Windows 10: Access desktop in Tablet mode?

Discus and support Access desktop in Tablet mode? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am upgrading from 8 on a PC I used as a media center. The metro start screen was great for using on a TV. In Windows 10 however it seems the only way... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by protivakid, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Access desktop in Tablet mode?

I am upgrading from 8 on a PC I used as a media center. The metro start screen was great for using on a TV. In Windows 10 however it seems the only way to have this be the default boot screen is to enable "Tablet Mode". I am fine with this however when in Tablet Mode it seems access is blocked to the regular old desktop? Pressing the start key does not switch between the two like it did on 8.

Any way to view the regular desktop when in Tablet Mode? Or away way to use regular mode but have the metro start screen be the default view after boot?

Thanks!

:)

protivakid, Jul 7, 2016

2. where is the recycle bin in windows 10 located?

Hi MummaLee -- you are correct. No desktop icons are visible when you are in Tablet Mode (in fact, the desktop itself is not accessible in tablet mode, because tablet computers don't have desktops).

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jul 7, 2016
  3. Metro apps transfer and marketplace update

Developers have the option of creating applications for both the phone and the tablet/desktop that have access to the same set of data. Either platform can take advantage of Skydrive for syncing data. This would also allow some one to go from phone to
    phone, tablet to tablet, or tablet to phone an access their same data.

For this to work the developer would need to make both a phone application and a desktop application that take advantage of this feature.

Joel Ivory Johnson, Jul 7, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Access desktop in Tablet mode?

Welcome to the forum protivakid.
    Open Action Centre and click on Tablet Mode....to go back to Desktop mode click again on Tablet Mode.
    In other words toggle it.

dencal, Jul 7, 2016
  5. Do I have to enable / disable tablet mode each time I boot to see the desktop? In Windows 8 this just worked. Not sure why 10 is so difficult. Any registry tweak to correct this?

protivakid, Jul 7, 2016
  6. You can enable full screen start menu in the settings and leave tablet mode off, this is the closest you can get to how 8 did it

Dont think there are any tweaks to get desktop with tablet mode on, would be nice to have as an option though

paulsalter, Jul 7, 2016
  7. I saw that option but then the default boot screen is the desktop not the full start menu.... so far my experience with 10 has been rough. Boot seems slower than 8 on the particular pc, and to change windows update settings to only download when I say I had to edit some hidden policy as I couldn't find the option to do it from Windows update. I see Microsoft made 10 easy for computer dummies but seems to have forgotten about power users.

protivakid, Jul 7, 2016
  8. Access desktop in Tablet mode?

There is an option to show app icons on taskbar when in tablet mode

While in non tablet mode, right click taskbar and select Toolbars, place a tick next to the Desktop one
    Now switch to Tablet mode, you should have a shortcut on the taskbar for all desktop items

Not sure if this would work for you?

paulsalter, Jul 7, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I mentioned this over a year ago when Windows 10 first came out.

Solved How do I make the start screen the default when first logging in - Windows 10 Forums

Submit a feedback to Microsoft that you would like an option to launch the start menu when starting Windows. I'll submit one too when I get home tonight. I have one computer that I would like to start in the start menu vice desktop, and I don't want to have to turn tablet mode on to do it because I just don't like anything else at all about tablet mode.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Access desktop in Tablet mode?

1. Access desktop in Tablet mode? - Similar Threads - Access desktop Tablet

2. Windows 11 desktop stuck in tablet mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 desktop stuck in tablet mode: I recently got a new windows 11 desktop computer and I can’t get it out of tablet mode. I have a rog ally on my windows account that uses tablet mode and the new system seems to be using that for settings even though I selected my old pc when setting up Windows It takes the...
  3. Windows 11 desktop stuck in tablet mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 desktop stuck in tablet mode: I recently got a new windows 11 desktop computer and I can’t get it out of tablet mode. I have a rog ally on my windows account that uses tablet mode and the new system seems to be using that for settings even though I selected my old pc when setting up Windows It takes the...
  4. Windows 11 Tablet Mode on Desktop with touchscreen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Tablet Mode on Desktop with touchscreen: Hello!I have a kitchen workstation PC that does not have a connected keyboard or mouse. I used to have Windows 10 on it and it had the convenient feature of turning on "Tablet Mode" in the system tray. I tried Windows 11, but that doesn't seem to be available anymore. I read...
  5. Start button switches to tablet mode and desktop mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button switches to tablet mode and desktop mode: I have an HP laptop. Windows is up to date. I have recently switched to running in desktop mode but when i left click the start button instead of getting the start menu it switches to tablet mode. How do i fix this? Ive searched everywhere. if i right click it brings up...
  6. what is the difference between tablet mode and desktop mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    what is the difference between tablet mode and desktop mode: what is the difference between tablet mode and desktop mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference-between-tablet-mode-and/8c87c268-ef51-40ab-a143-66b0da01d2de
  7. Getting back to desktop mode from tablet mode.

Getting back to desktop mode from tablet mode.: I have a Lenova 2 in 1 ideapad with Windows 10. When I switched from tablet back to laptop my desktop will not change back to desktop mode with a start up menu and items showing that i had saved to desktop. I figured out how to get taskbar items back....
  8. switched to tablet mode and my desktop is gone

switched to tablet mode and my desktop is gone: what happened to my desktop. I cant see or find anything I had saved to it. I need those items. I switched to tablet mode and my desktop is gone. it flahes underneath the windows 10 but goes away and I cant get to it....
  9. See my Desktop Area in Tablet Mode

See my Desktop Area in Tablet Mode: Hi! I keep a number of documents on my desktop since it's the easiest place to find them (I usually archive them on a folder once I'm done). For that reason, seeing my desktop area is something I do often. However, I use my Surface Pro in tablet mode from time to time, but...
  10. Are Moden Apps the same in desktop mode as tablet mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are Moden Apps the same in desktop mode as tablet mode?: My apologies if this question seems basic, but I really am confused. I'm trying to understand why I would want to use tablet mode. Apart from the minimize, maximize and "x" buttons found in desktop mode. Aren't the modern tile apps that you can launch straight from the...