Windows 10: Able to access network shares with dns relay on, but not with it off.

Discus and support Able to access network shares with dns relay on, but not with it off. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; ok, (as im sure this will make obvious) networking is not my forte. I recently ugpraded to gigabit and in the interest of figuring out some ping... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by klepp0906, Apr 29, 2018.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Able to access network shares with dns relay on, but not with it off.

ok, (as im sure this will make obvious) networking is not my forte.

I recently ugpraded to gigabit and in the interest of figuring out some ping issues (that'll be another thread after i sort this lol) Ive discovered an issue with my network shares.

If I have dns relay enabled in my gateway, I can access all my pc's and shares within file explorer no problamo.

However the default (and my ideal config) is to have dns relay disabled and thus use the actual dns as opposed to the gateway.

Problem is, doing so stops me from being able to access my pc's shares. The master browser can still see the other pcs ala name in file explorer, but cant access them.

If i manually enter the IP, i can access them just fine. Same with ping. Ping the PC name, no bueno. Ping the IP address, no problamo!

Anyone much more versed than me able to help me address this? Im sure it HAS to be something simple. Otherwise im stuck turning on dns relay.

:)

klepp0906, Apr 29, 2018
  2. HairyFool Win User

Not able to connect to microsoft servers

Try a different DNS server service. One of the early indications of problems with domestic ISP routers is problems with its DNS relay function. In most cases the PC uses the router as a DNS Server but it actually relays the request to your ISP's preferred
    DNS.

Right click the network connection Icon in the taskbar and select Open Network and Sharing centre.

Select Change adapter settings, top left. Right click your active network interface and select Properties.

Scroll down Internet Protocol Version 4. Double click to show its properties.
    Able to access network shares with dns relay on, but not with it off. [​IMG]

Change the button and set a fixed DNS, Your ISP runs one but Google have fast ones at 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8

OK twice to save the changes and see if it improves.

HairyFool, Apr 29, 2018
  3. JCT15 Win User
    Connected but no internet - DNS issue?

My computer is able to connect to wi-fi but without any internet access. There was some very slow access initially (no more than 2 mbps), but it gradually dropped off until it hit 0. My other devices are able to connect to this wi-fi network with no problem,
    and the computer in question has been able to connect to other networks without issue in the past. The network troubleshooter doesn't provide a consistent error message, but it seems to be related to DNS.

JCT15, Apr 29, 2018
Thema:

Able to access network shares with dns relay on, but not with it off.

1. Able to access network shares with dns relay on, but not with it off. - Similar Threads - Able access network

2. Not able to access network settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to access network settings: No options show up when I try to connect to a new network and whenever I go into the windows settings to try and fix it, the app crashes or doesn’t open. Same thing happens when I try the network and sharing center in the control panel....
  3. Not able to access network settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to access network settings: No options show up when I try to connect to a new network and whenever I go into the windows settings to try and fix it, the app crashes or doesn’t open. Same thing happens when I try the network and sharing center in the control panel....
  4. Accessing shares on local network. Win11 able to see shares on Win10 but denied access to them.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing shares on local network. Win11 able to see shares on Win10 but denied access to them.: Two PCs on a local network one Win10 the other Win11 new PC.I can access the shared empty DATA drive on the Win11 PC and copy files to it. However from the Win11 PC the shares on the Win10 PC are visible, but, with one exception the "Users" share on the Win10 system drive...
  5. Accessing shares on local network. Win11 able to see shares on Win10 but denied access to them.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing shares on local network. Win11 able to see shares on Win10 but denied access to them.: Two PCs on a local network one Win10 the other Win11 new PC.I can access the shared empty DATA drive on the Win11 PC and copy files to it. However from the Win11 PC the shares on the Win10 PC are visible, but, with one exception the "Users" share on the Win10 system drive...
  6. DHCP not relayed with Remote Access VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DHCP not relayed with Remote Access VPN: I am trying to set up a new Remote Access server Server 2019 or Server 2016 and get error 13899 when clients attempt to connect when the RA server is configured to manage IP addresses via DHCP. Configuring a static IP pool allows the connection to work fine. Registry key for...
  7. network sharing / access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network sharing / access: [ATTACH] I've clicked and searched folders, explorer, sharing, users, advanced etc. and all I know to look at for hours. I can't access Jason at all, see this message. I can see the third computer and can access the \\users\public folder - on it. His computer name is -2019...
  8. No longer able to access network shares after 1809 updates

No longer able to access network shares after 1809 updates: After Windows decided to spite me and install these updates anyhow, my main PC can no longer access any of my file shares on my server. I'm very angry as something this simple and widely used should not be broken in the updates. I've tried many solutions suggested all over...
  9. Microsoft/Live account not able to access network shares

Microsoft/Live account not able to access network shares: Hi, I have 4 PCs in a home network and an trying to arrange to share between them. Two have Windows 10 Pro, two have Windows 10 Home and all 4 are fully updated. All have two user accounts set up - one admin, one standard. Both user accounts are set up as Microsoft...
  10. Not able to access NAS Shared folder

Not able to access NAS Shared folder: Hey, Recently, I reinstalled windows 10, and suddenly, I was not able to access any shared folders located on my NAS. I was able to access other PCs (running windows 10)'s shared folders. Other PCs(running windows 10) are able to acccess the NAS. Can you guys help with...