Windows 10: Access point data usage

Discus and support Access point data usage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 8.1 had a very useful feature - you could always monitor the amount of data used on a specific access point. This proved to be very valuable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jur4sic, Sep 14, 2015.

1. jur4sic Win User

Access point data usage

Windows 8.1 had a very useful feature - you could always monitor the amount of data used on a specific access point. This proved to be very valuable when tethering over my phone. In Windows 10 I can't find this any more. The whole wifi menu seems to be a downgrade rather than an upgrade from the previous version. To set a metered connection you have to go into advanced network settings. Is this an advanced feature? I don't think so - this is 2015 and we have 4g with limited data plans.

:)

jur4sic, Sep 14, 2015
  2. satyam384 Win User

Whatsapp keeps using Data Connection. Any solution?

You are right regarding settings.But there is no way to disable the way of mobile data usage by whatsapp Access point data usage :)

The only way is you can delete all access point settings so that it will not use mobile data.

****Note : Do this only if you dont have a data plan in your sim. ****

satyam384, Sep 14, 2015
  3. packet data access point

that will work. You only need to change if you need to have always on (highly unlikley) or if you are using modem dial up and need to specify access point for that.

If you using Nokia One Touch access then you don't even need to define access point in this menu as that application will take care of it for you.

All other network aware applications will use access point settings as defined in settings menu.

jacobsladder---01, Sep 14, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 14, 2015
  6. jur4sic Win User
    Thanks for the replies, but I've already seen these poor options Microsoft gave me with Windows 10. They buried the Metered Connection - fine I can dig that out myself. But the simplified data usage is not enough - it only shows the recent 30 days of all wifi traffic. That's including my workplace AP, my home AP and my mobile hotspost AP. There is no way to customize these statistics.

The more I work with Windows 10 the less excited I am about it. Features removed, battery draining during sleep and other small glitches. I'm sure there will be more.

jur4sic, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Access point data usage

1. Access point data usage - Similar Threads - Access point data

2. Data Usage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data Usage: Hi. Just want a info for this System's Data Usage. Is this really normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-usage/312cb68c-c89d-4270-82f3-5e4d0cdc668c
  3. Data usage

Data usage: I recently discovered that "System" is using a lot of data on my computer. I looked at a question somebody else asked that was the same as my question. Somebody suggested restricting the "regsvr32.exe" application from using data to fix the problem. My question it, what bad...
  4. Data Usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Data Usage: Where I live there is a data cap and I was charged over 100$ for overage... Microsoft Corp is 79%of the data usage.... Being on metered obviously is just for show and no you cant disable those updates which are huge and using your data to do it nevermind using your data to...
  5. Data usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Data usage: I am using microsoft windows 10. I have read how to stop data usage by the system. But in the 5 th step it is written to chose option 2. But in option 2 it is written notify for download and auto install. So i was not able to compete the process. And now also i have the same...
  6. How to access data usage for custom range on already existing data usage on Windows 10?

How to access data usage for custom range on already existing data usage on Windows 10?: I have data usage logged on my Windows 10 laptop at: Windows Settings → Network & Internet → Data Usage. [ATTACH] What I'm trying to do is instead of getting data usage for the last 30 days, I want to get data usage for custom time range. e.g. from 15-Mar to 3-April....
  7. data usage

data usage: Hello, someone to kindly help me set up my Lenovo Yoga 11e running windows 10 professional. It's consuming way too much data from my mobile hotspot. I've done various settings such as turning live tiles off, disabling automatic updates, setting connections metered and even...
  8. DATA USAGE

DATA USAGE: I am checking my Wi-Fi Data Usage, and it currently shows 916 MB Usage from the Last Day. And when I click on "View Usage per App", the Data Usage amount totals nowhere near 916 MB. (i.e. Chrome shows 178 MB Data usage and Microsoft Edge shows 28 MB Data Usage). Why the...
  9. Data usage

in Windows 10 Customization
    Data usage: How avoid data use to system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-usage/3967634c-05fb-4546-af94-d29c8bcfdb88
  10. Data Usage

Data Usage: Was hoping of some help. When I go into my network settings and click data usage, it tells me 232 GB of ethernet, but when I open up the usage details, the app usage only totals 40 GB when added up. Can anyone explain why there would be such a huge discrepancy? Just for...