Windows 10: Access Android phone/tablet from Windows Explorer

Discus and support Access Android phone/tablet from Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; According to Google search, if one turns on Remote Manager in ES File Explorer on an Android device, one could access it from Windows Explorer, by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by simple0, May 30, 2017.

1. simple0 Win User

Access Android phone/tablet from Windows Explorer

According to Google search, if one turns on Remote Manager in ES File Explorer on an Android device, one could access it from Windows Explorer, by creating a new Network Location (example: https://www.maketecheasier.com/acces...-from-windows/).
    Nevertheless, after I create the ftp network location for my Android phone, and I try to access it from Windows Explorer, I get this error message:

Access Android phone/tablet from Windows Explorer [​IMG]

However from any browser, if I enter L: ftp://192.168.155.104:3721, I am asked (the first time) the credentials setup in ES File Explorer for the phone, then the tree of the root established in Remote Manager (sdcard for example) is displayed. In Firefox and IE, I can even download files from the phone (Chrome gives an error when trying to download, saying it is not logged in to the server).
    The advantage for using Windows Explorer, supposedly, should be that files can be both downloaded and uploaded from/to the phone. That would be nice, except it does not work from any of my Windows 10 (or Windows 8.1) computers. I must add that accessing the Windows computers from the phone, for any file operations, works fine.
    I've already searched this forum, but I could not find a solution. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

:)

simple0, May 30, 2017

2. Synching a W10 tablet with a W10 laptop

I just got a W10 tablet but when I plug it in to my W10 laptop I don't see any reaction on the laptop. With an older Android tablet plugging it in would open a file explorer window so I could access the tablet directories from the laptop. Is there any
    way to do that with the new W10 tablet?

Jonathan613, May 30, 2017
  3. File transfer or view files on an android device

please help me transfer my media files from my nokia lumia 520 windows phone to my android tablet or tell me how to view media on android tablet.

I would appreciate a truthful and easily accessible answer.

Thank you

LeonJohnsonXX, May 30, 2017
  4. lvgandhi Win User

You can do it by connecting otg cable between phone and pc, you will get options screen in phone. select file transfer. You will see your phone in explorer.
    Or use asus file manager. When phone and pc are connected to same wifi, you will get a ip address in phone. use it on pc browser. Then you can upload to or download from phone using browser.

lvgandhi, May 30, 2017
  5. simple0 Win User
    @Ivgandi
    Thank you for your reply. I must not have expressed myself very clearly. I'm sorry for that. I was not looking for ways to transfer files from Windows computers to Android phones. I've been doing that for at least five years using ES File Manager on Android (and OTG cables before that). I was trying to find out WHY Windows Explorer, which is supposed to be a full FTP client (at least in the web pages like that I've pointed to), does not connect to the FTP server created on the Android phone by ES File Explorer. Thus while the ftp clients from IE and Firefox can access the same FTP server fine. Even more, FireFTP addon makes Firefox a full FTP client, being able to perform file operations in both directions, not only downloads from the Android phone/tablet.

Regarding Asus File Manager. I've just installed it on my phone. It does have "Network Places" under "Network Storage" where it discovers all the Windows computers on the same local network. Unlike ES File Explorer though, it shows only the existing visible shares on those computers. Since Windows 10, unlike previous versions of Windows, doesn't share anything by default, there is nothing to access. On previous versions of Windows, only the default Users share and any other visible shares are available and any installed printer shares.
    By contrast, ES File Explorer shows not only the visible shares, but ALSO the default hidden shares (ADMIN$, IPC$, C$, D$, etc..), if the connected user has admin rights on those computers. Consequently, unlike with Asus File Manager, with ES File Explorer, somebody with admin rights on the Windows computer(s), can access everything and perform any file operations between Android phone/tablet and PC.

