Windows 10: Access denied to folders and files

Discus and support Access denied to folders and files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Runnin win 10 since 2 weeks. Trying to copy all files from external HD to new second internal HD. some files copied no problem, other files and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Aphugel, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Aphugel Win User

Access denied to folders and files

Runnin win 10 since 2 weeks.
    Trying to copy all files from external HD to new second internal HD.
    some files copied no problem, other files and folders will either not copy (administrator rights) or are outright "access denied".
    All are films, no programs.
    I got full administrator rights, only one account, turned on all file sharing it will let me.
    Never had the problem with win 7.
    This is non-trivial. I got full admin rights.

How can I access my files?

:)

Aphugel, Aug 21, 2015
  2. slance310 Win User

I am denied access to the Folders (and files) on my External Hard Drive

Hi,

You're welcome... glad that resolved your problem..

slance310, Aug 21, 2015
  3. slance310 Win User
    I am denied access to the Folders (and files) on my External Hard Drive

Hi,

This might have been caused by a Microsoft Account on your laptop, and not on your Desktop... But this might work to change ownership...

It is possible to Change Ownership of any drive, folder, or file (Exceptions with some system files) by right clicking on it, select Properties, and then the Security Tab at the top.

It is also possible to modify permissions, and add a user with permissions. This may be good enough to solve your problem, but you may need to change OWNERSHIP...which I always do on my machine.

Change Ownership and add OwnerName as a USER

Select Security Tab and then ADVANCED at the bottom.

Here you can edit the permissions for existing users and\or add another..

Click "CHANGE" next to Owner at the top of the window...

Select...

1) Advanced

2) Find Now

3) Select User from list...Your user name, or any you want to add.

4) check the box "Replace Owner On Subcontainers and Objects"

5) Hit "Apply"

Close out of all of the open windows and start over with the Advanced button...

1) select "ADD" near the bottom

2) select "Select A Principal" at the top...

3) Advanced

4) Find Now

5) Select User from list...Your user name, or any you want to add.

6) Give the new user\owner full permissions...

7) Do Not check the box "Include Inheritable Permissions From This Object's Parent""

8) Select "Apply"...

You may also want to delete any User that looks strange...

There is a selection for User and Owner for "Everyone"... but you may need to take Ownership of the drive with your User Account before you can change it to anyone... Just to get sufficient permission to do so...

If you see an option to "Disable Inheritance" select it, and then choose the top option on the screen that pops up...

slance310, Aug 21, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 22, 2015
  5. Aphugel Win User
    ok, once I understood that I have to download the context menu bit, it worked.

thanks.

Just asking: WHY? How many thousand people are out there and are totally stumped by this? Do not know what is going on, do not know whom to ask or what to do. I'm a little computer literate. The vast majority of computer users are totally illiterate.

So, pooh with sticks on, MS.

Aphugel, Aug 22, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

The issues is that since the drive was formatted using NTFS, it will have the permissions enforced from the PC the files were originally saved from.

Brink, Aug 22, 2015
  7. vamainiac Win User
    My issue is basically the same as these and I have tried all suggestions with no luck.

Win 10 recently updated with a Western Digital external T2 hdd. My explorer view sees the drive on my network, however access is denied telling me to see my administrator. WD Quick View identifies the external drive as well as data contained on it with no luck to access. I have tried different cables, connections, etc with no luck. I tried adding line in regedit to take control of hdd and sub folders with no luck. This denial is recent, probably within the past 5 days following updates installed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks much --

vamainiac, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Access denied to folders and files - Similar Threads - Access denied folders

2. Denied Folder Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Denied Folder Access: I am the sole administrator on my computer and there are also no other users, and when I click "security tab", it won't let me configure user access. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/denied-folder-access/e4b38c4a-8106-4783-96d4-8c2c6a35f528
  3. Denied Folder Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Denied Folder Access: I am the sole administrator on my computer and there are also no other users, and when I click "security tab", it won't let me configure user access. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/denied-folder-access/e4b38c4a-8106-4783-96d4-8c2c6a35f528
  4. Folder Access Denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Access Denied: When I try to delete an old windows 10 download it keeps saying "You require permission from DESKTOP-Name\my name to make changes to this folder. I already have take ownership of everything in it. But I still can't delete anything. [IMG]...
  5. Folder Access Denied

Folder Access Denied: I have a folder under Users/<Me>/Pictures that I need to rename but am unable to. I get the following error: [ATTACH] NOTE: I am this user and also "own" the folder: [ATTACH] How do I resolve this? Any ideas?...
  6. Folder Access Denied

Folder Access Denied: Hi, I keep receiving a pop-up box that tells me I need permission to perform this action. Why am I getting this when I am signed in as administrator? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-access-denied/c4b15789-9e65-47ab-afe0-04de0692824a
  7. Deny Access To Folder and Files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Deny Access To Folder and Files: Hi, I want to deny total access to the folder, its subfolders and its contents. There are many files in the folder. But only the folder is processed. What is wrong with this command line? icacls "C:\Users\John\Pictures\Folder" /deny "John":(RX,W) /t /c I even tried :...
  8. folder access denied

folder access denied: Quand j'essaie d'ouvrir certains dossiers il m'est impossible d’accéder car je reçois le message "Vous ne disposez pas des autorisations requises pour accéder a ce dossier"...
  9. Deleting files/folders access denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting files/folders access denied: Ok I have a flash drive connected to my network directly inserted into my router. After much research and toying with the settings I finally got it to show up in Windows File Explorer and it appears under "THIS PC" as one of my drives on the "NETWORK" and when I view...
  10. Folder Access Denied

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Folder Access Denied: I recently tried to change my Username from the default first five letters of my email address by following one of Shawn Brinks tutorials. After three or four failed attempts I gave up and am stuck with the default which is C:\ User\grtat. I will probably return to that in...