Windows 10: Access to external hard drive denied on another laptop

Discus and support Access to external hard drive denied on another laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We have two windows 10 laptops (both locked with a different password). I have been experiencing several difficulties trying to setup a sharing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by myrtsbnye, Nov 23, 2016.

1. myrtsbnye Win User

Access to external hard drive denied on another laptop

We have two windows 10 laptops (both locked with a different password). I have been experiencing several difficulties trying to setup a sharing network, I'll get into that a later date.

Since I have been having several difficulties with the network thing we have had to settle for the old fashioned sneaker network (picture files on an external drive then connecting to whatever laptop the user wants to use). Problem is the external drive (WD passport 2 TB) works as expected on my laptop but when connected to my wife's laptop there are two folders that she doesn't have permission to access. All folders are set to share with everyone and the security settings re set to allow everyone full control. I google the problem and followed all suggestions to no avail. Why is this so difficult?

Thanks.

:)

myrtsbnye, Nov 23, 2016

2. I can see the external hard disk/usb drive but cannot access it in my laptop

Whenever I plug any external hard disk or usb drive, my laptop is recognising it and showing in my drive list, but I cannot access the content of the drives. It says access denied. How can I access ?

Roohullah Mohammed, Nov 23, 2016
  3. Can't access Windows 10 formatted C Drive

Something went wrong during recent Windows 10 update and Windows 10 Laptop can not be restored. So before clean reinstall of Windows 10, I removed the Hard Drive from Laptop to copy files from it as an external Hard Drive but unlike older Windows versions,
    I get the Access Denied message and can not access contents of this Hard Drive (Windows 10 formatted C Drive from my Laptop).

Jung-il Kim, Nov 23, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

The simple answer is to save files to Google drive or ms one drive if you both use the same account and save there they will show on the other PC on its own and be safe on the cloud. You need to check security on the folders if you created them you will own them hence no one else can see them

Samuria, Nov 23, 2016
  5. myrtsbnye Win User
    Thanks for the reply. But there are nearly 1 Tb of files and I don't want to use the cloud for this type of storage (to cheap mainly).

I did check the security of the folders and it is set so everyone have full control still no access on the second laptop.

myrtsbnye, Nov 23, 2016
  6. Samuria Win User
    Have you checked all properties there are properties on both the share and ntfs

Samuria, Nov 24, 2016
  7. Railtech Win User
    Railtech, Nov 24, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Third party security program is usually the culprit. LAN gets listed as a Public in Windows, and same as the Security software that a person is running, because they just install the product and never take the time to slow down and setup properly.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Access to external hard drive denied on another laptop - Similar Threads - Access external hard

2. External Hard Drive Access Denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive Access Denied: My external hard drive stopped working from one day to the next. The only changes I made to my system is that I let windows update run when I turned off my computer the day before. The next day when starting my computer it said "no master boot record found" or something...
  3. External Hard Drive Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Access Denied: My external hard drive stopped working from one day to the next. The only changes I made to my system is that I let windows update run when I turned off my computer the day before. The next day when starting my computer it said "no master boot record found" or something...
  4. External Hard Drive Access Denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External Hard Drive - Access Denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive - Access Denied: I have always taken a backup onto an external hard drive every few weeks. The drive recently stopped working with an "Access Denied" error when I browse to it in explorer.I have a second new external drive and get the same problem.From disk manager, i deleted the volume,...
  6. External Hard Drive - Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive - Access Denied: I have always taken a backup onto an external hard drive every few weeks. The drive recently stopped working with an "Access Denied" error when I browse to it in explorer.I have a second new external drive and get the same problem.From disk manager, i deleted the volume,...
  7. External Hard Drive - Access Denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. External hard drive access denied

External hard drive access denied: I cannot access my external hard drive. I was able to previously, after creating a new volume using Disk Management. I moved about 500GB of personal data and since I was able to access it, I deleted the original copy, so what's in the drive is the only copy of the data and I...
  9. External Hard Drive Access Denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive Access Denied: I have Iomega External Hard Drive and it is assigned Drive: F within my File Explorer. When I select it, it tells me I am denied access I follow the prompts but I am not sure how to populate the fields to obtain access. What do I do?...
  10. External Hard Drive Access Denied

External Hard Drive Access Denied: I am not able to access my external HDD at all. It's a seagate 2TB 9SF2A8-500, if that helps? I keep getting this message saying "Location is not available" "F:\ is not accessible. Access Denied". I feel like I've tried everything! [ATTACH] This started happening with...