Windows 10: A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

Discus and support A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Truth of the matter is: most power users love the ability to manipulate Windows, especially when there's change in the air. Secondly, we all love... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Feb 26, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

I agree, some people just mess with Windows without knowing what they heck they're doing, break it and end up coming here blaming MS for what they did.

Keep in mind:

A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... [​IMG]

BunnyJ, Feb 28, 2015

2. Perhaps MS should include a random GUI shuffler tool + random keyword generator for the search tool.

No control/feature/tool is in the same place twice.

lehnerus2000, Feb 28, 2015
  3. BunnyJ New Member
    That would be a good challenge for someone to code up. And no.. I don't want to try that one.

BunnyJ, Feb 28, 2015
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

*Ditto

5. I've been a fan of the "Classic Shell" since I first found it back in the Windows 8 days. With all the hype about Start8, I tried it and promptly got rid of it. There were almost NO options for customization. I found it was what it was and that was all it was!
    There are over 50 options in the "Classic Shell" and I like Options! Of course, with Windows 10, we have to use the new and improved Classic Shell, ver. 4.2.x but that's OK. It was updated just for Windows 10.
    That means that the writers are keeping up with the times and not just resting on their laurels.

Oh yes, I looked at and even tried to work with the new Start Menu in W-10 and found it seriously wanting.
    Like, "How do you shut this thing down?". If there is a Shutdown button, I didn't find it, so I installed my own to my Desktop. I've been using a shortcut to "Shutdown" since Windows 98 and still do.
    When I'm done working in Windows, I want my PC shut down as quickly as possible. With my Quick Shutdown shortcut, I get my PC shutting off in about five seconds.
    Here's that shortcut, for those who are of a like mind.
    %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

Cheers Mates and Happy March Madness!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Feb 28, 2015
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    @BimmyJ so true. . .it always makes me laugh when these same folks bitch about bloat then add tons of third party software to so called improve their computer experience. . .*Huh

7. Winuser Win User
    So far I'm happy enough with the start menu in 10 that I see no reason to use a 3rd party start program. I would like a few more customizing options. If MS makes any changes to the start menu that I don't like I'll probably install Classic Shell like I did in 8.

Winuser, Feb 28, 2015
  8. strollin Win User

Haven't used the Start Menu since Win 2000. Didn't miss it in Win 8. Probably won't use it in Win 10 and definitely don't need a 3rd party app.

I guess you didn't look very hard since the Shutdown/Restart button is at the very top of the Start Menu in Win 10!

strollin, Feb 28, 2015
  9. Actually, it DOES make sense to have third-party apps because they offer a "choice" other than the default one provided by MS.

So, OK, you like the MS default -- but not everyone else does. Some of us want other choices.

If Start10 and ClassicShell do not "make sense" (because MS already provides their own start menu), then neither do the alternative Browsers -- such as FireFox, WaterFox, Chrome, Chromium, Opera -- to name a few.

Mark Phelps, Feb 28, 2015
  10. groze Win User
    *Thumbs I agree. On at least unembedded device Microsoft will have to allow third party application in U.S. Canada and Europe or face another round of possible government lawsuit and maybe some private ones. Unless they are trying to use windows as a service to get around that-that just an opinion I could be wrong.

groze, Feb 28, 2015
  11. windunce Win User
    Since the introduction of Quick Launch with Win98 I've had
    pratically no use for any incarnation of a Start Menu.

I appreciate and DO use the right click feature in Win 10,
    but here I am, 17 years down the road and Quick Launch is
    still my "go to" Start Menu.

Single click to open programs? Check
    Single click to open files? Check
    Single click to open esoterica? Check

What more do I need?

Yer old stick in the mud

A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... [​IMG]

windunce, Feb 28, 2015
  12. Having a third party Start menu is just stilly considering how Windows 10 simply isn't complete. The Spartan browser isn't even in the current builds, the Start Screen doesn't function perfectly, yet let's make a Start menu utility because obviously nothing is going to be improved from Preview to RTM!

