Windows 10: About these daily windows 10 updates...more a question than a rant

Discus and support About these daily windows 10 updates...more a question than a rant in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I really like Win10 Pro and after a few months of testing, I've swung one of my laptops completely over to it. In the course of testing various... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SyncToGreen, Feb 11, 2016.

1. About these daily windows 10 updates...more a question than a rant

I really like Win10 Pro and after a few months of testing, I've swung one of my laptops completely over to it.

In the course of testing various programs over the months, I installed my own old Office Xp from 2002. Actually, just Word and Excel since I use those once in a while. Those two work great. I found updates for it, installed those, still great.

Okay, well, in the course of win 10's normal daily updating of stuff, it downloads-installs-and fails with the following....

Update for Office XP (KB913471) ............which isn't necessary
    Security Update for PowerPoint 2002 (KB905758) ............. not necessary... I didn't install powerpoint
    Security Update for PowerPoint 2002 ........................... same as above
    Security Update for SharePoint Team Services (KB911701) ................. didn't install it... no doubt part of office xp though
    Update for Access 2002 (KB904018)............. same as above

Unless Microsoft plans to integrate "hide" or select down the road and just haven't gotten around to it yet, those five updates above have gone through the download/fail to install process many dozens of times now. Doesn't really bother me, but it is getting a little boring to see the list every day. Other MS/win updates continue to come in, download, install just fine, so the system is basically working like it should.

Anyone find a secret solution yet? Other than me buying a new version of Office?

I looked for a way to uninstall something or other related to the above, but of course, there's no powerpoint to uninstall, no reference prog for sharepoint, access etc.

As soon as MS adds a hide/don't install option again, I'll be happy.

:)

SyncToGreen, Feb 11, 2016

2. More a Solution than a Question

Windows Defender got turned off, not sure how. The app said I should turn it on. I tried in the app and again in the settings, to no avail. I had seen a question in this forum saying they had the same problem...could not even run a scan. I went to
    the app tried to turn on Defender, it was taking a while, so I tried to run a scan. The scan ran and no problems. After it finished my real-time protection was on and has stayed on. Hope this helps someone.

austingal916, Feb 11, 2016
  3. BillFra Win User
    Windows 10

My PC OS is Windows 8.1. I have reserved an upgrade to Windows 10 and been on that status for about three months and check daily for notification to upgrade. More than several friends with older equipment and reservations submitted more recently have been
    upgraded.

So two questions:

When will I receive the upgrade?

How will I be notified?

BillFra, Feb 11, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

About these daily windows 10 updates...more a question than a rant

I do not wish to appear blunt but is it surprising using a 2016 OS has issues with software way back in XP days?

MS are not going to pull out the stops to sort this issue.

You can turn off updates for other MS products in the update menus, under advanced options.

Really it is time to update to a more secure and modern version of office.

cereberus, Feb 11, 2016
  5. Actually, there are no issues. The old Word and Excel work great as I mentioned. That in itself is imo, pretty cool. I also have a win95/98se music program that is running flawlessly in win10. So cool with that as well.

I just may deactivate the "other windows products" part of update. Or maybe just leave things as they are.

I would however love it if MS "pulls out all the stops" sometime this year to add a hide/deselect option for non-os oriented downloads. I think they plan to do this and just haven't gotten to it yet.

SyncToGreen, Feb 11, 2016
  6. CmmTch Win User
    If you've got them you could install the other components of Office XP, then they will update, and eliminate the update failures. There's always a possibility there might be things added that you didn't have before too.

I feel just because a program is older, there's no need to replace it if it works for what you need it for.

I've got Office 2013 on W10 (got it through work incredibly cheap, $10 USD, had it on Win7) had to download/reinstall it again after upgrading from Win7 to W10. That was one of the few programs that didn't move with the upgrade, but since reinstall on 10 it's been updating with no problems. It has many more features than it had when I first installed it on Win7, I don't use it much but it's nice to have the capability if you need it.

CmmTch, Feb 14, 2016
  7. f14tomcat Win User
  8. About these daily windows 10 updates...more a question than a rant

THANKS!!!!!! That's exactly what I needed. The 5 error updates are now set to not download in the future. Tests to work great.... just like the old hide/unhide options on older win os systems. Why wushowhide is a separate download is beyond me. This should be built right in to the update options page imo. But oh well, works fine. THANKS AGAIN!

SyncToGreen, Feb 15, 2016
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    Glad I could help!

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

About these daily windows 10 updates...more a question than a rant

1. About these daily windows 10 updates...more a question than a rant - Similar Threads - daily updates more

2. Updates taking more than 10 hours

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates taking more than 10 hours: Windows has been running "Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2" for more then 10 hours. It was stuck several time previously, now at 90%. I was previously stuck at 60% and 87% before I rebooted. Have tried everything I know of....
  3. Updates taking more than 10 hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates taking more than 10 hours: Windows has been running "Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2" for more then 10 hours. It was stuck several time previously, now at 90%. I was previously stuck at 60% and 87% before I rebooted. Have tried everything I know of....
  4. System still running about more than 10 minutes

System still running about more than 10 minutes: I can't play games with this task still running cause cpu force to 100% and overheat my laptop. Why this happen sometimes? And how can i get rid of it?...
  5. Comment more than question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Comment more than question: I like many others am tired of receiving the innocuous message that I am not the true Administrator of my PC and this privilege and or function is being denied Google this phrase "cmd prompt administrator windows 10" all your problems will be over, follow instruction...
  6. Question about update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question about update: I am a non- insider and I installed .113 build from uupdump.. I checked for updates to get onto .116 build but I got KB4497936. Did anyone else get this update? Why didn't I get the .116 update? 132936
  7. Technical question about updates for more than 1 month

Technical question about updates for more than 1 month: In order to save time and hassle I update my old laptop by downloading update packages from the catalog website on my PC and transferring the files on to its hard drive and running them. I have now got 2 months of updates to do which means: cumulative KB4456655 for September...
  8. Question about updates

Question about updates: I installed Win 10 Home which is build 10240. After installing some updates, it's still showing v. 10240 while Microsoft has released build 10565. Do I have to do a re-install to get the latest fixes and features? 26756
  9. Enterprise - Windows Update Rant, Issues, Questions

Enterprise - Windows Update Rant, Issues, Questions: Currently stuck in Windows Update hell. So I originally came to this forum looking for advice because Windows Update just wouldn't install updates for me. I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise. It just kept getting stuck at preparing to install updates at 97%, before giving me an...
  10. More about observations than queries...........

More about observations than queries...........: I am not sure if I should post at Virtualization or here. Brief background........... I have a Dell laptop started with Vista > upgraded to Win 8 Pro (retail upgrade version)> Win 8.1 Pro > Win 10 Pro I have an Acer laptop started with Win 7 Home Premium > upgraded to...