Windows 10: A/V

Discus and support A/V in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello I know Win 10 firewall is just fair as it does not monitor outgoing traffic but feel the router's firewall compensates for it. However, the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by maranna, Mar 8, 2017.

1. maranna Win User

A/V

Hello
    I know Win 10 firewall is just fair as it does not monitor outgoing traffic but feel the router's firewall compensates for it.

However, the A/V Defender could score better so I was wondering if the Avast I installed is a better idea. It seems to be easy to use and reads well in reviews.

Thank you
    Peter

:)

maranna, Mar 8, 2017
  2. Sharan_Z Win User

Windows 10 error code =v-

Has anyone else come across an error code =v- after their machine has been updated to Win10 from Win8?

Login is fine then it seems that if the machine is left for any amount of time, even just a few minutes, it throws up a page of this error code - below. The mouse freezes and all keys become inactive, so the machine has to be forced into shutdown and restarted.
    So far today this has happened about 6 times...very frustrating. Does anyone know what's caused this and how to rectify it.

Thanks.

 - =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v-
    =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v-
    =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v-
    =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v- =v¬

Sharan_Z, Mar 8, 2017
  3. A v a Win User
    Pop-ups everywhere!

I have so many pop-ups, it's a struggle just to write this! You see, there are there are these websites popping up. Maraukog.info, enclosely.info, and aclassigned.info that keep appearing, and there is this cmd.exe and System32 thing showing up as well.
    My computer is getting so slow because of the pop-ups, and I'm afraid it's just sucking all my information from it. Whenever you try to close the maraukog thing or the system32 thing, they just come back and in GREATER NUMBER! I've uninstalled and reinstalled
    Chrome twice, and now that I'm using Edge, it's getting worse! Please help me!

A v a, Mar 8, 2017
  4. A/V

TairikuOkami, Mar 11, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    swarfega, Mar 11, 2017
  6. maranna Win User
    I do have available Norton security suite with Comcast for free but do not think it is their best product.
    I am using Avast and like its simplicity for my level.
    I have a firewall within my gateway and have the Windows firewall set to default b/c it is too hard for me to go further.
    I could stop all traffic one way but that is not really configuring as it should be.
    I use MBAM and Exploit also.
    However, I was anxious to look at the referrals you presented and thank you for those links.

I'm back:

Is it true Windows firewall Control, and Sphinx software do not attend to two way traffic like the native Windows Firewall does not?
    Lastly, is there any way to protect against that fantomware encryption in the YouTube video that seems so serious and invasive imitating a Windows update?

maranna, Mar 11, 2017
  7. TairikuOkami, Mar 11, 2017
  8. maranna Win User

A/V

I noticed there is a free Sandboxie but it looks tricky.. I read Comodo is hard to uninstall.
    I think my combo above is pretty good and I do not have to configure much. I am lacking a firewall but cannot find one that can be removed and is relatively carefree but effective. If Comodo can be removed it would be a good one so I will look further in to it.
    Thank you

maranna, Mar 11, 2017
  9. Firewalls are slowly dying out, since there is hardly any use for them.
    Linux is replacing firewalls as we know it, whenever virtualized or within a router.

You can try Zone Alarm or Free-firewall which can work alongside Windows Firewall.

10. Barman58 Win User
    Barman58, Mar 11, 2017
  11. maranna Win User
    ZoneAlarm 2017 is only compatible with MS Windows Defender, and is not compatible with any other antimalware software.
    I thought you would find the above interesting. When one reads about each firewall there seems to be a conflict.
    I will try one that works with my existing package if that is possible.
    Thanks again

maranna, Mar 11, 2017
  12. I did not know. I avoid security software for this very reason, I am through with BSODs, I like a stable PC. *Smile

13. maranna Win User

A/V

>>I am not a high level user. I would not like a BSOD either. I have listed my programs; Avast AV, MBAM and Exploit, Zone Alarm(seems to be ok short term), a gateway with a router within.

I used to have Defender, router, MBAM, and Win 10 firewall at default.

I would be glad to have you suggest a way to go, possibly using what I had before to avoid BSOD and conflicts but have decent coverage with conservative surfing and cautious passwords at the bank..

maranna, Mar 11, 2017
  14. Sounds like you have got a nice setup already. You might add:

CustomDNS - it blocks phishing/malware webpages, Google, Norton, OpeDNS.
    HitmanPro - it performs a fast scan at startup, it uses multi AV engines.
    Password Manager - KeePass (Offline) or LastPass (Online).

Privacy extensions - they block tracking and some malware, but ADs too, so not allowed to discuss.

15. maranna Win User
    You mentioned that you did not want a BSOD which I assumed was caused by conflicting programs. That is why I asked if my original set up with Windows programs and MBAM was advisable rather than all of these 3rd party ones.

maranna, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

A/V