ONLY the first time I run the Asus File Manager on my phone, a new location showed on my Windows 10 laptop. For whatever reason, it was named cingular_us. However, it didn't work (double clicking it didn't do anything). After rebooting the phone, the cingular_us, or any other location related to my Android phone, does not show anymore when Asus File Manager is running.

simple0, May 31, 2017
  6. simple0 Win User
    I think I figured out what's going on. It seems Windows Explorer supports only the FTP protocol (unencrypted). The FTP server created by ES File Explorer on the Android phone, is a SFTP server (FTP + SSH). There is a free extension for Windows Explorer named Swish. It should add SFTP capabilities to WE. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work in Windows 10 (at least for me). No matter what I enter in the Path field (the path to the folder where to first connect, like /mnt/sdcard for example), I get an access error:

Access Android phone/tablet from Windows Explorer [​IMG]

Swish is in alpha stage and development seems to have stopped at Windows 7.There are two commercial options, NetDrive and WebDrive, but I'm not going to spend money for software, when the free FireFTP for Firefox works fine.

simple0, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Access Android phone/tablet from Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Access Android phone

2. Windows on android tablet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows on android tablet: Hi, I have this ASUS android tablet specifically Asus memoPad 7. It has UEFI. Is it possible to install windows on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-on-android-tablet/ab63a90f-8802-416d-abf0-b25c33726a88
  3. Windows 10 Memo - Android Phone & Tablet Synchronization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Memo - Android Phone & Tablet Synchronization: Greetings!I'm having a bit of a problem in sharing the Memo with one of my Android Devices.Upon installing OneNote from the Google Playstore on my OnePlus 8T, I was pleased to see that all my synched notes where present on my phone for me to read, delete and modify.Recently I...
  4. Windows 10 Memo - Android Phone & Tablet Synchronization

Windows 10 Memo - Android Phone & Tablet Synchronization: Greetings!I'm having a bit of a problem in sharing the Memo with one of my Android Devices.Upon installing OneNote from the Google Playstore on my OnePlus 8T, I was pleased to see that all my synched notes where present on my phone for me to read, delete and modify.Recently I...
  5. Connect PC/Android Phone AND Android Tablet ALSO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connect PC/Android Phone AND Android Tablet ALSO: I am a MS 365 subscriber and utilize MS Office products on my OnePlus 7T android phone and on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 tablet. I have been using MightyText to send and receive SMS/MMS messages on my tablet AND via a Chrome extension on my PC. I have recently tried MS Your...
  6. Connect PC/Android Phone AND Android Tablet ALSO

Connect PC/Android Phone AND Android Tablet ALSO: I am a MS 365 subscriber and utilize MS Office products on my OnePlus 7T android phone and on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 tablet. I have been using MightyText to send and receive SMS/MMS messages on my tablet AND via a Chrome extension on my PC. I have recently tried MS Your...
  7. Copying files to Android Tablet (or phone)

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying files to Android Tablet (or phone): I am trying to copy a folder with several files inside DCIM folder of Android destination device. If I interrupt copy and resume afterwards Windows 10 tells me some files already exist with same name. If I choose not to copy and put a checkmark on "do the same for all...
  8. access denied on android phone

in Windows 10 Support
    access denied on android phone: hi looking for help please I have win 10 64 bit on dell OptiPlex, cannot transfer files from android phone to pc it comes up with access denied message it works fine for the other way round i.e. from pc to phone . it seems the problem is the pc as it works fine on my laptop...
  9. Teamviewer Quick Support for android phones/tablets

Teamviewer Quick Support for android phones/tablets: I wonder how many are aware of Teamviewer Quick Support that allows certain supported models of android/mobile phone to be FULLY remote controlled from a PC or even another phone/tablet. Supported phones (newer models mostly) are Samsung Motorola LG Sony Acer Asus...
  10. Accessing files on Android phone from Network in Windows File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing files on Android phone from Network in Windows File Explorer: I'd like to access the files on my Android 7 (Nougat) Samsung S5 phone via Windows Explorer, presumably in Network (previously known as Network Locations?). Is that possible? 83436