Windows 10: A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

Discus and support A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Having a third party Start menu is just stilly considering how Windows 10 simply isn't complete. The Spartan browser isn't even in the current builds,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Feb 26, 2015.

1. A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

There were basically no Start Screen improvements in W8 (DP through to RTM)
    Some improvements were made in W8.1 though.

lehnerus2000, Mar 2, 2015

2. I would have agreed if MS had left the Start Menu alone, but when they changed it (not "improved" it) to make it Metro, I didn't like the change and used the hack posted to return to the previous Start Menu style.

That said, the folks distributing start menu alternatives are basically following up on what they did for Win8.

What really "makes no sense" in my view is the stubborn position taken by MS. They already have the code for Start Menus because they deployed them in Win7. But instead of offering us a choice of menu styles (which Stardock does with Start8 and Start10), they insist on continuing to force their "Metro" on us all. As long as they continue to deny their customers choices, third-party providers will be more than willing to fill the gaps.

Mark Phelps, Mar 2, 2015
  3. It was even worse than that.
    The Start Menu code was in W8DP.

When MS dicovered that people were re-enabling the Start Menu, they removed the code from the subsequent versions.

I suspect that action was part of the reason that there was so much "push back" against W8.

lehnerus2000, Mar 3, 2015
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

Oh god their really forcing it on you. . .run for the hills here comes the big bad Microsoft Sea Team to force you to use something you don't want to use. How can they be so mean. . .oh that big Microsoft. . .

5. dmex Win User
    I distinctly remember during the Whistler XP beta the decision by Microsoft to give users choice and the outcry about the new start-menu:

A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... [​IMG]

At the time Microsoft was seriously against allowing users to have the option of "Classic Start menu" because the new one was <insert eyecandy here> better than the Classic menu... The case being made at the time for removing the option was something like "users will just disable the new menu and continue hating it forever... BUT if they just used it for awhile, they will really like it once they get used to it" but they were more afraid of the amount of negative feedback to completely remove the choice.

Some people like eyecandy and others like tried and true functionality, Windows 8 included a start-screen with less functionality just to improve eye-candy and was clearly disliked by the majority during the Windows 8 beta... At least this time there appears to be some built-in support for 3rd party start-menu applications and options to use a start-menu or start-screen *Smile

6. groze Win User
    People like the classic desktop. I like windows 98se desktop, I made windows 7 and my other operating system look real close to windows 98se. Not everyone likes change. We are not asking not to change but also keep an option for the windows classic destop. I see nothing wrong with that at all.

groze, Mar 3, 2015
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    I will toggle the 8.1 start page and the full Apps page. I hope they don't take that away.I never liked the old start menu nor do I like the new one - it's a bit better than the Win 7 menu and a lot better than the XP menu (what a disaster), but the start page combined with the Apps page is the ultimate.

But the one I really like is this one:

A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... [​IMG]

8. A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

But this isn't Windows 8.

Coke Robot, Mar 3, 2015
  9. You don't like them forcing their design language across Bing, Xbox, Windows Phones and PCs, and Outlook.com services? Because that's metro.

Start Screen design is something else.

Coke Robot, Mar 3, 2015
  10. My preference is more for taking the newer bits of Windows 10's Start Screen, put that in Windows 8.1 form. The whole side bar, kind of reminiscent of Windows 7 thing is just nonsense. I'll even take the extreme stance as an insult to my intelligence. /s

But no seriously, REALLY don't like that side bar that takes up a ton of space for nothing, REALLY despise the All Apps disaster, and REALLY not keen on the up and down scrolling of it now. If dissent thought Microsoft took Windows Phone and blew it up for Windows 8, they're wrong because at least it was made with a different usage scenario in mind. Windows 10 is literally just that, Windows Phone's Start Screen blown up bit for bit. Normally I would be ok with that, but a side to side scroll allowed more content to be easily viewed as it's similar to reading a book left to right. This, whatever this is, just isn't working.

Coke Robot, Mar 3, 2015
  11. Another thought that may repeat is people will not upgrade just like the failing 8-8.1,
    Three in a row subpar releases by Microsoft would be pretty eye opening to most companies
    Possibly by win-12 we will see Microsoft open it's eye's.

