Windows 10: A word of warning about Laplink PCmover Pro

Discus and support A word of warning about Laplink PCmover Pro in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; If you decide to buy this product then just be aware that it is sold with a single use licence. So you get one shot at transferring your settings and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Hairy Scot, Apr 20, 2016.

1. A word of warning about Laplink PCmover Pro

If you decide to buy this product then just be aware that it is sold with a single use licence.
    So you get one shot at transferring your settings and apps across a reset or fresh install of Windows.
    If you're looking at this product as a means to facilitate resets or fresh installs then you will require to purchase a new licence for each exercise.
    That said, it does do a pretty good job. Not 100%; I had a few settings and apps missed when I used it recently.

:)

Hairy Scot, Apr 20, 2016

2. file transfered

I transferred files using laplink pcmover as recommended but cant find files transferred on new pc???

KarenRestelli, Apr 20, 2016
  3. Transfer programs from Windows 7 during clean installation of Windows 10

Reliable and for certain? Not really.

You might try some third party applications (like
    LapLink pcmover professional
    ) but... really ... you should get installation media for your applications and keep your product keys and serial numbers safe.

Shenan Stanley, Apr 20, 2016
  4. A word of warning about Laplink PCmover Pro

Good warning. I've always wondered why anyone would spend money on this software when it is a simple task to do on your own. I wouldn't trust software to find my data or decide what was important to me. Also, when switching to a new computer, I don't want settings and older apps to be moved over. Starting fresh is a great time to....start fresh.

DeaconFrost, Apr 20, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    It's a trade-off of time vs money. In my case it saved at least 3 days' work - oh, and I had a free license for PCMover Image &
    Drive Assistant. That used an existing disk image.

Clean install of Windows, + install selected programs automatically - rather than manually installing them.

But if you've only, say, Office, and a couple of others, it's not worth it.

dalchina, Apr 20, 2016
  6. I have three computers, one of which is a business system, and it wouldn't take more than 2 hours to move or back up everything on any of those computers. Three days would be crazy to me, and I definitely have plenty of data and apps installed.

7. dalchina New Member
    I speak from experience of having done it both ways.. and in fact manually I'd still be picking up on bits and pieces after that. But that's just my experience, and that's with downloads kept, licenses carefully stored etc. The transition to 64 bits was manual of course.

Hence my preference for using a tool... which reduces the task to leaving it to run, then checking and filling in what's not been done or not done successfully.

dalchina, Apr 20, 2016
  8. A word of warning about Laplink PCmover Pro

Sounds like you could use some organization. I keep my drivers updated on a flash drive. I keep my basic apps update on the same flash drive. Any software license keys I store in a cloud service so I can access them anytime, anywhere.

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows 10 does a much better job of just adapting itself to new hardware than past versions of Windows did. Just make an image of your old Windows 10. Restore the image to the new computer. Let it detect all the new hardware. If there isn't a digital entitlement for the new computer already stored at Microsoft, change product key on the activation screen to a valid product key to activate it. Remove any software you don't have two licenses for from the old computer. Done.

NavyLCDR, Apr 20, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    You may feel free to make that unjustified assumption.

1. I have never lost anything significant since using 8" Shugart floppies that I can think of.
    2. All my historic downloads are catalogued and searchable.
    3. All my license codes are in an encrypted file readily accessible in Roboform- it takes me a few seconds to find one.
    4. All my most recent downloads (over 18 months or more) are immediately to hand.

dalchina, Apr 20, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    I would be very surprised if this is true. According to EULA you get a single user licence and you may only have it on one hard disk at a time which is a fairly normal restriction. I see nothing in the EULA to suggest it is a once use only tool.

There is a trial version which may well be timebombed.

What evidence is there to support this statement?

cereberus, Apr 20, 2016
  12. It may be unjustified, but it shouldn't take anyone 3 days to configure a new computer. Even without using system images, I can get a developer's new computer, including all of their data moved to a new computer that I configure in a few hours.

