Windows 10: Access to a computer hard drive without sharing.

Discus and support Access to a computer hard drive without sharing. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; have you ever tried this on your windows explorer? \\Machine Name\username\volume$ after this windows will ask for username and password. and guess... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by injaneb, Jul 21, 2016.

1. injaneb Win User

Access to a computer hard drive without sharing.

have you ever tried this on your windows explorer?
    \\Machine Name\username\volume$
    after this windows will ask for username and password. and guess what? you might get "access denied" error.
    this is because you are using your Microsoft account to login to the windows. you need to have a local account to do this.

-The problem with sharing a drive/s on a computer is, everyone on your network will have access to that drive just by typing the "\\Machine Name" in windows explorer.
    -but there is a problem with local accounts! still everyone on the network can have access to that specific machine by typing \\machine Name\username\Volume$

So now we have a computer that uses Microsoft account(lets call it the Server Machine) to login to the windows and we want only specific users(lets call them Client Machines) on the network to have access to its hard drive while other users can only have access to \\Machine Name\share folder
    here is what you have to do :
    1. login to Server Machine using Microsoft account
    2. go to Computer Management (type computer Management)
    3. system tools> local Users and Groups > users
    4. right click on Administrator, select Properties
    5. uncheck the check box with value of: " Account is disabled"
    6. close the Properties window and right click on Administrator again
    7. click on set password and set your password for administrator account
    8. on the Client machine type \\machine name\d$(for example) windows will ask for credentials and this time for username type : Machine Name\Administrator and for the password use the password you just set on step 6.
    now you have access to server machine hard drive without sharing the drives or without using a local account to login to that computer.

:)

injaneb, Jul 21, 2016

2. Using VPN to access network drives

Hi. I have 2 windows 10 Pro PCs on two different domains.

Computer A creates the VPN

Computer B connects to the VPN

Computer C is on the same network

I created a VPN on one of them so I can access remote desktop and hard drives on it. However, I do not know how to access my hard drive on computer A on my computer B. I configured the hard drive that I want to share as a network drive, and I can access
    the hard drive on Computer C, but not on computer B.

What shall I do? Thanks

Chi Kiu ****, Jul 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 post patch KB3176936, unable to show contents on shared USB disk drives

So I survived the patch (it broke the PIN login but I still have my password to get in) but none of my 2 USB hard drives are showing any content when sharing. The hard drives have not problem at all since I can browse contents and write info to them from
    the machine, but if I try to access them from a share, they will show no content no matter what combination of filesystem and file share permissions I try (everyone full control on both configs for example). I have other hard disks on the same computer shared
    that work normally.

Regards.

MarcoPinones, Jul 21, 2016
  4. Access to a computer hard drive without sharing.

Great Observation.. Thanks for sharing

manish9009, Jul 22, 2016
Thema:

Access to a computer hard drive without sharing.

1. Access to a computer hard drive without sharing. - Similar Threads - Access computer hard

2. Cannot access Mapped Network Drive without rebooting Shared Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access Mapped Network Drive without rebooting Shared Computer: On my main computer Windows 10 at work I have two network drives, each mapped to a folder on a different machine both Windows 11. The two machines also have a network drive mapped to each other same folder. One of the computers with the shared folder let's call it the green...
  3. Cannot access Mapped Network Drive without rebooting Shared Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access Mapped Network Drive without rebooting Shared Computer: On my main computer Windows 10 at work I have two network drives, each mapped to a folder on a different machine both Windows 11. The two machines also have a network drive mapped to each other same folder. One of the computers with the shared folder let's call it the green...
  4. Cannot access Mapped Network Drive without rebooting Shared Computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Access to hard drive external to computer

Access to hard drive external to computer: I recently bought a new desktop computer and loaded my data on to it from backups. I had a problem and wanted to access the hard drive from the old computer, so I installed it in a hard drive enclosure and plugged it into the new computer. However I cannot access the data on...
  6. Sharing a hard drive across computers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing a hard drive across computers: Hey everyone, I have multiple Windows 10 computers in my home, and I work with various art and video editing programs. I would like the hard drive that contains the work files and the raw assets to be shared among my computers so that I can edit from any computer in the...
  7. New computer without internal hard drive

New computer without internal hard drive: Just bought a computer without an internal hard drive. I also have an external hard drive to use with this computer. How should I set it up the computer and install new programs. At this time I do not want to use Onedrive and cloud. Thank you now for any advice someone...
  8. Sharing hard drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sharing hard drives: I'm running Windows 10 build 1803 on my desktop and notebook and have an external hard drive connected to my desktop. Connecting my external hard drive to my notebook was easy when Windows had Homegroup, but, now that it's gone, I am having a hard time in getting my notebook...
  9. Can't access network usb shared hard drive

Can't access network usb shared hard drive: I may have posted this before, so I apologize for being repetitive. I have a hard drive that is connect to my modem / router via a usb connection. The drive is accessed via \\mynetwork\NETWORKHD After rebooting my router, this will work for some number of days before...
  10. Can't access network usb shared hard drive

Can't access network usb shared hard drive: I have a usb connected hard drive connected to my Bell 2000 router. The instructions to access this drive is to go to the Documents folder and enter \\mynetwork. This then shows the shared hard drive as \\mynetwork\NETWORKHD. If I now click on NETWORKHD I get the following:...