Windows 10: A vbs script intended to check for updates does not work.

Discus and support A vbs script intended to check for updates does not work. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The following vbs script was copied from this page. Set automaticUpdates = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.AutoUpdate") automaticUpdates.DetectNow()... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Matthew Wai, Oct 29, 2016.

1. A vbs script intended to check for updates does not work.

The following vbs script was copied from this page.

Set automaticUpdates = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.AutoUpdate")
    automaticUpdates.DetectNow()

It does not work at my end because no updates are shown as available when they are available.
    Does it work at your end?

:)

Matthew Wai, Oct 29, 2016
  2. JonDresser, Oct 29, 2016
  3. Start iTunes for Windows minimized using Task Scheduler

There is a work around.

You can use a vb script to launch then minimize it.

Create a notepad document

Paste this into it

Set iTunes=CreateObject("iTunes.Application")

iTunes.Windows.Item(1).Minimized=True

Save as iTunes.vbs

Create a task>launch a program>put the location of the saved vb script into the task.

I thought that you could use the iTunes /m but it does not work (just tried it)

The VB script does work from task scheduler (just tried that too)

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 29, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

A vbs script intended to check for updates does not work.

Hi, can't comment on that, but a possibility if you want to launch windows update from a command line is this portable tool:
    Download Windows Update MiniTool - MajorGeeks

Noted comment:
    Added cmd line arg -update for autostart search updates.

dalchina, Oct 29, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 29, 2016
  6. Can you explain how to do so in details? I am a computer idiot.

It works. Thanks!

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Oct 29, 2016
  8. A vbs script intended to check for updates does not work.

I want it to automatically check for updates in the background and notify me only when an update is available to download.
    Can MiniTool do so? What is the command line? Please explain in detail.

9. dalchina New Member
    I can only point you to it and say that that's what the change log says was added. Others have had success with the tool in general, sometimes when Windows update itself wasn't working. Having read your post, I thought of that tool and wondered if it had a command line option. Apparently so, beyond that you would need to read up on it - I've not used it myself.

wumt_x64.exe -update
    - launches the program + scans for updates - I can't tell you if it applies a Windows update as I have none pending.

I also had a quick look at commands that used to work, but a superficial attempt found nothing that did from a command prompt. I would expect there is sthg.

dalchina, Oct 29, 2016
  10. "D:\Matthew's folder\wumt_x64.exe -update"

I ran the above command in a .bat file, but it did not work. What's wrong?

Matthew Wai, Oct 30, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    wumt_64.exe has to be in your programs path to be run like that. I.e. windows has to 'find' it.
    Or, you specify the exact path yourself.
    You can find suitable locations by typing echo %path% at a command prompt.
    I can only guess why it didn't work for you as you haven't said what error message if any you got.

But this only scans for Windows updates- it doesn't apply them as far as I can tell.
    It's certainly an interesting program.

dalchina, Oct 30, 2016
  12. wumt_64.exe is actually in this folder D:\Matthew's folder\
    It starts if the command is "D:\Matthew's folder\wumt_x64.exe"
    A prompt window disappears as soon as it appears if the command is "D:\Matthew's folder\wumt_x64.exe -update" And nothing else happens.
    No error message appears.

Matthew Wai, Oct 30, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi, this is what I get - it scans for updates (you should see a little green progress bar) and shows this:

A vbs script intended to check for updates does not work. [​IMG]

- from a run command or a command prompt.

Beyond that I can't help, I'm afraid.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. A vbs script intended to check for updates does not work. - Similar Threads - vbs script intended

2. VBS script malware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VBS script malware: I have accidentally downloaded malware onto my computer. It is trying to run RuneGoTOMjbvdo.vbs which i deleted. I get a warning that Windows Script host cannot find the file. I have run Malwarebytes, and frst64. I have also added and enable key to the registry to disable...
  3. VBS script malware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VBS script malware: I have accidentally downloaded malware onto my computer. It is trying to run RuneGoTOMjbvdo.vbs which i deleted. I get a warning that Windows Script host cannot find the file. I have run Malwarebytes, and frst64. I have also added and enable key to the registry to disable...
  4. .VBS script doesn't work anymore after update.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .VBS script doesn't work anymore after update.: After restarting to complete an update, which also changed all my wallpapers, and uninstalled ultrauxthemepatcher... Thanks a lot >:.... Now my neat little script doesn't work anymore.I get this error when trying to run it :It used to work perfectly fine......
  5. .VBS script doesn't work anymore after update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .VBS script doesn't work anymore after update.: After restarting to complete an update, which also changed all my wallpapers, and uninstalled ultrauxthemepatcher... Thanks a lot >:.... Now my neat little script doesn't work anymore.I get this error when trying to run it :It used to work perfectly fine......
  6. .VBS script doesn't work anymore after update.

7. VBS script opening error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VBS script opening error: Hi guys.A .vbs script in the startup/programs folder that should open on every startup displays the following error and the script fails to run every time.The error message is -' Creates a SR point during the first startup of the day ' Option Explicit Dim SRP, CSRP, objWMI,...
  8. vbs script problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    vbs script problem: Script: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Updates\Run.vbs Line: 31 Char: 1 Error: The system cannot find the file specified. Code: 80070002 Source: null This is popping up on my windows startup. And also my windows defender is not working. Please help....
  9. vbs script problem

vbs script problem: Script: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Updates\Run.vbs Line: 31 Char: 1 Error: The system cannot find the file specified. Code: 80070002 Source: null This is popping up on my windows startup. And also my windows defender is not working. Please help....
  10. VBS Script Renaming a pc script fails

in Windows 10 Support
    VBS Script Renaming a pc script fails: can anyone tell me why this script fails with rc=5.. I am not very well versedin resolving scripts.... MUCH APPRECIATED IN ADVANCE! Const JOIN_DOMAIN = 1 Const ACCT_CREATE = 2 Const ACCT_DELETE = 4 Const WIN9X_UPGRADE = 16 Const DOMAIN_JOIN_IF_JOINED = 32 Const...