Windows 10: AC Adapter or Faulty Battery?

Discus and support AC Adapter or Faulty Battery? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there! Well, after what it seem to be like my triumph against sudden reboots (probably I just needed to fasten some screws to get all in order) I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FerchogtX, Jun 26, 2018.

1. FerchogtX Win User

AC Adapter or Faulty Battery?

Hi there!

Well, after what it seem to be like my triumph against sudden reboots (probably I just needed to fasten some screws to get all in order) I have a little doubt, since always, I noticed that my laptop battery tends to "discharge" when I do extensive tasks, name it doing video encoding or streaming with the GPU encoder. In any case, seems like it discharges, and tries to charge back, but at a very slow rate, all of this, using the AC adapter.

I seldom use the battery as I'm always working on home, and plugged, but this obvious discharge cycles are wearing the battery (32% according to AIDA64).

I've been told in Acer forums that probably the AC adapter is not enough to keep up with giving power to the PC and keeping the charge of the battery, it's a 45 Watt AC charger, the original taht came with this PC, then I was told that in some parts this laptop was sold with the "for gamers" tag (It's a fast hardware, no doubt, but for gamers?... dunno) and this particular, while being the same model, had a 65 watt AC adapter instead of this one.

Now, the guy, very kindly, recommended me to better look for the 65 watt adapter, so this doesn't happen...

What I would want to know is if, this actually is because of the AC adapter, or because the battery is either faulty or temps (this last is kinda unlikely, it's strange but, when streaming, I don't notice any super high temps, it maxes to 65 C at most, sometimes is even less...)

In either case, I'm already hunting for a 64 watt charger and a replacement battery in case this one dies, but I wanted to still check with you in case I'm missing something here...

The laptop in question is an Aspire E5-553-1786, APU AMD A12 9700P, Radeon R7 (512 MB), a new HGST 1 TB 7200 RPM spinner, and... pretty much that is XD.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Cya!

:)

FerchogtX, Jun 26, 2018

2. I uninstalled Microsoft AC Adapter Driver by accident, PC won't start.

Try this:

Disconnect all power sources - AC and battery
    Press and hold the power button for 2 full minutes

Connect AC power only

You should be able to power up. Windows might not start because of the accidental deletion of the AC adapter driver
    but the machine should at least boot to firmware (BIOS)

If the box won't start at all, then I suspect a bad AC adapter - probably causing the charging issue as well.
    HP has a recall on some adapters - the power cord is replaced free of charge on ones that qualify.
    that's besides the point though

It's also possible that the AC connector on the board is faulty - not much you can do about that.
    An easy connector test is to very gently wiggle it.

See where you get with those suggestions

Slartybart, Jun 26, 2018
  3. johnlogan Win User
    I uninstalled Microsoft AC Adapter Driver by accident, PC won't start.

Thank you, gave it a try following your tips but no change, still does not power up.

My power source never had a loose contact problem before. Really, all these problems started after deleting the AC adapter.

Any other suggestions?

###

johnlogan, Jun 26, 2018
  4. AC Adapter or Faulty Battery?

battery to AC power?

Hi Patricia,

I would inform you that when a AC adapter is connected to a laptop, the battery gets charged till 100% and the connection between the AC adapter and battery is cut. After the battery is completely charged, laptop only uses AC supply.

The other option is to remove the battery and plug the AC Adapter. Now the laptop only uses AC supply.

However, if you want to disable battery charging while the AC adapter is connected, you have a option in Battery Meter (in Control Panel or click on battery icon on taskbar). Once you enable that option battery will stop charging
    even if the AC adapter is connected. Once you reboot the system, battery will automatically start charging normally.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 26, 2018
Thema:

AC Adapter or Faulty Battery?

1. AC Adapter or Faulty Battery? - Similar Threads - Adapter Faulty Battery

2. How to use AC Power Adapter instead of battery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use AC Power Adapter instead of battery: Hi,I have the *ASUS TUF F15 2021* I want to use this laptop while using the AC Power Adapter because it performs better than Battery mode while using the battery*So, is there a way to do that without decreasing the battery's lifespan?*...
  3. How to use AC Power Adapter instead of battery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to use AC Power Adapter instead of battery: Hi,I have the *ASUS TUF F15 2021* I want to use this laptop while using the AC Power Adapter because it performs better than Battery mode while using the battery*So, is there a way to do that without decreasing the battery's lifespan?*...
  4. Ac adapter

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Ac adapter: hello, i have dell inspiron 5559, my main battery is dead so i removed it, when i run the laptop using only the AC adapter it's running slower than when it was with the battery installed. I get a warning at the startup of windows alert the ac power adapter wattage and type...
  5. Asus Zenbook. Microsoft AC adapter. Battery issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Asus Zenbook. Microsoft AC adapter. Battery issue: Hi guys. I just bought Asus Zenbook and a few days ago I took the cable out and it stopped working. The laptop works only when it is plugged in.In Device Manager in batteries I saw only Microsoft ACPI, so I don't see Microsoft AC Adapter.Any advise on how to fix it? Thank...
  6. AC adapter and battery issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    AC adapter and battery issue: Why does my computer say low battery when it is plugged in and if I unplug the AC adapter the battery has a full charge? When the message appears the programs run slow. If I unplug the adapter for about 5 minutes said is a 0% charge, after that the battery is full. The...
  7. AC adapter and battery not detected or recognized

AC adapter and battery not detected or recognized: When starting the laptop the screen displays this " AC power not recognized and battery not charging". The jack plug was changed and instaled a new battery and the problem continues. what can I do to fix the issue?...
  8. Dell Laptop Battery Not Charging or Working off of AC Adapter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dell Laptop Battery Not Charging or Working off of AC Adapter: I have recently replaced my Dell XPS L702X battery this Christmas. I stopped using the computer for about 3 weeks and the battery no longer works. Windows says it has 96 percent and not charging but if I unplug it the power cuts immanently. I followed the manufacture's...
  9. ac adapter warning message; battery will not charge

ac adapter warning message; battery will not charge: Need a fix for ac adapter warning as the battery will not charge. Says to use a 45 w adapter, but that's what I have. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ac-adapter-warning-message-battery-will-not-charge/7e3d3e2b-37bd-48a8-abcf-a70096d1c4c9
  10. ac adapter for battery charger not charging

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ac adapter for battery charger not charging: my dell insprion 5551 ac adapter isn't charging by battery and I have tried all the suggestions that dell provided and still nothing. my battery is at 10%. I not had a problem till I remember month or 2 ago I reset my pc but ac adapter didn't get notice till month ago. when I...