Windows 10: Access denied to external hdd since updates installed

Discus and support Access denied to external hdd since updates installed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My issue is basically the same as some old posts and I have tried all suggestions with no luck. I am running Win 10 recently updated with a Western... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by vamainiac, Sep 27, 2016.

1. vamainiac Win User

Access denied to external hdd since updates installed

My issue is basically the same as some old posts and I have tried all suggestions with no luck.

I am running Win 10 recently updated with a Western Digital external T2 hdd. My explorer view sees the drive on my network, however access is denied telling me to see my administrator. WD Quick View identifies the external drive as well as data contained on it with no luck to access. I have tried different cables, connections, etc with no luck. I tried adding line in regedit to take control of hdd and sub folders with no luck. This denial is recent, probably within the past 5 days following updates installed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks much --

:)

vamainiac, Sep 27, 2016
  2. Ken 1948 Win User

backup cant access external hdd after creators update

after upgrading to creators update backup software is denied access to external wd hdd. I can access files on the external hdd using explorer

Ken 1948, Sep 27, 2016
  3. hackps Win User
    Cannot access music saved on external hard drive

Since I installed windows 10 it has denied me access to music on an external hardrive that I downloaded years before.

hackps, Sep 27, 2016
  4. Access denied to external hdd since updates installed

I really hate those "See you administrator" messages. I've found that looking in a mirror usually does no good at all. How many home users have an "administrator" other than themselves or another another (equally ignorant) family member? Having administrator privileges doesn't mean I know anything!

I gather this external drive is a NAS or a USB-connected drive since you say it appears on your network (and QuickView doesn't show much for USB-attached drives). It might help to know the exact wording of the error message. Is this problem related to invalid network credentials or something more basic - something relating to physical access?

I'm sure that people that know more will come up with better questions to ask.

pokeefe0001, Sep 28, 2016
  5. vamainiac Win User
    Thanks for the reply - I agree with you. I know the administrator and he can't figure it out.

Here is a screenshot (I hope) of the error message. Also, I hate to admit that I don't know what NAS means, but I have it attached via CAT-6, changed the cable and even tried USB.

Access denied to external hdd since updates installed [​IMG]

vamainiac, Sep 28, 2016
  6. NAS= Network Attached Storage, i.e., something like MyBookLive *Smile. And boy, does this look familiar! I just fixed it last weekend after a clean install on my wife's laptop. Too bad I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it.

First thing: go to the Network and Sharing Center / Change advances sharing settings. Make sure you see "Private (current profile)". If it is "Public" MyBookLive will not connect correctly. And If it is "Public", you had better search the web for how to make it "Private". I had to do this on my wife's laptop just last weekend and I've already forgotten. (I do remember than User Account Control cannot be set to its maximum setting for this to work. You have to set it lower while these network changes are made. Afterwards you can set it to max and everything still works. I have no idea why.)

Once you have "Private (current profile)", make sure "Turn on network discovery" and "Turn on file and printer sharing".

Things may start working then. If not, make sure you have not disabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP for your Ethernet interface.
    Go back to Network and Sharing Center /Change adapter settings. Double-click your adapter to get to Ethernet Statuc. Select Properties. Double-click TCP/IPv4. Click Advanced. Select the WINS tab. (You're finally there!) Look at the NetBIOS settings. If Windows gets its TCP/IP addr using DHCP, "Default" is probably the best setting although "Enable" will work. If your Windows has a static IP addr you will have to select "Enable" because it is disabled by default.

If none of that helps, someone else will have to help because I've exhausted my knowledge.

pokeefe0001, Sep 28, 2016
  7. vamainiac Win User
    Wow -- for someone that can't remember..... Thank you VERY much. I have a MyBookLive and can now access my folders and data. I followed your directions, then made my pc discoverable, private became the current profile; voila, presto, wink and a nod, Bob's your Uncle, I'm in.

Thanks again for the help. Now hopefully, I won't do anything to reset or modify those settings in the future.

vamainiac, Sep 28, 2016
  8. Access denied to external hdd since updates installed

Glad you got it fixed. Be aware that you may have the problem again if you ever have to do a clean reinstall.

pokeefe0001, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Access denied to external hdd since updates installed

1. Access denied to external hdd since updates installed - Similar Threads - Access denied external

2. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied on external HDD: I have games and files on an external HDD with 750GB capacity. I was using it yesterday and now I try opening it and I see "access denied" before that there were corrupted files that I fixed using CMD command line chkdsk /f d: , I also did the DISM and sfc /scannow . I watch...
  3. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access denied on external HDD: I have games and files on an external HDD with 750GB capacity. I was using it yesterday and now I try opening it and I see "access denied" before that there were corrupted files that I fixed using CMD command line chkdsk /f d: , I also did the DISM and sfc /scannow . I watch...
  4. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. External drive - Access denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive - Access denied: Trying to use my drive like I normally do but when I connect it, it goes in and out like noises of it connecting and disconnecting noises. When I go to disk management and make sure it's initialized it says access denied, tried unplugging and replugging and the drive will...
  6. Access denied to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access denied to external drive: I have a high capacity NTFS formatted external drive that gives me Access denied error. I previously had it permanently plugged into one of these, although infrequently used, and recently encountered this problem. I have attempted all remedies I could find, on this and...
  7. access denied to external hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    access denied to external hdd: I have an HP desktop with a ssd for a boot drive and I have been using an external hdd as my write to drive. An update caused BSOD and I had to do a fresh install of win 10, now I get the access denied 0x80070005 code when I try to change where new content is saved. All...
  8. Write access denied on External HDD

Write access denied on External HDD: When I try to copy anything to my WD passport external HDD, it says "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file" and when I click continue, it just asks me to try again. But this does not happen when I boot in safe mode. Here's what I've tried so far:...
  9. No access to external HDD

No access to external HDD: Just over a week ago I posted the below problem of inability to access my external HDD. I had one response from someone who asked me to send a mailshot of my Disk Management. This failed on my first attempt but was successful on the second. Despite sending him/her a...
  10. Access denied to entire HDD

Access denied to entire HDD: I recently reinstalled windows on a new SSD, but still have my old HDD attached for storage purposes. Once I formatted the old HDD I no longer have any permissions with it despite being the sole user and administrator on the computer. I have tried changing ownership like many...