Windows 10: A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

Discus and support A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Lee, I am not so sure. There are beautiful Linux distros that would well work for 80% of the users. The problem is that there are too many different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Feb 26, 2015.

1. A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

Various studies have been conducted that indicate too many choices make people angry/disappointed.

I find that I often have to open up the Terminal (far more often than the Windows Command Prompt).
    IMO, that is because the GUI tools aren't "finished" to a high enough level (50%-60% in Linux vs 80%-90% in Windows).

That said, for Windows users, Linux GUIs should be easier to use than OS X, as they are very similar to Windows.
    The Linux keyboard shortcuts are almost exactly the same as Windows shortcuts.

The OS X file manager is difficult to use.
    How do you copy a file path or even work out where you are in the file system (in OS X)?

The keyboard shortcuts are horrible too (in OS X).
    Just use the Command key instead of the Control key, except when it is actually the Control key or the Alt key that is required. *Banghead

Don't get me started on the stupid disembodied menus or the horrible dock thing (in OS X).

lehnerus2000, Mar 7, 2015
  2. WHS
    whs Win User

A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... [​IMG]

3. I was referring to OS X. *Smile

The Linux GUI file managers are basically identical to Window Explorer.
    I have no problems using Caja.

Other members may find that tip useful though. *Smile

4. groze Win User

A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

They are improving. Some file manager didn't use to be that way and you either has use the terminal to copy/move an item or drag and drop from one window to another window.

The problem Bunnyj might have with Linux. Is setting the permission for some folders but that depends on the distro. I know I had to change mine home folder. I still have some issue with that. Sometime software won't install, that can happen with windows as well. I was real surprised how close the desktop guis resemble windows.

groze, Mar 7, 2015
  5. In some ways the Linux GUI file managers (like Caja) are better than File/Windows Explorer.

The ones that I've used have Tabs and Split view. *Nerd

Was that a few years ago?
    I've never come across that issue.

Permissions can be tricky.

I have some files in my Home directory that are owned by "root". *Eek

6. Mustang Win User
    I couldn't give two hoots what others like or don't like ... that's their business.

For my business I have found the W7 alphanumeric start menu the most efficient and space saving. I think it's reached the peak of efficiency potential. I never use apps, so to me they're an unnecessary encumbrance, wasting space and GBs of HD.

I use StartIsBack in W7, and if I couldn't get similar in W10, or be able to modify the standard start menu to emulate it, it would be a game stopper for me.

Mustang, Mar 7, 2015
  7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    I am sorry but this discussion has nothing to do with the original intention this thread was setup for. Linux is not a Windows 10 feature, nor is it included in Windows 10 as an add in feature. As to using it over Windows 10 I would guess that at least 95% of the folks here on the t0's could care less about Linux and its workings. . .*Smile

8. Trust_No1 Win User

Though this is off-topic;

I am not a big Linux fan, only because there way to many different versions, even growing up in Unix programming world, I find it difficult to get answers. The problem is to much information, everyone has a way of doing it but, it may not apply to your version.

The only Linux version I was successful with was Zorin, and their forums and developers are extremely helpful. Since it is modeled somewhat after Windows, I thought I would start there to try and learn it. Perhaps I will take a look at Mint.

I think greater strides in unification, are happening in the Linux world, and business is certainly interested
    this articles sheds some light on business and Linux
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/compani...want-them-now/

Even with all of that I think it will be years, if ever Linux, really becomes mainstream (although Ubuntu is very popular)

Trust_No1, Mar 7, 2015
  9. Superfly Win User
    I'm with Wolfgang/Leh et al... (btw... why don't I have a rep option..? just the report icon showing..)

Linux has a myriad of customisation options including that for start menu, via applets...

Superfly, Mar 7, 2015
  10. badrobot Win User
    I just also learned recently that there's no rep option on NEWS thread. *Smile

badrobot, Mar 7, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    It's not a permission issue that I had it's just the fact that I didn't like(enjoy) having to go to the command line and use cryptic sudo commands. I've never had issues installing any software in windows.. ever. But with Linux it can be a pain and I would rather not deal with it.

In the end, I might play with a distro of Linux again but it will be in a VM.

BunnyJ, Mar 7, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree.. it's fine if some want to use it but I'm here for Windows.. not Linux. If I want to discuss Linux I'll go over to a Linux forum. *Wink

BunnyJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... - Similar Threads - Third Party Start

2. Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?: Recently, I freed up my OneDrive local storage and after that all icons on my desktop and taskbar are changed to default program icon instead of their original icons. It hasn't affected the icons on the start menu shortcuts. All Microsoft app icons and some exceptions like...
  3. Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?: Recently, I freed up my OneDrive local storage and after that all icons on my desktop and taskbar are changed to default program icon instead of their original icons. It hasn't affected the icons on the start menu shortcuts. All Microsoft app icons and some exceptions like...
  4. How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software: I'm trying to figure out how can I change the start menu icon but so far, I couldn't find anything on the internet. All the answers include third-party software which are not ready for windows 11. Is there a way I can change the icon through system softwares? Like control...
  5. How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software: I'm trying to figure out how can I change the start menu icon but so far, I couldn't find anything on the internet. All the answers include third-party software which are not ready for windows 11. Is there a way I can change the icon through system softwares? Like control...
  6. Is there any third party application hub to organize applications since the start menu...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any third party application hub to organize applications since the start menu...: Looking for a single application I can use to access all of my applications easily since the start menu isn’t customizable enough for my liking (especially since there are some applications in folders I can’t get out since the start menu folder is no where on my HDD). A bit...
  7. Windows 10 third party program starting issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 third party program starting issues: Dear Folks, Sometimes when i am working on windows 10 OS i face issues that my third party app is not starting .Even system is not restart/shutdown from there. Kindly give the exact solution for the issue....
  8. Windows start menu and microsoft edge not working after installing third party application

in Cortana
    Windows start menu and microsoft edge not working after installing third party application: i installed a third party theme "flat_color_w10_iconpack_by_alexgal23-d98fnp4" on windows 10 pro after the restart my microsoft edge dissappeared when you try to click it it shows a message "class not registered", also the windows button and icon are no longer responding.I...
  9. Start menu - installed/third-party apps/programs not showing/opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu - installed/third-party apps/programs not showing/opening: Hi all, I installed the latest Creators Update, but apps/programs I installed (e.g. Chrome, Office, Netflix) have disappeared from the start menu. They will appear in the search in the start menu, but installed apps like Netflix will not open. I have already tried this:...
  10. Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On

in Windows 10 News
    Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On: Microsoft is bringing back the Start menu in Windows 10, and after the Windows 8 saga, when the majority of adopters looked for third-party alternatives to make the desktop look more familiar, some developers might be worried that nobody would ever use their apps again....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. do microsoft agree with brytesoft

2. third party start menu windows 10