Windows 10: A weird case of missing system files/folders

Discus and support A weird case of missing system files/folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Weird case. I have 2 identical laptops, running Windows 10 1511 Pro and identical software. I keep all data always in sync via OneDrive -- use one in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oao, Jul 24, 2018.

1. OAO
    oao Win User

A weird case of missing system files/folders

Weird case.

I have 2 identical laptops, running Windows 10 1511 Pro and identical
    software. I keep all data always in sync via OneDrive -- use one in the
    office and one out.

The only difference between them is that one runs 10586.679, which was
    freshly installed by me; the other 10586.494 upgraded in place from
    Windows 7 by previous owner.

When I compare the contents of drive C:, both have the following:

Perflogs
    Program Files
    Program Files (x86)
    ProgramData
    temp
    Users
    Windows
    AMTAG.BIN

but the 679 also has the following:

swapfile.sys
    pagefile.sys
    hiberfile.sys
    BOOTNXT
    bootmgr
    System Volume Information
    Recovery
    Output
    $recycle.bin
    drvtmp
    Documents and Settings
    boot

It seems to me that these are required files and should be on both systems.
    Yet one laptop seems to run without them.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on? Should I worry? Anything I
    need to do to fix?

:)

2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile A weird case of missing system files/folders :)

Frogger, Jul 24, 2018
  3. Pinned & Recent Folder Missing From Explorer in Start

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that the quick access and recently oped files option are missing. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Open File explorer.
    • Click on View and then Options.
    • Choose Folder and search options.
    • Under General Tab and under Privacy, make sure to place a check mark on Show recently used files and recently used folder in Quick access.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jul 24, 2018
  4. A weird case of missing system files/folders

Missing Folder

Hello Bernie,

Let's sort out your issue with the missing folder. We can check or hidden files and folders. Sometimes, files and folders might appear missing, but they are actually hidden. To show hidden files and folders, do the following:

• Type File Explorer in the Search field in the task bar. Choose
      File Explorer Options
      from the list.
    • When File Explorer Options window opens, go to View
      tab. Locate Hidden files and folders option and select Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    • Click Apply and OK to save changes.

After you’ve changed this option, try searching for the missing files and folders on your computer. In most cases, the files should be in the same folder where you left them.

Get back to us for any updates.

Jennifer Bri, Jul 24, 2018
Thema:

A weird case of missing system files/folders

1. A weird case of missing system files/folders - Similar Threads - weird case missing

2. A case of a missing jpeg.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A case of a missing jpeg.: I am sure this will be considered the most frivolous request for assistance that has ever been posted on this forum, but here goes. I have a folder with a goodly number of JPEGs that revolve in order on my screen as a slideshow. There is one particular picture that I would...
  3. A case of a missing jpeg.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A case of a missing jpeg.: I am sure this will be considered the most frivolous request for assistance that has ever been posted on this forum, but here goes. I have a folder with a goodly number of JPEGs that revolve in order on my screen as a slideshow. There is one particular picture that I would...
  4. A case of a missing jpeg.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Missing Folders and Files

Missing Folders and Files: I am a Lenovo Laptop user. Now running on Windows 10. My Files and Folders on Drive E and D are missing lately, and all software installed on that drives cannot be opened. I lost all my editing projects and videos. With Everything search Application I could find the folders...
  6. Case insensitive file system that isn't case insensitive

Case insensitive file system that isn't case insensitive: windows 10 pro, version 2004, OS build 19041.685 I have these two directories: C:\Users\xxx\OneDrive\pictures C:\Users\xxx\OneDrive\Pictures I ran fsutil on the directory that has "pictures" and "Pictures": fsutil.exe file queryCaseSensitiveInfo C:\Users\xxx\OneDrive...
  7. Missing Folders and files

Missing Folders and files: I do all downloads to Drive G: and to a folder named Downloads. I can open the folder, but I see only eight files. When I check the properties of the Download folder it tells me that it contains 328 files in 22 folders. That leads me to believe that they are still there,...
  8. Weird folder in Common Files?

Weird folder in Common Files?: So I was just giving my laptop a LOVELY spring cleaning when I came upon this folder in common files. I'm... super confused. I don't even know where to begin asking questions. The text documents were just gibberish and I didn't click past the opening screen of the...
  9. Case Fans Acting Weird

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Case Fans Acting Weird: So the case fans on my system are a bit strange, they're both set with the exact same fan curve, both are PWM and are set to base their speed off of the CPU temps. When I first built the system, I knew I already had a bad fan header, because anything plugged into it was given...
  10. Missing Folders/Files

Missing Folders/Files: Hi, I recently noticed after working on a folder and saving, the next day the folder had disappeared. I checked the used/free values in Windows Explorer and found a 50GB difference from this to the value given by selecting contents and checking properties. I have 6...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. oktag.bin