Windows 10: About external ODDs

Discus and support About external ODDs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I've searched for the topic but I didn't find anything. Sorry if this turns to be a repost. I am looking into buying an external ODD, capable of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sonamsopmist, Mar 7, 2018.

1. About external ODDs

Hi, I've searched for the topic but I didn't find anything. Sorry if this turns to be a repost.
    I am looking into buying an external ODD, capable of bluray reading and writing/burning. I was told by a computer store manager that bluray disks are the safest way to store data, since they are durable and not electronic.
    So I look around on the online market, and there are some rather shady and bulkier unbranded ones, costing about 45. None if them mentions Win10 compatibility (but they do go up to win7). And of course there are known brands like LG, ASUS, ect., that are slimmer, and also very clear on what they can do. They are rather expensive though, from 85 to 140.
    My question is, are optical media indeed the safest way to store anything?
    And is it best to go for an expensive brand, in terms of performance, computer compatibility and reliability?
    I work on an ASUS X556UV laptop, if it matters. The data I want to save are of various format: games data, images, music collections, videos, documents, and of course Windows restore stuff.

:)

sonamsopmist, Mar 7, 2018
  2. vbisbest Win User

Windows 10 creators update - Screen does not come back on after sleep/hibernate

Same issue here with the external monitor not turning back on after sleep. I have one other odd behavior as well. When my laptop boots up, the external monitor will be active for about 5 seconds. Then it turns off and switches to the laptop monitor.
    It will sit there for about 30 seconds and then switch back to the external monitor. If I try to login before it switches back to the main monitor the screen will be fuzzy (bad resolution) or it windows completely crashes and it reboots.

Windows 10 Creators Update

AMD 455 Pro

vbisbest, Mar 7, 2018
  3. Odd bug about keyboard

Might be a hardware issue. Take the device to a repair center closer to you.

Linley Meslier, Mar 7, 2018
  4. About external ODDs

For short term backups you should really just use an external HDD.

For long term archiving of photos, videos and important documents, the Asus external Blu-Ray writer with M-Disk support is a really good choice. Yeah, I know they are quite expensive, and so are the disks you write your backups on too.

M-Disk = A specific type of DVD or Blu-Ray disk that is designed for long term archiving. Claims the data stays intact for thousands of years.

What comes to Blu-Ray burners, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy any cheap unbranded devices. You will regret it, since the burning quality is terrible. For archiving, DO NOT buy any unbranded disks either. Many unbranded disks are so unreliable that you might end up tossing 9 of 10 disks in the bin. If unsure, Verbatim is a quite safe bet (there are many other brands too).

If your data is very important to you, then one can not put any price tag on it. A $100-200 investment for security is then a cheap investment. If you don't have backups and your main HDD dies, it can cost you several thousands of dollars to have a professional restore the data for you. The more damaged the disk, the more it will cost and the price grows exponentially. (Latest quote I got for a 500GB drive I wanted to restore 100% was ~8000€ -> ~$9600. I never made the deal, since the data was not that important to me)

Hope this information helped you with making a good decision. *Smile

slicendice, Mar 7, 2018
  5. Thank you, I think I'll go with an LG or asus. Guess I'll wait for my next payday. BTW are sd cards reliable with a proper format? I notice that 256Gb unbranded ones can be quite cheap, but thay can have issues.

6. You are very welcome!

SD-cards are not that reliable if doing a lot of writes, but for mostly reading they last a long time. Some brands are better than others. There are also a lot of sizes and speeds, which all directly are reflected in price.

For SD-card brands I'd stick with Verbatim, Lexar, Samsung, Sandisk and Kingston. Sony is also a good choice but usually are more expensive. Personally I prefer Samsung cards. I currently have a fast Samsung 256GB microSD in my mobile.

slicendice, Mar 7, 2018
  7. Thanks once more. I am performing a hard format on mine, started yesterday noon but think it will be over in 1 hour. Reason is one of my phones doesn't recognize it, asks to format but doesn't perform. I think a chkdsk after a hard format will fix it.

8. About external ODDs

What size is the card and what phone brand and model are you trying to use it on?

slicendice, Mar 7, 2018
  9. 256Gb generic card on alcatel one touch pixi first. Same card seems to work on my nubia z9 mini though. Tried to copy a music collection on it but I'd say only 70%of the tracks were fluent. I hope the format will fix it. If not then I guess the sd is faulty.

10. Alcatel One Touch Pixi First does NOT support 256GB cards.

I don't think there are any issues with the card itself, since it worked on another device.

slicendice, Mar 7, 2018
  11. I see. So many thanks for all your time.

12. You are welcome! Glad I could help.

P.S. Pixi First supports only up to 32GB cards (possibly 64GB, but def. NOT 256GB) *Smile

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

About external ODDs

1. About external ODDs - Similar Threads - external ODDs

2. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  3. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  4. my external ssd won't connect in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my external ssd won't connect in explorer: Hello Everone,I need your help guys!Since I downloaded photos from my iPhone that were in HEIC format, I sent them to my external SSD, and quickly my external SSD stopped working. My external ssd E: won't connect in explorer, and is looking like this:When I plug it in, the...
  5. my external ssd won't connect in explorer

my external ssd won't connect in explorer: Hello Everone,I need your help guys!Since I downloaded photos from my iPhone that were in HEIC format, I sent them to my external SSD, and quickly my external SSD stopped working. My external ssd E: won't connect in explorer, and is looking like this:When I plug it in, the...
  6. when my device is unplugged and connected to external display and I open an app it my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when my device is unplugged and connected to external display and I open an app it my...: I have a asus tuf gaming a16 and it starts working when I plug in the AC adapter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-my-device-is-unplugged-and-connected-to/83384451-4815-46db-82b2-830a004d8354
  7. when my device is unplugged and connected to external display and I open an app it my...

when my device is unplugged and connected to external display and I open an app it my...: I have a asus tuf gaming a16 and it starts working when I plug in the AC adapter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-my-device-is-unplugged-and-connected-to/83384451-4815-46db-82b2-830a004d8354
  8. i am installing an external ODD & HDD device. my hp Envy windows 10 is not...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i am installing an external ODD & HDD device. my hp Envy windows 10 is not...: I am installing an external ODD & HDD device on an HP Envywin10 and the computer won't recognize nor power the unit. help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-installing-an-external-odd-hdd-device-my-hp/c0cc702d-b3e5-4760-ab78-a6102a893663
  9. Odd and confusing External USB 3.0 HUB behavior.. Only 1 port works for only ONE specific...

Odd and confusing External USB 3.0 HUB behavior.. Only 1 port works for only ONE specific...: 2 days ago I opened up my laptop to put new cooling paste on the CPU and GPU, it went somewhat ok, had to redo the opening part once because it didn't function properly. Now it works fine, but something have happened with my Externally powered 7port USB 3.0 hub. I used to...
  10. Liteon external ODD not recognised by Lenovo Yoga 500 with Windows 10

Liteon external ODD not recognised by Lenovo Yoga 500 with Windows 10: I just purchased a Lenovo YOGA 500 Convertible Laptop, AMD A8, 8GB RAM, 1TB, 14". It doesn't have a built in DVD drive but I thought I could load software I have on DVD using a Liteon external ODD model eTDU108 I bought a while back to deal with another issue. It isn't...