Windows 10: Access printer on mixed network XP and Windows 10

Discus and support Access printer on mixed network XP and Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I have a mixed network. Some PCs running windows 10 upgraded from 7, and some running XP Pro. Before I upgraded the Windows 7 machines to Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ggeoff, Sep 27, 2015.

1. ggeoff Win User

Access printer on mixed network XP and Windows 10

Hi

I have a mixed network. Some PCs running windows 10 upgraded from 7, and some running XP Pro. Before I upgraded the Windows 7 machines to Windows 10 I could access the printer from the XP Pro and the Windows 7 PCs.

My printer is an Epson Stylus Photo R2400. It is connected to a Windows 10 PC. It is shared and I can print from the Windows 10 computers. I had to download drivers to get the printer to work though.

Although I can print from my Windows 10 PCs I cannot see the files on the printer PC. When I try to access files on the PC that has the printer attached, the User folder contains: Default, Default.migrated and desktop.ini. I think that all the files on the printer PC are shared. When I right click on a file I get the sub menu with the option to Stop Sharing.

The Add Printer Wizard on the XP PC finds the printer but wants me to connect to the printer via a User name and Password. If I add my login details that I use to login to the printer PC I get a warning message: "The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials. Overwriting the existing set of credentials may cause some running applications to stop function (sic) properly. Do you really want to overwrite the existing set of credentials?"

Since I can access the printer from the other PCs that are running Windows 10 I am reluctant to risk damage to what I have running properly by overwriting something.

:)

ggeoff, Sep 27, 2015

2. Folder and printer sharing no longer working since upgrading to Windows 10

I have a Brother HL-2240D printer connected to my main computer via a USB port. The computer was running Windows 8.1. I shared the printer and added it to a Windows XP computer on my home network. I then upgraded the Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 10. I
    plugged in a new Windows 10 computer on my network and tried to add the shared printer. It sees my other Windows 10 computer but not the printer and I cannot add it. I went back to the Windows XP computer and although the shared printer is still listed, it
    cannot no longer connect to it.

I checked the computer with the printer and it is still configured to be shared. The sharing options for the current profile (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings) are to set to “Turn on file and printer
    sharing”.

In addition, I have several shared folders on my main Windows 10 computer. The Windows XP computer had those shared folders mapped as drive letters. They can no longer be accessed. The new Windows 10 computer cannot map network folders on the main computer
    (it does not see the main computer but it does see the Windows XP computer).

Folders shared on the Windows XP computer and the new Windows 10 computer are accessible from the old Windows 10 computer so the loss of access is only one direction (the other computers cannot get into the main Windows 10 computer but the main Windows 10
    computer can access going out to the other computers).

What needs to be done so the other computers can access the shared printer and shared folders on the main Windows 10 computer?

Thanks to anybody who can help me out.

BarryKoopersmith, Sep 27, 2015
  3. Problems linking printers on small home network

I have a small private network with three PC’s running Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Home and Windows XP Pro.

Printers attached to PC’s are:

Win 10 Pro – HP Deskjet 4645

Win 10 Home – HP Deskjet 5610

XP Pro – HP Photosmart 8450

Can access any of the printers on the network from either of the two Win 10 PC’s, but cannot access any printers from the XP machine on either of the Win 10 PC’s when trying to link these printers for use on the XP machine. . Keeps asking for a username
    and password? There are no individual passwords on the PC’s, and I have checked that password request is off and file sharing is on for both Win 10 PC’s.

Anybody that can help, this is driving me nuts!!

Did not have this problem prior to upgrading to Windows 10. the two current windows 10 PC's were previously running Windows 7 PRO and Windows Home.

Joe van Gent, Sep 27, 2015
Thema:

Access printer on mixed network XP and Windows 10

1. Access printer on mixed network XP and Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Access printer mixed

2. Windows update blocking network printer access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update blocking network printer access: A recent Windows update is not allowing workstations to print to a network printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-blocking-network-printer-access/ed2e38c9-cabe-4d06-b23a-f672372e3568
  3. Windows update blocking network printer access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update blocking network printer access: A recent Windows update is not allowing workstations to print to a network printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-blocking-network-printer-access/ed2e38c9-cabe-4d06-b23a-f672372e3568
  4. Windows 10 and Epson printer XP-2100

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 and Epson printer XP-2100: I have been trying to install an Epson XP-2100 onto my laptop on Windows 10. It refuses to accept download of the driver from Epson and states local spooler not running. I have tried to sort this but the service list shows no problem with printer spooler. However there is a...
  5. Windows 10 can’t access printer on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 can’t access printer on network: Hello, Could someone please offer advice on this issue? There are four PCs all running Win 10. Each PC is connected to the same private wifi network. One PC has a printer directly connected to it via an ethernet cable. Two of the other PCs can find this printer either...
  6. My Networked Printer on Win10 no longer works in Windows XP

My Networked Printer on Win10 no longer works in Windows XP: I have 2 computers, Win10 & WinXP & 2 printers, an HP printer connected to Win10 thru ethernet & an Epson wirelessly. I was having problems in Win10, & you've helped me solve this in thread "HP Officejet printer keeps going offline only on Windows 10".I had no problems with...
  7. cannot access network printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cannot access network printer: wireless printer is installed but is not recognized by computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-access-network-printer/f20d6499-3dd9-45d9-9e7a-032e339f1288
  8. Access to network printers etc...

in Browsers and Email
    Access to network printers etc...: When trying to add some of my network printers the process never found any. I was doing this vial the control panel's to add new printers. I have three printers on my network and they cannot be found. How to I get around this problem? I am, however, able to access net work...
  9. File sharing having trouble mixed XP, XP virtual, and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    File sharing having trouble mixed XP, XP virtual, and Windows 10: I have a Hyper-V virtual instance of Windows XP running under Windows 10. The network share from the Windows 10 side is failing to be usable under the XP instance due to a "you lack permission to access". I have a few other XP machines on the network that are able to...
  10. How to access a network printer without installing it in Windows 10

How to access a network printer without installing it in Windows 10: Greetings all. We have a number of networked barcode printers set up and shared on a Windows 2012 server. They all use the Generic/Text Only driver. In Windows 7 we are able to print to these printers by specifying the UNC path in our application, such as L:...