Windows 10: Access Denied: System Volume Information

Discus and support Access Denied: System Volume Information in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am the administrator with UAC disabled (via registry) What's the deal here? You can unhide system files but cannot edit them? Very useful, I hope... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Culbrelai, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Culbrelai Win User

Access Denied: System Volume Information

I am the administrator with UAC disabled (via registry)

What's the deal here? You can unhide system files but cannot edit them? Very useful, I hope I am missing something...

Access Denied: System Volume Information [​IMG]

:)

Culbrelai, Jun 26, 2017

2. windows 10 photos app not showing pictrues

it gives me an error

Access Denied - X:\System Volume Information

MAnjeet Rohilla, Jun 26, 2017
  3. Nived R Win User
    Personal files now missing on Windows 10 bootable USB, after entering Advanced Start-up mode.

Hi Robelene,

I receive the error: Access denied - E:\System Volume Information when following your instructions.

Nived

Nived R, Jun 26, 2017
  4. LMiller7 Win User

The "System Volume Information" folder was first introduced in Windows 2000. Even then an Administrator account had no access. At that time admin level accounts were always elevated. Even the built in Administrator account had no access. This remains the same in Windows 10.

In later versions of Windows there are other folders with restricted access.

When you consider the fact that even novices are using an admin level account granting full and unrestricted access to such an account would clearly be a bad idea. By default all software you run has the same rights the account as the users account. That means malware would also have full access.

The "System Volume Information" folder contains system restore points, previous versions of files, and other critical information. Some of this is only partially documented. Improper modification of such contents could have serious consequences.

An elevated admin account can grant themselves full access to everything if it is required. But they had better know what they are doing. Even experts can go wrong here.

Edit: Disabling UAC is a bad idea. There are many things that will not work and there may be further restrictions in later updates. This is by design and not a bug. Security will also be compromised. Using a full time administrator account may have been acceptable when XP was released in 2001. In 2017 it is just too dangerous. Windows 10 was not designed to work this way.

LMiller7, Jun 26, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Just to add to what LMiller7 is saying. Here are the typical files is System Volume Information. The $MRCBT is a Macrium Reflect object, and is only there if you use the product. The rest are critical system files. They should not be mucked with!

Access Denied: System Volume Information [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Access Denied: System Volume Information - Similar Threads - Access Denied System

2. System Volume Information

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Volume Information: Hi.These files appeared in the System Volume Information system folder and they are not deleted.If they are harmful viruses, then how to remove them?I'm attaching a screenshot....
  3. System Volume Information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Volume Information: Hi.These files appeared in the System Volume Information system folder and they are not deleted.If they are harmful viruses, then how to remove them?I'm attaching a screenshot....
  4. ' System Volume Information '

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ' System Volume Information ': Hey guys! hope ya'll having a great day. i actually have a problem with partitioning disks. I want to make a 150 gb partition for dual boot. but its not letting me split more than 70 gb whereas I have 370 gb of free space. I surfed through number of videos and a guy said its...
  5. ' System Volume Information '

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ' System Volume Information ': Hey guys! hope ya'll having a great day. i actually have a problem with partitioning disks. I want to make a 150 gb partition for dual boot. but its not letting me split more than 70 gb whereas I have 370 gb of free space. I surfed through number of videos and a guy said its...
  6. system Volume Information

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system Volume Information: Hi Please assist Approximately 2 weeks ago,Microsoft Came into my Computer & Downloaded the Lastest Version of Windows 10 Before that downloaded the latest Version of Windows 10 I Had 1-C Drive & 1-D Drive for storage Now I Have C Drive,F Drive System Reserve + G Drive &...
  7. System Volume Information

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Volume Information: Since last update 20H2 this folders appears in my Downloads directory. The folder is empty. I tried to delete the System Volume Information folder but it returns when I reboot my pc. Hope you can help me. Regards submitted by /u/yayyy_amd [link] [comments]...
  8. System Volume Information

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Volume Information: I make my backups in D drive and have turned the system protection off from the control panel. I backup using the windows 7 backup and restore from the control panel . The issue that whenever I do it the System Volume Info folder in the E drive starts filling automatically....
  9. System Volume Information

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Volume Information: Is it possible to consolidate the System Volume Information on my HDD, it is currently spread in quite a few places on my hard drive and wish to consolidate it all into one place on my HDD, Is this possible?...
  10. System volume information

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    System volume information: A friend of mine put my pendrive into his pc, after inserting it into pc later I found a fold named system volume information, curiously I clicked on the file in the folder and there was a pop up like command prompt,then nothing happened. After a while all my desktop apps...