Really?

Coke Robot, Mar 1, 2015
  13. Wenda Win User

I used Classic Shell on Win 8, but when 8.1 was released I instead decided to persevere using All Apps as my start menu. This worked well. I liked it, and got used to it.

But within a couple of days on Win 10, I had Classic Shell installed. Don't like the new Start menu at ALL, and can't set it to go to All Apps when I click Start, which is my preferred option.

Wenda, Mar 1, 2015
  14. Winkey+X is easier than right clicking the logo every time to access the other menus

But a simple text list shouldn't be all that difficult to obtain or getting rid of all of the alphabet listings either that alone has made a mockery of the start menu,
    The shear width of the entire start menu is really stupid it is the start page.
    Either one start10 or classic shell is a better option.
    Too bad Microsoft left it to a third party to do some thing seemingly simple.
    You can always access the inappropriate "New" start page by using the right side winkey in either *Tongue

ThrashZone, Mar 2, 2015
  15. LEE
    Lee Win User
    There was a day when I lived to make changes to the GUI on all Windows OSs. Now it really doesn't do anything for me, albeit I still believe that third party software is needed even if some folks cannot fine a use for it. Some people are just resistance to change while others live for it, hence the need for good third part GUI software. If you are one who doesn't like to change your GUI then just remember "Others are not like you.". . .*Smile

Thema:

1. A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... - Similar Threads - Third Party Start

2. Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?: Recently, I freed up my OneDrive local storage and after that all icons on my desktop and taskbar are changed to default program icon instead of their original icons. It hasn't affected the icons on the start menu shortcuts. All Microsoft app icons and some exceptions like...
  3. Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?: Recently, I freed up my OneDrive local storage and after that all icons on my desktop and taskbar are changed to default program icon instead of their original icons. It hasn't affected the icons on the start menu shortcuts. All Microsoft app icons and some exceptions like...
  4. How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software: I'm trying to figure out how can I change the start menu icon but so far, I couldn't find anything on the internet. All the answers include third-party software which are not ready for windows 11. Is there a way I can change the icon through system softwares? Like control...
  5. How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software: I'm trying to figure out how can I change the start menu icon but so far, I couldn't find anything on the internet. All the answers include third-party software which are not ready for windows 11. Is there a way I can change the icon through system softwares? Like control...
  6. Is there any third party application hub to organize applications since the start menu...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any third party application hub to organize applications since the start menu...: Looking for a single application I can use to access all of my applications easily since the start menu isn’t customizable enough for my liking (especially since there are some applications in folders I can’t get out since the start menu folder is no where on my HDD). A bit...
  7. Windows 10 third party program starting issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 third party program starting issues: Dear Folks, Sometimes when i am working on windows 10 OS i face issues that my third party app is not starting .Even system is not restart/shutdown from there. Kindly give the exact solution for the issue....
  8. Windows start menu and microsoft edge not working after installing third party application

in Cortana
    Windows start menu and microsoft edge not working after installing third party application: i installed a third party theme "flat_color_w10_iconpack_by_alexgal23-d98fnp4" on windows 10 pro after the restart my microsoft edge dissappeared when you try to click it it shows a message "class not registered", also the windows button and icon are no longer responding.I...
  9. Start menu - installed/third-party apps/programs not showing/opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu - installed/third-party apps/programs not showing/opening: Hi all, I installed the latest Creators Update, but apps/programs I installed (e.g. Chrome, Office, Netflix) have disappeared from the start menu. They will appear in the search in the start menu, but installed apps like Netflix will not open. I have already tried this:...
  10. Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On

in Windows 10 News
    Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On: Microsoft is bringing back the Start menu in Windows 10, and after the Windows 8 saga, when the majority of adopters looked for third-party alternatives to make the desktop look more familiar, some developers might be worried that nobody would ever use their apps again....