Windows 10: ABBYY crashes Office 16, Winword and Excel on Win10

Discus and support ABBYY crashes Office 16, Winword and Excel on Win10 in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; This documents a problem not posted but solved by a friend. I'm posting it because when he called MS for help the solution was the first thing the tech... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by rwhite1, Dec 11, 2015.

1. rwhite1 Win User

ABBYY crashes Office 16, Winword and Excel on Win10

This documents a problem not posted but solved by a friend. I'm posting it because when he called MS for help the solution was the first thing the tech suggested and I could find no reference to it on this site or anywhere else; therefore, it must occur often and should probably be documented.

After installing Office 16, the new WinWord and Excel kept terminating with the useless "Windows explorer stopped working." and "We'll notify you when (that means "if") a solution is found". It continued getting worse until the computer started crashing.

When he called MS and described the problem, the first thing the tech asked was, "Do you have ABBYY installed?" The answer: "Yes". When he removed the program the computer and Office 16 worked fine. ABBYY is an OCR program. For him, it was installed by an Epson scanner.

:)

rwhite1, Dec 11, 2015
  2. JudyAP Win User

windows 10 upgrade is crashing office 2013 - word/excel

I have had the same issue. I don't use Excel very often so just discovered that my files in Excel or Word won't open. The program just closes. I found that the issue for me was an add-in. Once I unchecked the box for ABBYY ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Sprint
    MSWord COM the issue went away and my files now open. I had to repeat the process for both Excel and Word in Office 2013. Here's the link to the site that walked me through the process.

I get a "stopped working" error when I start Office 2016 or 2013 applications on my PC

Hope this helps someone.

JudyAP, Dec 11, 2015
  3. how do i place xcel and winword icons on desktop

how do I place excel and winword icons on desktop

LutherDavis1, Dec 11, 2015
  4. ABBYY crashes Office 16, Winword and Excel on Win10

Wow, thanks for the post. My Win 10 Office 365 2016 was working just fine a week ago. I just recently installed ABBYY and it's been crashing ever since. Glad I came across this! I'm going to uninstall ABBYY and see what happens. The version of ABBYY that I used was also from an Epson printer. Thanks for the tip!

MSPRvrView, Jan 13, 2016
Thema:

ABBYY crashes Office 16, Winword and Excel on Win10

1. ABBYY crashes Office 16, Winword and Excel on Win10 - Similar Threads - ABBYY crashes Office

2. Office 16 on windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office 16 on windows 11?: Why does office 16 not work on windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-16-on-windows-11/bd48103f-2eed-41b1-b9df-c140c3b7e5b1
  3. office excel

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    office excel: I cannot open excel on my desk top, I do not know why or what happened. The message reads...... [TargetInvocationException} Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation,: [ExternalException] A generic error occurred in GDI+.....this is exactly as it reads. Does...
  4. I use Office Pro 2002. Problems using Winword on one Win10 machine

I use Office Pro 2002. Problems using Winword on one Win10 machine: Office Pro 2002. Two HP laptops, both Win10. One newer, one older. Newer HP machine was fine with Win10 and Office 2002 until memory issue happened with this machine; crashed when memory broke. Replaced memory, reloaded factory image of OS from partition. Since then,...
  5. office excel 2007

in Windows 10 Customization
    office excel 2007: why do I keep getting an error in office 2007 STDOLE32.tlb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-excel-2007/b77a8896-af42-4b81-9012-8ab19c1963bc
  6. Excel, Office 365

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel, Office 365: Hello, I am having puting 11-20 into a cell. It converts it to date format, Nov-20, and when I change the format to General it converts it to 44136. Same thing happens when I use the Number format. Only seems to be for this data, i.e. 11-20. Any ideas? Thanks....
  7. ABBYY FineReader 12 Sprint

ABBYY FineReader 12 Sprint: I have the above (free) software installed for a while now but have only just discovered that there is a temporary folder relating to the app. I am attaching a picture of File Explorer showing the folder. The app is for scanning hard copies using my Epson A-I-O...
  8. Excel v16 - office 365 - Multiple crashes & hangs

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel v16 - office 365 - Multiple crashes & hangs: Hello, see logs of issue with Excel that keeps occuring (there are more but just put those for the moment). I'm looking for advice & troubleshooting steps to try and zone in on the cause of these. One instance of Excel was open in all the crashes & hangs. OS: Windows 10...
  9. Latest update crashes Office (Excel) files.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Latest update crashes Office (Excel) files.: Hi, This morning I realised Win 10 updated itself overnight. In doing so it has caused serious problems with my old trustworthy Office XP. I can't open any files or enter any data as all files crash. I have uninstalled and re-installed (with restarts) twice but it doesn't fix...
  10. Wordpad and Winword

Wordpad and Winword: Wordpad and Winword have stop working, have scanned system for Viruses and Malware with no detections. 47087