ThrashZone, Mar 3, 2015
  12. chrisa Win User
    You guys are missing the point. Unlike the Windows 8 Era, the point is that there will be a usable start menu and Microsoft is no longer throwing hurdles in the path of third-party vendors who make them. A usable base interface, but which can be customized and jazzed up by third-parties. You know... like Windows USED TO BE.. and heck.. MS-DOS before that and the bloody doskey, Norton Commander, and thousands of other stuff back when Shareware meant something more than we just shared our latest malware with you.

Put simply, having third-party options for customization and companies that support it is a great thing, having one set way and one mythical start menu that everyone loves, is not.

chrisa, Mar 3, 2015
  13. A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

There were basically no Start Screen improvements in W8 (DP through to RTM)
    Some improvements were made in W8.1 though. But this isn't Windows 8. You suggested that W10's Start Menu will get better because it isn't finished now.

Some people on this forum have posted that (in their opinion) it is getting worse.
    IMO, the W10 TP b9926 menu is not as good as the previous versions (b9841, b9860, b9879).

Empirical evidence (based on W8 previews and final release) suggests that in fact it might not get better.
    The W8 Start Screen did not get better until a year after it was released.
    W8.1 brought some improvements.

If the creators of 3rd party Start Menus think they can make money, by releasing one for W10, why shouldn't they?

lehnerus2000, Mar 3, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    We have to keep in mind that the source for the OP information is not a great one to start with and the question is just silly IMO. Yes,, we do need to have third party options for a start menu because we should have options. Is that unreasonable to have options?? In my mind it's not.. far from it. Again, the OP article is just stirring the pot for no reason.

BunnyJ, Mar 3, 2015
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Like all things - there's no harm if someone thinks there's a market out there then let them try and supply it.

For myself I won't b bothering with it. I hope though the menu at least goes back to the previous BUILD (9879). You can with Brink's tutorial change the default on build 9926 to the previous one.

If you don't like the tiles (Hybrid) you can simply UNPIN them.

I quite like this plain nice clean looking menu.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 3, 2015
Thema:

A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

1. A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... - Similar Threads - Third Party Start

2. Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?: Recently, I freed up my OneDrive local storage and after that all icons on my desktop and taskbar are changed to default program icon instead of their original icons. It hasn't affected the icons on the start menu shortcuts. All Microsoft app icons and some exceptions like...
  3. Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?: Recently, I freed up my OneDrive local storage and after that all icons on my desktop and taskbar are changed to default program icon instead of their original icons. It hasn't affected the icons on the start menu shortcuts. All Microsoft app icons and some exceptions like...
  4. How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software: I'm trying to figure out how can I change the start menu icon but so far, I couldn't find anything on the internet. All the answers include third-party software which are not ready for windows 11. Is there a way I can change the icon through system softwares? Like control...
  5. How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software: I'm trying to figure out how can I change the start menu icon but so far, I couldn't find anything on the internet. All the answers include third-party software which are not ready for windows 11. Is there a way I can change the icon through system softwares? Like control...
  6. Is there any third party application hub to organize applications since the start menu...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any third party application hub to organize applications since the start menu...: Looking for a single application I can use to access all of my applications easily since the start menu isn’t customizable enough for my liking (especially since there are some applications in folders I can’t get out since the start menu folder is no where on my HDD). A bit...
  7. Windows 10 third party program starting issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 third party program starting issues: Dear Folks, Sometimes when i am working on windows 10 OS i face issues that my third party app is not starting .Even system is not restart/shutdown from there. Kindly give the exact solution for the issue....
  8. Windows start menu and microsoft edge not working after installing third party application

in Cortana
    Windows start menu and microsoft edge not working after installing third party application: i installed a third party theme "flat_color_w10_iconpack_by_alexgal23-d98fnp4" on windows 10 pro after the restart my microsoft edge dissappeared when you try to click it it shows a message "class not registered", also the windows button and icon are no longer responding.I...
  9. Start menu - installed/third-party apps/programs not showing/opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu - installed/third-party apps/programs not showing/opening: Hi all, I installed the latest Creators Update, but apps/programs I installed (e.g. Chrome, Office, Netflix) have disappeared from the start menu. They will appear in the search in the start menu, but installed apps like Netflix will not open. I have already tried this:...
  10. Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On

in Windows 10 News
    Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On: Microsoft is bringing back the Start menu in Windows 10, and after the Windows 8 saga, when the majority of adopters looked for third-party alternatives to make the desktop look more familiar, some developers might be worried that nobody would ever use their apps again....