Windows 10: About to upgrade XP to Win 10

Discus and support About to upgrade XP to Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am brand new to this forum, but impressed with the help available. I have purchased a 64 bit version of Win 10 Pro, and want to replace XP on my PC.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Brian Leeds, Feb 13, 2017.

1. About to upgrade XP to Win 10

I am brand new to this forum, but impressed with the help available. I have purchased a 64 bit version of Win 10 Pro, and want to replace XP on my PC.

To test out system / program compatibility before upgrading I installed Win 10, and activated it, on a removable HDD, and it boots up my system fine - although it does not 'see' my existing PC SATA drives when I look in Win 10 at 'This Computer'. Maybe because it is running from a USB HDD??

I really don't want to screw up my PC, or data on it, so before I finally 'press the button' and overwrite XP with Win 10 does anyone have any tips or advice on the best (and safest) way forward. Any help would be really appreciated.

:)

Brian Leeds, Feb 13, 2017
  2. marks1964 Win User

Upgrade Path

My question is about upgrading an old pc from Windows XP using the following path.

1) Clean install of Win XP (32 bit) OEM.

2) Upgrade to Win 7 (64 bit) with the upgrade disc (retail pack) - it is NOT the version for use as a clean install.

3) Upgrade to Win 10 (64 bit).

The hardware is capable of running Win 7 as all drivers are available.

marks1964, Feb 13, 2017
  3. INSTALLED WIN XP ON WIN 7 THEN UPGRADED TO WIN 10 TO RUN OLDER SOFTWARE

I INSTALLED WIN XP ON MY WIN 7 COMPUTER.

I THEN UPGRADED TO WIN 10

NOW THE WIN XP WILL NOT WORK?

SHOULD I REINSTALL WIN XP?

BRUCEPASCHKE, Feb 13, 2017
  4. HRC
    HRC Win User

About to upgrade XP to Win 10

Backup and do a clean install.

5. lx07 Win User
  6. Backup of all data is done. Do you reckon Win 10 will find all my drives when I install on PC drive rather than USB HD which it is on now?

7. lx07 Win User
    Yes. Almost certainly.

8. Bree New Member

Maybe, more likely that the file system isn't recognised or it is, but doesn't have a drive letter. It should still show up in Disk Management if that's the case.

9. Brian Leeds, Feb 13, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    How did you backup all of the data? I would highly recommend doing a complete image with Macrium Reflect for several reasons:

1. If everything fails catastrophically, you can restore the HDD back to it's fully functioning Windows XP state.

2. If you find that you need something running under XP that won't run in Windows 10, you can restore only the XP partition to free space you create on the HDD and dual boot, or run the XP backup inside Windows 10 as a virtual machine.

3. You can browse the Macrium Reflect image and retrieve single files from it if you need to.

Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Feb 13, 2017
  11. Thanks for this advice - I shall dowload it and create a backup of my system (C) drive (all my data is stored on 2 separate mirrored drives) so, as you say, I can restore it if everythig goes wrong!!

12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

By default all internal disks are marked offline with Windows To Go installs.
    This can easily be changed in Disk Management.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Feb 13, 2017
  13. AddRAM Win User

Not sure if it was said yet, but unplug all your other hard drives before installing any operating system.

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. About to upgrade XP to Win 10 - Similar Threads - upgrade

2. Since I upgraded to Windows 11 the pc is crashing periodically. I have looked in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Since I upgraded to Windows 11 the pc is crashing periodically. I have looked in the...: Occasionally the PC will reboot randomly. I looked in the eventvwr and found log files for each failure. There is no other information other than the PC rebooted without first closing down properly....
  3. Since I upgraded to Windows 11 the pc is crashing periodically. I have looked in the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Since I upgraded to Windows 11 the pc is crashing periodically. I have looked in the...: Occasionally the PC will reboot randomly. I looked in the eventvwr and found log files for each failure. There is no other information other than the PC rebooted without first closing down properly....
  4. The annoying upgrade to Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The annoying upgrade to Win 11: Is Microsoft TRYING to annoy...
  5. The annoying upgrade to Win 11

The annoying upgrade to Win 11: Is Microsoft TRYING to annoy...
  6. can someone help me upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can someone help me upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10?: i have a windows 8.1 fully updated since I manualaly installed the most recent update and I have the requirements to upgrade to windows 10 so i run the media creation tool and do the windows 10 install process but right when it fully finishes it says undoing changes i was...
  7. can someone help me upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10?

can someone help me upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10?: i have a windows 8.1 fully updated since I manualaly installed the most recent update and I have the requirements to upgrade to windows 10 so i run the media creation tool and do the windows 10 install process but right when it fully finishes it says undoing changes i was...
  8. can someone help me upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. PC keep restarting after BIOS update and upgrade CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC keep restarting after BIOS update and upgrade CPU: So i just upgrade from ryzen 5 3400G to ryzen 5 5500, before i replace the CPU i updated the BIOS. at first boot it works perfectly fine and suddenly the pc restart itself with no BSOD, i try to find out the problem using the event viewer but the only critical error is...
  10. PC keep restarting after BIOS update and upgrade CPU

PC keep restarting after BIOS update and upgrade CPU: So i just upgrade from ryzen 5 3400G to ryzen 5 5500, before i replace the CPU i updated the BIOS. at first boot it works perfectly fine and suddenly the pc restart itself with no BSOD, i try to find out the problem using the event viewer but the only critical error is...