Windows 10: access to a network drive by a win10 user

Discus and support access to a network drive by a win10 user in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hi all, I have a small network and from a pc, even by a single user who has access from that pc, I do not see an external drive on the network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mfran2002, Dec 12, 2017.

1. mfran2002 Win User

access to a network drive by a win10 user

hi all,
    I have a small network and from a pc, even by a single user who has access from that pc, I do not see an external drive on the network

another user who logs in from that pc has no problems

all the other PCs and their users see that drive, no configuration made to see the drive

I think I've tried them all, I think ... does anyone have ideas on what I could check on the settings of the individual user?

Thanks in advance

:)

mfran2002, Dec 12, 2017

2. Restrict Network Drive Access to User

Hi Beach,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there network discovery option is enabled on the computer.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "kids have a local account", is the child account configured as standard user account on the computer?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to hide the network discovery of the computer in the shared network.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type "HomeGroup" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Then click on Change Advanced sharing settings.

4. Expand Private.

5. Turn off network discovery.

5. Expand Guest or Public.

6. Then turn off network discovery
    option.

7. Click on Save changes button.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with restricting network drives to the child account, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Dec 12, 2017
  3. Restrict Network Drive Access to User

Greetings:

My kids and I use the same computer (Windows10). I have mapped network drives to file explorer. I have the administrator user account and the kids have a local account.

I want to prevent the kids user account access to my network drives. Is this possible...or hide them from view when they are logged into their account? I understand how I could achieve this with a local drive. I've also tried group policy to prevent
    access under my computer but the doesn't allow me access to the drive. Any help is appreciated....thanks in advance...John

Beach Farmer, Dec 12, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

It's possible that this PC sees the network as public rather than private. In that case, it won't be able to access local network resources, whether self-advertising or shared. You can check your network status by clicking the wired or wireless networking icon in the notification area of the taskbar. You'll see something like this:

access to a network drive by a win10 user [​IMG]

Notice the word "Private" in front of network. If yours says "Public" instead, you need to change that over. To do that, click "Change connection properties" then click the radio button next to Private under the Network profile heading at the top of the resulting pop-up window. You'll need to confirm that selection in the notification center, and then you should be good to go.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: I had this happen to several of my Win10 Pro and Enterprise installations immediately after upgrading to the Fall Creator's Update, and have dealt with this on other, previous upgrades. Thus you might be in the same situation. It's easy to check, and easy to fix, fortunately.

EdTittel, Dec 12, 2017
  5. mfran2002 Win User
    Hi Ed and thank you very much for your reply!

i'll go soon to check it out

only a doubt: what makes me crazy is the different behaviour between users on the same pc... shouldn't be a pc configuration and so the same for everyone logged in?

mfran2002, Dec 12, 2017
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Ohhh.... lightbulb goes off .... that means it's an account issue. It may be easiest (and fastest) to create a new account for the problem account and migrate the files, then migrate or recreate its settings and preferences. Here's a discussion from answers.ms.com on how to do this: Transfer of settings and files between user accounts - Microsoft Community.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. access to a network drive by a win10 user - Similar Threads - access network drive

2. Network drive not accessible for the same network users multiple times per week

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network drive not accessible for the same network users multiple times per week: At my company we have several network drives that get automatically mapped through GPO when network users sign in. For longer than I have been with the company we have had an issue with specific users not being able to access a specific network drive. I apologize for the lack...
  3. Network drive not accessible for the same network users multiple times per week

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network drive not accessible for the same network users multiple times per week: At my company we have several network drives that get automatically mapped through GPO when network users sign in. For longer than I have been with the company we have had an issue with specific users not being able to access a specific network drive. I apologize for the lack...
  4. Network drive not accessible for the same network users multiple times per week

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. User constantly losing access to network drive

User constantly losing access to network drive: I have users with network drives mapped one of our servers. Only we employee has a problem - she loses access to the drive. The red X shows up, however, the shortcut is not clickable. If you click it, the screen turns white and eventually times out. If trying to access it...
  6. Access network drive after autologin with another user not possible

Access network drive after autologin with another user not possible: Hello together, I´ve got the following problem: The PC I´m talking about is configured with a general autologon user. Is the user logged in, he has the possibility to connect to a network drive to access his specific files with the personal user, which are stored on the...
  7. Network Drive is not accessible: The user name or password is incorrect.

Network Drive is not accessible: The user name or password is incorrect.: Hi all, I'm having issues retaining connection to my network drives home network Synology NAS on reboot. To start: I believe this is a Windows problem, as I had the drives mapped to this same machine before I did a clean windows install. I have no problems connection to,...
  8. (Network Drive) is not accessible: The user name or password is incorrect.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    (Network Drive) is not accessible: The user name or password is incorrect.: [ATTACH] Hi all, I'm having issues retaining connection to my network drives (home network Synology NAS) on reboot. To start: I believe this is a Windows problem, as I had the drives mapped to this same machine before I did a clean windows install. I have no problems...
  9. USB drive not accessible in Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB drive not accessible in Win10: I have several drives that I use for backups. I am finding that when I unplug and replug them that I get a dialog the they are not accessible, access denied. I do use the hardware eject to remove them safely. When they are plugged in, they come up with the previously assigned...
  10. Can't access network drive

Can't access network drive: I did a clean install of 1809 on my secondary system a couple of days ago to get rid of an untraceable problem that caused WD to shut down. The WD problem was solved, but I am now unable to access a drive (E:) from other PCs. Another drive (F:) is immediately accessible on...