Windows 10: A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

Discus and support A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hi, A few day's ago..on a whim, I thought I'd try the 'Classic Shell' software that I've been using with windows 8.1 . It's version # 4.2.0 (Beta)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Davy49 Win User

A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

Hi,
    A few day's ago..on a whim, I thought I'd try the 'Classic Shell' software that I've been using with windows 8.1 . It's version # 4.2.0 (Beta) ..per the developer's on the website:
    Here's what's new:

• Improved support for Windows 10
    • New ability to apply settings from XML files from command line: (I purposely removed the'link' that was shown)
    • New setting to override the system DPI resolution only for the start menu
    • New setting to change the user picture
    • Improved support for touch and high resolution displays
    • Multiple minor improvements and bugfixes

As with all beta software, glitches are possible, and it is not recommended for installation on critical systems.
    David *Smile

Davy49, Mar 6, 2015
  2. groze Win User

You just explained why we need options to enable what we like and disable what we don't.

groze, Mar 6, 2015
  3. It's really nice to see, that the folks who wrote the "Classic Shell" are not just resting on their laurels, but actively updating their program to work best with the newest OS. And best of all, it's still free, without even a nag box asking for money, like so many other so-called FREE programs.

I like all the 'Options' included with the "Classic Shell" giving the user MANY ways to customize the look and feel of the OS to one's personal idea of what feels good.

I can only assume, that so many people who have installed the "Classic Shell" don't know that to customize it, they have to Right Click on the new start button and then click on 'Settings' to get into the customizing menus.
    Like so many great pieces of software, just installing the program is only the first step...then comes the customizing of the program to suit ones needs and desires.

I see many programs on my customers PC's, that were just dumped on the HD and never really set up for best operation. Several Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware programs come to mind. *Rolleyes

Cheers Mates, and Happy Computing!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Mar 6, 2015
  4. A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

I don't believe anyone ever complained about having too many options *Smile
    Unless they are vaguely written to where the average user didn't know what the hell they were talking about *Confused

ThrashZone, Mar 6, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Options can be a pain too. Just think of the 120 different Linux distros that give you all the options in the world but are very confusing for the uninitiated layman. I think the amount of distros is one of the reasons that linux cannot make a real dent in the PC market.

The same goes for programs where you have to crawl thru 55 settings before you can use it. I think for programs and operating systems there should always be a reasonable default case that serves 95% of the users and for the 5% that want to have different options, add them at the end.

6. Davy49 Win User
    To be honest..at least while I'm using tech. preview, I'll probably uninstall the classic shell software, I agree..I really don't need it.
    David *Wink

Davy49, Mar 6, 2015
  7. groze Win User
    I always thought the more options the better. I blame hardware manufactures not supporting Linux as the real reason linux desktops are not as widespread but that might change depending on how people react to windows 10 or windows 10 as a service. The only reason Lubuntu works well on my system is dell built theirs for both windows and Ubuntu Linux.

groze, Mar 6, 2015
  8. LEE
    Lee Win User

Reason MFG's do not sale system with Linux is no body wants them. Those who do buy them with Linux install have requested them that way. You cannot sale something people don't want, and it would appear that only about 1.53 percent of the computing public want or care about Linux. Thus Linux becomes a dead topic. . .enjoy your Linux. . .*Smile

9. BunnyJ New Member
    While I have a live dvd with Linux Mint on it I use it for rescue use only. When I first tried to use Linux I had a rather steep learning curve and while I did get over it I just found that in the end Windows fit my needs much better. My experience with looking things up and asking questions concerning Linux I ran into .. well a user base that was a bit less than friendly and rather hostile at times. Using a good book was much more help that the internet when it came to using it.

Just my experience ..

BunnyJ, Mar 6, 2015
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    Lee, I am not so sure. There are beautiful Linux distros that would well work for 80% of the users. The problem is that there are too many different distros and the users get confused. If the Manufacturers could make a deal with one or two major Linux developement houses and concentrate on that, I am sure Linux could be a success.

There are many instances where Linux is a lot easier to use than Windows - e.g. installing or uninstalling programs or doing the updates. The perception that you need to run the command line in Linux all the time is wrong. I use the command line in Linux less than in Windows. Sometimes it is more convenient than using the UI, but that is a personal choice.

11. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree that Mint and NetRunner are nice Distros, it works just fine on my hardware .. but the users are the real issue with Linux in my mind. Not all of them are as helpful as you are and that's a deterrent to me at least. I never could get a simple answer to any of my questions and when I did the answer was always in a snarky manor.

BunnyJ, Mar 6, 2015
  12. groze Win User
    BunnyJ, There a two different type of Linux users. We have the old fashion type that like command line work and more business orientated and they dislike desktops and dislike Ubuntu varieties. That why the old timers use arch. There old timers think you need to learn Linux all by yourself. I have done my research. The newer crowd are people that like desktops guis and use sudo and are willing to help others. Windows 10 sister forum has a Linux section.

groze, Mar 6, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

No thanks, I had my experience, didn't like it and I just use it as a rescue when I ever need that. I just don't like having to use SUDO commands.

BunnyJ, Mar 6, 2015
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    I am member of the Linux forum and the Mint forum. I always got help there when I needed it. The same on the Zorin forum. I do mostly Mint and I had less problem exploring all the facilities on that than I had when I initially started with Windows - which was Vista.

I now attend Linux workshops at my computer club where the real pro's gather. Admittedly those guys know a lot more than I know and they can do some fantastic things. But 99% of the time I do not really need all that stuff.

My main use of my virtual Mint is to operate on the internet - because it is supposed to be safer. Never had a crash and never had a virus. Whatever I download there I check with Virus Total on-line and then I know whether it is good or bad.

15. BunnyJ New Member
    Honestly, I should learn more about Linux to be a true pro.. and I think I will. *Smile

BunnyJ, Mar 6, 2015
Thema:

1. A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... - Similar Threads - Third Party Start

2. Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?: Recently, I freed up my OneDrive local storage and after that all icons on my desktop and taskbar are changed to default program icon instead of their original icons. It hasn't affected the icons on the start menu shortcuts. All Microsoft app icons and some exceptions like...
  3. Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?: Recently, I freed up my OneDrive local storage and after that all icons on my desktop and taskbar are changed to default program icon instead of their original icons. It hasn't affected the icons on the start menu shortcuts. All Microsoft app icons and some exceptions like...
  4. How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software: I'm trying to figure out how can I change the start menu icon but so far, I couldn't find anything on the internet. All the answers include third-party software which are not ready for windows 11. Is there a way I can change the icon through system softwares? Like control...
  5. How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software: I'm trying to figure out how can I change the start menu icon but so far, I couldn't find anything on the internet. All the answers include third-party software which are not ready for windows 11. Is there a way I can change the icon through system softwares? Like control...
  6. Is there any third party application hub to organize applications since the start menu...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any third party application hub to organize applications since the start menu...: Looking for a single application I can use to access all of my applications easily since the start menu isn’t customizable enough for my liking (especially since there are some applications in folders I can’t get out since the start menu folder is no where on my HDD). A bit...
  7. Windows 10 third party program starting issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 third party program starting issues: Dear Folks, Sometimes when i am working on windows 10 OS i face issues that my third party app is not starting .Even system is not restart/shutdown from there. Kindly give the exact solution for the issue....
  8. Windows start menu and microsoft edge not working after installing third party application

in Cortana
    Windows start menu and microsoft edge not working after installing third party application: i installed a third party theme "flat_color_w10_iconpack_by_alexgal23-d98fnp4" on windows 10 pro after the restart my microsoft edge dissappeared when you try to click it it shows a message "class not registered", also the windows button and icon are no longer responding.I...
  9. Start menu - installed/third-party apps/programs not showing/opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu - installed/third-party apps/programs not showing/opening: Hi all, I installed the latest Creators Update, but apps/programs I installed (e.g. Chrome, Office, Netflix) have disappeared from the start menu. They will appear in the search in the start menu, but installed apps like Netflix will not open. I have already tried this:...
  10. Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On

in Windows 10 News
    Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On: Microsoft is bringing back the Start menu in Windows 10, and after the Windows 8 saga, when the majority of adopters looked for third-party alternatives to make the desktop look more familiar, some developers might be worried that nobody would ever use their apps again....