Aside from the purpose of setting up a new computer with the latest drivers and apps, I just don't see any value in trusting a piece of software to decide what is important to me when I know this already.

13. A word of warning about Laplink PCmover Pro

I recently purchased the product and used it to transfer my settings and apps across a reset of my Windows 10 system.
    After the restore I encountered some issues so I decided that since I still had the recovery file available I would do a fresh install of Windows 10 and use PCMover Pro to drop the settings and apps onto the fresh system.
    HOWEVER when I tried to perform the recovery I received a message informing me that my registered serial number had no more licences.
    I am at the moment embroiled in a dispute with Laplink over this matter. So far the only concession I have gained is that I was granted another licence so that I could recover my system.
    Unfortunately I have since experienced various problems with my system and have now restored my system to its condition prior to my adventures with Laplink PCMover Pro.
    So my comment about a pretty good job seems to have be somewhat premature.
    Hopefully PayPal can winkle a refund out of Laplink.
    In the meantime I will think about performing another fresh install and rebuilding my system manually.

IBM = It's better manually.

Hairy Scot, Apr 20, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    Actually I have used Easeus PCTrans and it worked fairly well.

I guess instead of getting upset, you should

HAL (one step in front of IBM)

i.e Have A Laugh A word of warning about Laplink PCmover Pro :).

cereberus, Apr 21, 2016
  15. I'm not upset, just out of pocket to the tune of NZ$45.
    Mind you, being a Scot, it would fit the stereotype if I were upset. *Wink

Hairy Scot, Apr 21, 2016
Thema:

A word of warning about Laplink PCmover Pro

1. A word of warning about Laplink PCmover Pro - Similar Threads - word warning Laplink

2. Question about Word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Word: I want to create a form letter in Word and type [Date] into the master document. I then want to have that disappear when I begin typing the actual date in that spot. I want to do the same thing with [Name], [Address], etc. Can you tell me how to accomplish this or send me a...
  3. Question about Word

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Word: I want to create a form letter in Word and type [Date] into the master document. I then want to have that disappear when I begin typing the actual date in that spot. I want to do the same thing with [Name], [Address], etc. Can you tell me how to accomplish this or send me a...
  4. Question about Word

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. A Word of Advisement/Warning/Caution

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A Word of Advisement/Warning/Caution: Pay absolutely no attention to anything unless & until it is directly from MicrosoftNo articles, no YouTubes, no hearsay, editorials or options. No guesses, speculation or theories. Take no heed or stock in anything except from Microsoft itself Absolutely & completely ignore...
  6. Laplink Sync oddity - maybe

Laplink Sync oddity - maybe: For many years Ive used Laplinks Sync Tools to synchronise files between desktop & laptop (I know there are alternatives but I've grown to know & love Laplink and its quirks, it does all that I need). But Ive always failed to synchronise my music folders, Laplink hangs. So...
  7. Laplink PCmover - Aftermath

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laplink PCmover - Aftermath: I recently purchased a Dell desktop XPS. Upon receipt everything was fine as far staring the new computer, etc. So I decided to use the laplink PCmover Pro program that was offered by Dell. I initiated the process, doing all the preliminary things that PCmover suggested,...
  8. Warning about Onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Warning about Onedrive: Onedrive MOVES files and folders (even from other partitions) and place them in a new folder called "Onedrive" in the C: partition. I decided to use onedrive, I figured it was a good way to store docs and files I use on several pc's and phones when out of office. Soon...
  9. A word of warning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A word of warning: Update KB4476976 has twice knocked out my ability to connect to the DNS server. Fixed by uninstalling it. I contacted Microsoft to tell them by telephone for advice. They weren't interested. Anyone else had this problem??...
  10. Laplink transfers

Laplink transfers: When you move a program from C: to D: ,and a later update comes out, that could be a problem. The update would be looking for C: when the software is on D: Any way around this? 113559

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc mover laplink keeps turning wireless connection off during transfer