestion to store my Windows 10 product key online. I was asked to make an account in Microsoft for that purpose and so I did. My thought was that if I came across any problem running windows in my pc...
  10. about windows 10 product key

about windows 10 product key: my old pc have genuine windows 10 pro, i want to get that windows 10 for my new pc. what can i do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-windows-10-product-key/f76fcf95-d3fc-41c3-a2ed-2641d24a4b6b"